Twitter: OL Terence Steele discusses last season penalty issues

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People don't acknowledge it because they're the sane people that don't go looking for a CONSPIRACY! boogeyman when things don't go their way. Ever wonder why Zack Martin doesn't have "bogus" calls go against him? Skill and actual discipline might have something to do with it. Just a hunch.

You make a really good point regarding Zach, the thing that drives me to a level nine head explosion and subsequent melt down is the consistency of the holding calls thru-out the league, throw that in with some of the timing of the inconsistent calls and it does get frustrating.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You make a really good point regarding Zach, the thing that drives me to a level nine head explosion and subsequent melt down is the consistency of the holding calls thru-out the league, throw that in with some of the timing of the inconsistent calls and it does get frustrating.

Can't take credit for the Zach Martin point. It came from another poster who actually crunched numbers plus also showed that Tyron Smith's penalties increased after his injury. Always looks good when an argument is supported by data versus a vague, salacious assertion with absolutely nothing behind it, which is the 'spiracy folks' M.O.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

1. Holding is always a subjective call

2. Penalties are always untimely

CCBoy

Reaction score
McCarthy is making it a focus point after the season. No wonder Jerry was pissed at a moronic statement like that.
After action reports are exactly what good teams fully develop at the grass roots this time of season. Recognition of just this aspect now has to be retained through the entire season...as well as hitting the jaw of your opponent at the opening whistle to the final gun.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Philbin developed UDFA Steele into a decent starting RT.

He developed Biadasz enough to start, even if he is not a great starter.

In the 5 games in 2020 with Dak, the Cowboys were leading the league yards by a wide margin while the majority of snaps at OT were by a rookie and 2nd year UDFA(s).

My only concern is the penalties. Connor Williams penalties in 2021 were about 3x his penalties in any other season.
- La'el had almost the same penalty per snap played rate as CW in 2021.

It will help that those 2 players are gone; however, Tyler Smith's only issue in college was penalties.

Green Bay got by with holding. When Dallas OLinemen used the same techniques, they got called for it.

Good observation...pad levels and picking up double moves will be the work station now.

Praxit

Reaction score
...it was an issue all season, then it blew up on SF game. How's that for better fix it, before wheel falls off.

fredp22

Reaction score
answer tells you a lot and sort of bothers me
"......uuuhhh think its cause we werent on the same page and umm ...some technique problems"

what a bs nothing answer. Sounded like he really had no idea why. Tells you the team never really addressed it or tried to coach the o-line through it. McCarthy didnt even mention penalties till the end of the SF game. Even Jerry said it was a problem that should have been addressed in first few games of the season.
same M.O.- above average talented team but with horrible coaching that just keeps this team from going anywhere

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
everyone blames McCarthy for being a slob, doesn't know what he's doing - whatever it may be. No one acknowledges since Jerry went against Gooddell nothing good has come to us, propped up Zeke suspension, stupid calls, everyone Tryon Smith holding call that is at the most untimely manner, and every other sham holding call our line seems to get that other teams do not. On top of this, I barely see Dak called for roughing the passer - there definitely is some kind of sticking point when it comes to officiating the Cowboys. The Raiders game says it all from last year.
Most don't want to believe this is true. But it is. Never saw anything like this is in the 70's or 80's.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
1. Holding is always a subjective call

2. Penalties are always untimely
Nah the biggest conspiracy was our 2016 game against the packers. The penalties were garbage calls and all had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. There were 3-4 calls that directly impacted points either for us taken away or gave them points. It was 1000% egregious.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Penalties are mainly a result of poor discipline.
Which falls on coaching.
I played football from 5th grade to varsity and only committed 2 penalties in all those years.
How'd you get 2 penalties from the bench??? :laugh:

jnday

Reaction score

Why wasn’t the penalty issue fixed during the season last year? Decreasing penalties is something that could have been addressed on a weekly basis. The problem should have never made it to the offseason without being fixed. I remember MM being criticized last season for not addressing it weekly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes. Around the league Philbin is viewed as one of the best OL coaches. So much so that he rose to the ranks of head coach. But yeah, he's an idiot. Never the players.

All the players, including one inevitable HOF player, and one borderline HOF player, all became bums just when Philbin showed up.

Yeah, that's more credible than Philbin sucking.

plymkr

Reaction score
Most don't want to believe this is true. But it is. Never saw anything like this is in the 70's or 80's.
Me neither. In 70's and 80's it seemed to be more consistent across the board. But in the 70's and 80's they didn't have social media, the internet and other things to push storylines on a daily basis.

plymkr

Reaction score
Nah the biggest conspiracy was our 2016 game against the packers. The penalties were garbage calls and all had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. There were 3-4 calls that directly impacted points either for us taken away or gave them points. It was 1000% egregious.
All I got to say about the 2016 playoff game was they called a penalty on us that wasn't called for 13 years prior to that game. So in 13 years of football that penalty was never committed in pre, regular or postseason play but when we were driving and gaining momentum the penalty was called. Yeah sounds legit to me.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Penalties are mainly a result of poor discipline.
Which falls on coaching.
I played football from 5th grade to varsity and only committed 2 penalties in all those years.
I remember my first game starting Varsity basketball.
Very first thing I did was instantaneous: Offensive foul.
I bowled over a player while driving for a layup.
I gave the ref a stare down and I could see coach yelling at me to get my booty down on defense.
I quickly learned from there.

I passed more. Made me a better player.