Old I love beer. A lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I drink it at breakfast. I drink it at lunch. I drink it a dinner and even at brunch.

I drink German imports. Russian stouts. American IPA's. Italian lagers (not my favorite, very bland), American lagers (same taste profile, more or less, as their Italian counterpart), ales, Heffs... the list goes on and on, and I have many favorite brands. But this isn't about specific awesome beers (I'm sure there's a thread or ten on that subject, and I would love to add to that :) ).

I'm told these are signs of alcoholism (in all the literature I read on the subject, anything more than 14 drinks a week for a male is considered excessive, or 4 a day, by various studied sources).

I do that in one day, usually. I realize this is taboo, to admit to drinking this often in the open, and so nonchalant... and that I may be judged. So it goes. Here's my caveat:

I pay my bills, I have a home, I'm a great daddy, I don't drive drunk.

I'm jovial and expressive, instead of downtrodden and depressed.

The VA would rather give me a ton of medication and have me a zombie, yet beer seems to give me the same results: a positive outlook on life, and a way to get past the year that haunts me (not going there).

So, folks, anyone have any feedback. Am I in denial? I've made it no secret how much I drink in many of my posts (also to note, I'm 30). Many of my battle buddies and family drink, so I see them doing the same. That's no excuse, but again, I am harming no one (other than my liver).

What say you? Are there others here in the same boat? Please don't feel compelled to post in here, and if this thread gets buried, maybe that's a good thing. I'm also not some depressed dude, crying out for help. This is simply -- am I excessive and/or are there others here who indulge this much? Any sort of feedback is appreciated. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There are lots of functioning alcoholics.
If you can't go without drinking for an entire day you probably should seek some professional help.

Lots of ex-military drink as self-medicating.
My dad was a Vietnam vet that did this.
He came back hooked on morphine and switched to alcohol.
He overcame it but it did shorten his life span.

Be aware of his effects on your long-term health and seek medical help if necessary.

Alcohol may well save some lives as a self-medicating tool but it is really impactful on health over time.

Thank you for your service and all my best.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I drink it at breakfast. I drink it at lunch. I drink it a dinner and even at brunch.

I drink German imports. Russian stouts. American IPA's. Italian lagers (not my favorite, very bland), American lagers (same taste profile, more or less, as their Italian counterpart), ales, Heffs... the list goes on and on, and I have many favorite brands. But this isn't about specific awesome beers (I'm sure there's a thread or ten on that subject, and I would love to add to that :) ).

I'm told these are signs of alcoholism (in all the literature I read on the subject, anything more than 14 drinks a week for a male is considered excessive, or 4 a day, by various studied sources).

I do that in one day, usually. I realize this is taboo, to admit to drinking this often in the open, and so nonchalant... and that I may be judged. So it goes. Here's my caveat:

I pay my bills, I have a home, I'm a great daddy, I don't drive drunk.

I'm jovial and expressive, instead of downtrodden and depressed.

The VA would rather give me a ton of medication and have me a zombie, yet beer seems to give me the same results: a positive outlook on life, and a way to get past the year that haunts me (not going there).

So, folks, anyone have any feedback. Am I in denial? I've made it no secret how much I drink in many of my posts (also to note, I'm 30). Many of my battle buddies and family drink, so I see them doing the same. That's no excuse, but again, I am harming no one (other than my liver).

What say you? Are there others here in the same boat? Please don't feel compelled to post in here, and if this thread gets buried, maybe that's a good thing. I'm also not some depressed dude, crying out for help. This is simply -- am I excessive and/or are there others here who indulge this much? Any sort of feedback is appreciated. :)
lol. You are doing great Partner. Only mistake...you don't drink and drive...lol..I do that practically every day.hahahah..the Cops here love me..I am an easy 50 bucks a stop. Great country...great police!!! If it weren't for excessive booze l wouldn't make it through the week.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
There are lots of functioning alcoholics.
If you can't go without drinking for an entire day you probably should seek some professional help.

