Video: Okeye on Olawale from last year

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was talking the offense in general. But yeah that was wide open and unfortunate.

The dude has wheels and hands, I’m hopeful

gotcha. Coaches get screwed if the play doesn't work. They like to stick to what they do well and to what normally works aka run zeke. So easy to say call these "different plays" but like this olewale play where it should have worked and didn't it scares the coaches from trying again. Looking at the saints game I saw brown move all over the formation, Fullback to tight end to receiver but linehan didn't call a specific play to him for some weird reason. I just hope moore has the guts to try more than hand off to zeke, even if it doesn't work the 1st time.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a coaching staff in the NFL that does less with the talent on the roster than Dallas.

The game is about exploiting mismatches— and we just don’t seem to understand how to use our guys to dictate problems for a defense and free up players to dominate

This is my chief complaint about the coaching staff. Lack of creativity and innovation that’s needed to be above the rest.

That and, every day wondering *** does Garrett do on a day to day basis?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We see this EVERY year with Garrett and Linehan. They bring some guys in during the offseason and we get excited to see what they are going to do with them and its never anything.

Last year it was Olowalli and Tavon Austin. Heard all this stuff about Tavon. They didn't do diddly with either of them. Key reason why anyone that says Garrett isn't a problem here, is blind. This is only ONE example of why he is a horrid football mind and a handicap with scheme, personnel use, and gameday management.

We ran the jet sweep and fake jet sweep with Austin. How much more do you want?!!

gimmesix

Reaction score
Gee, lets give the ball to the fullback!

We got over 2000 yards of total offense out of our top RB. Production at RB is not an issue

I don't think anyone is advocating for Olawale to be handed the ball more than a couple of times per game. For me, it's about using him more in the passing game instead of inserting a second tight end. As a lead blocker, Olawale can flare out of the backfield as a short- to mid-range receiving option, be handed the ball on a fullback dive or even be motioned out of the backfield. This puts more stress on the defense because it would have to acknowledge him as a player it needs to account for rather than just one who is going to either lead block or do nothing.

If he draws linebacker or safety coverage, it opens up other options in the passing game. If he successfully runs a few fullback dives, then linebackers and defensive linemen have to check for that instead of just keying on Elliott and Dak.

Imagine lining up for a third-and-short with the possibilities that Elliott, Olawale or Austin (on the jet sweep) can be handed the ball or Dak could keep it. The little bit of hesitation that causes could be the difference in succeeding or failing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is advocating for Olawale to be handed the ball more than a couple of times per game. For me, it's about using him more in the passing game instead of inserting a second tight end. As a lead blocker, Olawale can flare out of the backfield as a short- to mid-range receiving option, be handed the ball on a fullback dive or even be motioned out of the backfield. This puts more stress on the defense because it would have to acknowledge him as a player it needs to account for rather than just one who is going to either lead block or do nothing.

If he draws linebacker or safety coverage, it opens up other options in the passing game. If he successfully runs a few fullback dives, then linebackers and defensive linemen have to check for that instead of just keying on Elliott and Dak.

Imagine lining up for a third-and-short with the possibilities that Elliott, Olawale or Austin (on the jet sweep) can be handed the ball or Dak could keep it. The little bit of hesitation that causes could be the difference in succeeding or failing.

Imagine lining up that way for 3rd and short and Olawale being stuffed. Our staff would be ridiculed for not giving Zeke the ball.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think we finished about where our talent ought to have taken us last year. Which begs the question of how bad the utilization really is if we’re getting where we should expect to get with the roster we’ve got.

When I hear Brian Broaddus going on about how we’ve got a top-ten roster and the issue is coaching, I count on all ten fingers and then scratch my head.

Regular season wins get you into the playoffs. Coaching and proper personnel utilization gets you wins in the playoffs.

We got outcoached on both sides of the ball in LA. And our owner blamed the cleats and field conditions.

The way our season ended is a microcosm of everything that is currently wrong with this franchise.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Imagine lining up that way for 3rd and short and Olawale being stuffed. Our staff would be ridiculed for not giving Zeke the ball.

They shouldn't be unless they are doing it on every third down, because it shows a willingness to not do what is expected.

They would be by fans, the same ones who are asking the staff to be more creative but then get mad when something different fails.

We can't have it both ways, either we want the team to not be predictable, even if it fails on occasion, or we want them to stick with the usual, even if it fails on occasion. Me? I'd rather be "creative" and fail then continually run what the defense is expecting us to run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would have let him go and used Rod Smith as aFB when needed, as little as we used him last year and with Smith not being the answer at RB2, Rsmith would be better suited for FB and RB3 dutys with heavy ST..OLY is a waste of money unless they have well defined plan with the new oC..

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think he has talent that was way under utilized; however, the video narrator goes way over-board in claiming no LB can handle him and that he is similar to DeMarco Murray in his prime.

I haven't watched the clip, but I had no idea David Irving had moved onto player analysis in his social media streams.