On to the Draft

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
TDHND;1298714 said:
I'm sure this has probably already been mentioned,but I haven't been on here in awhile. I was wondering what the early thoughts on what positions we'll go after in the draft. I've only seen like one mock draft,so I don't know what the predictions are. I know that there's still a lot of time for players to declare for the draft and such,but was just curious.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77510&page=4

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
We don't need a lot of players. We desperately need significant upgrades at 4 positions: RG, DE (Spears), OLB, ILB. If we fill these, the rest of the wants would be cake iceing.

With a very good RG, the rest of our OL would improve and our line would be immediately better. Get a DE that can stuff the run AND pressure the QB significantly better than Spears and our pass rush and run D get better, which instantly makes the secondary better. Get someone to replace James who can stop the run and keep up with TEs and such and we get tough in the middle of the field. Get an OLB who can rush the passer for obvious reasons. Secondary benefits greatly on every change without any actual personnel changes to the secondary. And that's it.

We're that close. Carpenter could be the ILB. Hatcher could theoretically become Spears' replacement. So in free agency focus on OLB and RG. Then when the draft comes, there will be flexibility.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;1298763 said:
We don't need a lot of players. We desperately need significant upgrades at 4 positions: RG, DE (Spears), OLB, ILB. If we fill these, the rest of the wants would be cake iceing.

With a very good RG, the rest of our OL would improve and our line would be immediately better. Get a DE that can stuff the run AND pressure the QB significantly better than Spears and our pass rush and run D get better, which instantly makes the secondary better. Get someone to replace James who can stop the run and keep up with TEs and such and we get tough in the middle of the field. Get an OLB who can rush the passer for obvious reasons. Secondary benefits greatly on every change without any actual personnel changes to the secondary. And that's it.

We're that close. Carpenter could be the ILB. Hatcher could theoretically become Spears' replacement. So in free agency focus on OLB and RG. Then when the draft comes, there will be flexibility.
I wonder what would happen if we moved Ferguson to an end spot in the 3-4, and drafted a monster NT if their are any out there? Probably a bad idea, but I'm tired of seeing the Patriots DEs consistantly in the backfield of the opposing teams.

Reaction score
LatinMind;1297379 said:
neither because all will be gone.

i think dallas has to settle for players like

jeff samardzija
sidney rice
reggie nelson
kyle young
levi brown
adam carriker
quinton mozes

That guy is an amazing talent, I wouldn't exactly call that "settling" for anything...