Lots of ex-military drink as self-medicating.
My dad was a Vietnam vet that did this.
He came back hooked on morphine and switched to alcohol.
He overcame it but it did shorten his life span.

Be aware of his effects on your long-term health and seek medical help if necessary.

Alcohol may well save some lives as a self-medicating tool but it is really impactful on health over time.

Thank you for your service and all my best.

Very sorry to hear that about your pops, J. My heart goes up to a fellow comrade in arms.

My dad, too, is a drinker. He is incredibly successful (I think, at least... I guess it's all relative), but I hear ya.

Hearing "functional alcoholic" stings. Not a dig at you, as I clearly go over what scientific America suggests a person drink. I am fearful of my liver, and I go on sabbaticals where I abstain. But I'm sure it's not enough to offset the alcohol damage.

Damn, why does alcohol have to be so damaging (physically/rhetorical)?!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
lol. You are doing great Partner. Only mistake...you don't drink and drive...lol..I do that practically every day.hahahah..the Cops here love me..I am an easy 50 bucks a stop. Great country...great police!!! If it weren't for excessive booze l wouldn't make it through the week.

Haley!!! Oh man, out here in Los Angeles it's just too risky to do such. We have gnarly traffic and I will never risk it.

You're in Panama, right?

haleyrules

Reaction score
Haley!!! Oh man, out here in Los Angeles it's just too risky to do such. We have gnarly traffic and I will never risk it.

You're in Panama, right?
I live way up in the mountains..the heat here are very understanding...and decent. I couldnt begin to remember how many bribes I have paid. Anyway, a bribe is like a fine. The cops are mostly young with families and the extra dough helps them and it helps me too. Everybody wins. They dont shake anyone down..but, will help you out when your in a jam!!!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I live way up in the mountains..the heat here are very understanding...and decent. I couldnt begin to remember how many bribes I have paid. Anyway, a bribe is like a fine. The cops are mostly young with families and the extra dough helps them and it helps me too. Everybody wins. They dont shake anyone down..but, will help you out when your in a jam!!!

Sounds like a fascinating place to live, man!

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Trouty - were you drinking when you posted this? If you are serious about what you wrote, this a problem. Drinking at breakfast? Do you suffer from chronic pain?

If you are 30, there is time to get a handle on this. Your family and liver will thank you.

I hope the best.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Me personally, I turned into a wine guy at little over a year ago. I would drink wine occasionally, but one day I had the best wine pairing I've ever had. Now, I just like trying as many different wines as I can. I would say 3 our of ever 4 wines I open are wines I've never tasted before.

Though I don't drink during the day. Mostly just open a bottle with dinner.

The only time I really drink during the day would be on the occasional Sundays that my buddy comes by. We generally drink a bottle of wine together during the afternoon while screwing around, then another one with dinner.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Trouty - were you drinking when you posted this? If you are serious about what you wrote, this a problem. Drinking at breakfast? Do you suffer from chronic pain?

If you are 30, there is time to get a handle on this. Your family and liver will thank you.

I hope the best.

I was, Joe.

I do suffer from chronic pain, I have a metal plate in my face, and severe scarring on 35% of my body (lower extremities), and anyone with large surface scarring knows how much it sucks... but that's as far as I want to go re: pain.

Thank you for your input, this is what I was looking for. Appreciate the concern. But again, I don't feel the alcohol is holding me back from my life.

I enjoy my drinks, I also now feel awkward for this thread (as I stated almost immediately lol)

But some interesting feedback on folks drinking habits! Sincerely appreciate those of you with your candid replies. :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So how often do other Zoners drink? Don't be shy :)

Glass of wine once in a while (prefer reds).

I've been over-the-edge drinking wise maybe twice in my life.

With my family history I could have gone berserk with alcohol– both sides of the family were loaded with heavy drinkers.

