Old I love beer. A lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoov

Reaction score
Me personally, I turned into a wine guy at little over a year ago. I would drink wine occasionally, but one day I had the best wine pairing I've ever had. Now, I just like trying as many different wines as I can. I would say 3 our of ever 4 wines I open are wines I've never tasted before.

Though I don't drink during the day. Mostly just open a bottle with dinner.

The only time I really drink during the day would be on the occasional Sundays that my buddy comes by. We generally drink a bottle of wine together during the afternoon while screwing around, then another one with dinner.
pretty much this is it for me too.

I drink wine most evenings. may drink 2-4 glasses on week nights - a little more on weekends.

Pretty much avoid the hard stuff now. I drink because I enjoy the taste and relaxing effects, also enjoy sampling many different types of wine. Don't mind getting a little tipsy but don't like getting to the point where im rambling on about a lot of nonsense.

As far as alcohol for use of pain relief and soreness I found that I tended to overdue it when using for that reason and that advil was much more effective.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
pretty much this is it for me too.

I drink wine most evenings. may drink 2-4 glasses on week nights - a little more on weekends.

Pretty much avoid the hard stuff now. I drink because I enjoy the taste and relaxing effects, also enjoy sampling many different types of wine. Don't mind getting a little tipsy but don't like getting to the point where im rambling on about a lot of nonsense.

As far as alcohol for use of pain relief and soreness I found that I tended to overdue it when using for that reason and that advil was much more effective.

I never get drunk, either (shouldn't say "never," it's just very rare). Hate the feeling of losing myself and my faculties. I think of myself as a steady drinker. :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, Mike, wow. Thank you so very much for sharing.

I guess it is somewhat scary, reading stories like your own. As far as I know, alcoholism runs deep in my family as well (already mentioned my dad). But the rest of the family is very silent about such things, as it's considered a slight or embarrassment to show weakness or a need of any substance.

My grandpa, a very successful real estate agent in Toluca Lake (played golf regularly with Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Tennessee Williams -- he was older when he had my mom) had a drinking "problem" that was always hushed, never talked about. He lived to 83 and died of Parkinson's. But he drank to the very end. I was three months old when he passed, but he was a figurehead of the family, so there's plenty of stories. We have many pictures of him holding me in the short time we we're together on this earth.

My mom was a teetotaler, maybe because of her dad, but unfortunately passed away to cancer when I was 17. I'm not sure of any alcohol related deaths in the family, but I know my great aunt, Neville, committed suicide, and it's been suggested that alcohol played a very big part in her life. I have a very large family, and behind the scenes, rumors abound. I hide my everyday drinking from them, but I'm sure they know. They just kinda let me be, they know my heart and love for them and I feel like they feel sorry for me. It is what it is.

Alcohol can be gnarly, that is for sure. But at times I think it's overstated (probly denial). :)

Thanks for you candid reply, Michael.

Any others?

Thanks Trouty!

Everyone has to live in their own skin.

I'd love to hear of you making adjustments in your life where you can look forward to your retirement years (or simply having retirement years) and not being remembered for anything other than the positive by those generations that come after you.

It's sad, my relatives that had the most severe alcohol issues are remembered for exactly that.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
lol. NEVER?? There is an old saying " You can hide from the Police and you can hide from your Wife...but you can never hide from Yourself"..lol:).

It is indeed, rare, Haley. I get that good buzz going and when it starts to escalate I put a little grub in my belly and it goes back down to where I like it. I have it down to a science. There are times where I go a bit more into the drunkenness spectrum, usually at ball games/hockey games, but I don't want to scare my child with erratic or loud behavior (he's always with me), so I do everything I can to just stay "functional" and jovial.

But I loved the quote!!! :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Thanks Trouty!

Everyone has to live in their own skin.

I'd love to hear of you making adjustments in your life where you can look forward to your retirement years (or simply having retirement years) and not being remembered for anything other than the positive by those generations that come after you.

It's sad, my relatives that had the most severe alcohol issues are remembered for exactly that.

