Oline of the near future

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
DanTanna;1485242 said:
So this flies n the face of Denver's smaller, quicker "dancing bear" OL HUH? :laugh1:

Interesting bit of trivia. In the early 90s Dallas had the biggest Oline and San Francisco had the smallest. Both were very successful with their plan.

Reaction score
Dalmations202;1485420 said:
Just something that wouldn't surprise me:

LT: Doug Free-6'6" 324
LG: Leonard Davis-6'6" 370
C: Andre Gurode-6'4" 312
RG: James Marten-6'7" 303
RT: Marc Colombo- 6'8" 320

Swing: Pat McQuistan-6'6" 316

Wouldn't surprise me if LD moves to the left side with Free, and Marten moves inside, while keeping Columbo.

I really could see this being the starting OL in 2008. Especially if Marten and Free put on a little weight and strength respectively.

I agree with you. I really could see this as the OL of the future even if they do not switch the side Leonard play. But if these guys can paly up to potential and gel into a cohesive unit, the Boys are set for the next 10yrs. But McQ will be in the mix in some form.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think you have Martin and Free backwards...there's a reason Martin went quite a bit before Free.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wayne motley;1485901 said:
I think you have Martin and Free backwards...there's a reason Martin went quite a bit before Free.

when talking about Free, Jerry said that someone told him that he could be a LT for 10 years, and Free projects to LT better than Marten does

I could be wrong, but if I had to say who plays which tackle spot, I would peg Free at LT and Marten at RT

I really have no idea why Marten went higher, he's not as big, athletic, or have the LT experience that Free has, not knocking the choice, just saying

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I believe Marten played some guard, and he isn't supposed to be too quick of feet, so it wouldn't surprise me if he moves back inside. If Marten and Davis man the guards, and Free takes Adams spot, Colombo could be a fixture at RT for a long time. Free was said to have more athleticism and quicker feet to get out on those fast DE's, but wasn't quite strong enough.

I don't know about Pat Mc yet. He was a late round pick. Yes, Big Bill loved him, but he loved Petitti the year before, and then cut him the next year as well. Late round picks scare me when I haven't really seen them do anything yet.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;1485937 said:
I could be wrong, but if I had to say who plays which tackle spot, I would peg Free at LT and Marten at RT

I really have no idea why Marten went higher, he's not as big, athletic, or have the LT experience that Free has, not knocking the choice, just saying
Word out of Valley Ranch over the weekend is Free would be backing Flo and Marten would be backing Colombo. Free slid in the draft and we were lucky to get him. Marten has other suitors so we had to make a move to get him. It does seem like we drafted them in reverse order. It was just the way things worked out. In any case, I am glad we got them.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1486022 said:
Word out of Valley Ranch over the weekend is Free would be backing Flo and Marten would be backing Colombo. Free slid in the draft and we were lucky to get him. Marten has other suitors so we had to make a move to get him. It does seem like we drafted them in reverse order. It was just the way things worked out. In any case, I am glad we got them.

thanks for the information, good stuff

burmafrd

Reaction score
It was not JUST BP that really liked McQ. Do not know why that seems to be so commonly thought. Sparano ALSO sang his praises; AND several teams let BP know that if he tried to put McQ on the practice squad he would lose him right away. So there were quite a few people in the NFL impressed with McQ.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1485937 said:
when talking about Free, Jerry said that someone told him that he could be a LT for 10 years, and Free projects to LT better than Marten does

Martin ran a faster 40 time, I think 5.08 to 5.19, not that OT's are going to be running many 40's on Sundays.

yesfan

Reaction score
I really think Colombo could be around awhile.Jerry
is a smart business man and recognizes value,he's also
rebuilt this guy and if he keeps producing like last season,
he'll get himself that big contract.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
yesfan;1486249 said:
I really think Colombo could be around awhile.Jerry
is a smart business man and recognizes value,he's also
rebuilt this guy and if he keeps producing like last season,
he'll get himself that big contract.

I think so too ..... if his knee holds up that is.