On my father's side, we had family members living here and another group living an hour away... Every weekend one group would head to where the other group lived for a night of merry-making. Whenever we went to a relatives house, liquor, wine & beer were aplenty.

On my mother's side one of my grandmother's brother was put into the Gowanda, NY Psychiatric Center because of his alcoholism (that's what they did to folks back then– even have home movies of going up and visiting him... Yahoo!)

My godfather (mother's brother) died in his fifties from cirrhosis of the liver.

My grandparents on my mother's side would polish off a bottle of Richards Wild Irish Rose nightly.

One of the earliest memories of my father is him sleeping on the couch with his puke bucket nearby after a bender– He learned quickly or my mother taught him quickly that sort of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in the household.

So I knew that if I "got in" in was going to be hell getting out.

One of my businesses is in a health niche and seeing what excess alcohol can do to the body scares me death.

But it's more than just the alcohol.

Beer is one of the worst things someone can put into their bodies. Yeast fungus is bad for us on so many levels.

Just the excess carbs and calories.

Earlier this week one of my junior high friends passed away- 54, from an apparent heart attack.

He was huge. His belly was massive. It has to take a toll on your heart.

You get one life... That's it. There are no do-overs. If you screw it up, then you've screwed it up.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Glass of wine once in a while (prefer reds).

I've been over-the-edge drinking wise maybe twice in my life.

With my family history I could have gone berserk with alcohol– both sides of the family were loaded with heavy drinkers.

On my father's side, we had family members living here and another group living an hour away... Every weekend one group would head to where the other group lived for a night of merry-making. Whenever we went to a relatives house, liquor, wine & beer were aplenty.

On my mother's side one of my grandmother's brother was put into the Gowanda, NY Psychiatric Center because of his alcoholism (that's what they did to folks back then– even have home movies of going up and visiting him... Yahoo!)

My godfather (mother's brother) died in his fifties from cirrhosis of the liver.

My grandparents on my mother's side would polish off a bottle of Richards Wild Irish Rose nightly.

One of the earliest memories of my father is him sleeping on the couch with his puke bucket nearby after a bender– He learned quickly or my mother taught him quickly that sort of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in the household.

So I knew that if I "got in" in was going to be hell getting out.

One of my businesses is in a health niche and seeing what excess alcohol can do to the body scares me death.

But it's more than just the alcohol.

Beer is one of the worst things someone can put into their bodies. Yeast fungus is bad for us on so many levels.

Just the excess carbs and calories.

Earlier this week one of my junior high friends passed away- 54, from an apparent heart attack.

He was huge. His belly was massive. It has to take a toll on your heart.

You get one life... That's it. There are no do-overs. If you screw it up, then you've screwed it up.

Wow, Mike, wow. Thank you so very much for sharing.

I guess it is somewhat scary, reading stories like your own. As far as I know, alcoholism runs deep in my family as well (already mentioned my dad). But the rest of the family is very silent about such things, as it's considered a slight or embarrassment to show weakness or a need of any substance.

My grandpa, a very successful real estate agent in Toluca Lake (played golf regularly with Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Tennessee Williams -- he was older when he had my mom) had a drinking "problem" that was always hushed, never talked about. He lived to 83 and died of Parkinson's. But he drank to the very end. I was three months old when he passed, but he was a figurehead of the family, so there's plenty of stories. We have many pictures of him holding me in the short time we we're together on this earth.

My mom was a teetotaler, maybe because of her dad, but unfortunately passed away to cancer when I was 17. I'm not sure of any alcohol related deaths in the family, but I know my great aunt, Neville, committed suicide, and it's been suggested that alcohol played a very big part in her life. I have a very large family, and behind the scenes, rumors abound. I hide my everyday drinking from them, but I'm sure they know. They just kinda let me be, they know my heart and love for them and I feel like they feel sorry for me. It is what it is.

Alcohol can be gnarly, that is for sure. But at times I think it's overstated (probly denial). :)

Thanks for you candid reply, Michael.

Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.