Thank you, Michael. You're words are caring and appreciated.

I do want to say (not directed at you Mr. Winicki), this isn't a thread meant for a cry for help. Just an honest thread where members who want to share can disclose how much they partake. Just to get an idea, I suppose, how often Zoners imbibe.

Lots of amazing feedback, thus far!

Any others?

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I was, Joe.

I do suffer from chronic pain, I have a metal plate in my face, and severe scarring on 35% of my body (lower extremities), and anyone with large surface scarring knows how much it sucks... but that's as far as I want to go re: pain.

Thank you for your input, this is what I was looking for. Appreciate the concern. But again, I don't feel the alcohol is holding me back from my life.

I enjoy my drinks, I also now feel awkward for this thread (as I stated almost immediately lol)

But some interesting feedback on folks drinking habits! Sincerely appreciate those of you with your candid replies. :)

I rarely drink. Only a handful of times each year (which is shocking as kids can drive parents to drink!). It's always been that way. I was the designated driver many of times for friends. What I have seen is that friends that were college drinking, continued that same consumption into their adult lives. They still drink like they are in school. 21 years old and 41 years old is a big difference to be drinking the same way.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you, Michael. You're words are caring and appreciated.

I do want to say (not directed at you Mr. Winicki), this isn't a thread meant for a cry for help. Just an honest thread where members who want to share can disclose how much they partake. Just to get an idea, I suppose, how often Zoners imbibe.

Lots of amazing feedback, thus far!

Any others?

Thanks Trouty!

I'm not suggesting everyone be alcohol free... Not at all.

I know myself a glass of wine can be very enjoyable just like a glass of suds for someone else.

Just gotta know what amount is truly right for you... Not what you want to be believe is right, but what is truly right.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I rarely drink. Only a handful of times each year (which is shocking as kids can drive parents to drink!). It's always been that way. I was the designated driver many of times for friends. What I have seen is that friends that were college drinking, continued that same consumption into their adult lives. They still drink like they are in school. 21 years old and 41 years old is a big difference to be drinking the same way.

If I may ask, what are those occasions, Joe?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From what I've read, alcohol consumption is down compared to previous decades, but I think many that could be more into alcohol are now into drugs.

I think that started in the 60's.

Funny you watch many of the movies and TV shows of the 40's & 50's... Cigarettes & alcohol.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
From what I've read, alcohol consumption is down compared to previous decades, but I think many that could be more into alcohol are now into drugs.

I think that started in the 60's.

Funny you watch many of the movies and TV shows of the 40's & 50's... Cigarettes & alcohol.

Cigarette consumption (is it "consumption?" Lol) is down, which is awesome. Many former smokers are vaping, now, instead. Vaping is still largely in the dark, as it hasn't been extensively studied. But it is finally offering a very, very viable alternative to cigarettes, and most experts (almost unanimously) do agree that vaping is safer than cigarettes.

Marijuana has cut heavily into the the alcohol biz, as well as cutting into Big Pharma. We're seeing a shift as the largest consumer demographic (millennials) are choosing new ways to satiate their addictions and relieve pain.

In the 40s and 50s over 50% (yes, 50%) used tobacco. Big Tobacco has jumped on the vape wagon as they also shift and evolve with the consumer... and the FDA has still yet to regulate it. Scary.

I would start a marijuana thread (I don't partake, but I support it), but I think many would be scared/wary to admit it/post in it. :)

Shunpike

Reaction score
My drinking is mostly related with football. When there is football, I drink. When there isn't football I don't drink.

During football season, I drink a 6 pack on Sundays and that's it. Also occasional wine with my wife on Friday nights or Saturday nights while watching a good movie after putting our kids to bed.

When it isn't football season, my beer drinking goes down significantly. Only wine remains for that movie nights with my wife.

When I am on business trips on company dime, I drink a lot. On international trips I fly business so I try to take advantage of lounges and drinks on the flight. But that is 3-4 times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.