Once again Jerry achieved his goal

shabazz

Reaction score
I would like to know what the posters that are 81 want in their current life. That might give us an idea of what Jerry wants.
The prospective of an 81 year old billionaire and an 81 year old non-billionare will be markedly different....as they should be.

shabazz

Reaction score
So the Stones have not had a #1 hit in how many decades and yet they remain one of the largest touring bands around. Are these not the same thing?
Pretty good point. Old Stones fans remember when they were great and old cowboys fans remember when the Cowboys were great.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to wonder what crosses Jerry's mind when he sees the Rangers coming off a championship and the Mavericks and Stars are both in the Western Conference finals, while his piddling team hasn't seen the likes in nearly 30 years!
I have not wondered for many years. And what I believe he thinks is the same whenever it is any team, in any sport, around the world, enjoying the same success at those in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

I believe his thoughts are, "Look at <fill in the blank team>. They are winning. They are winning because <fill in the blank GM> is giving them what they need to win. They are executing. I am doing the same thing as they are but I haven't seen a Super Bowl in a long time. Why do coaches, players, front office people, everyone keep failing me every single year?"

^ Thoughts of a Mad Genius, also known as a narcissist.

rags747

Reaction score
Music and professional football….completely different skill sets. I’m pretty sure Mick Jagger can’t tackle and Micah Parsons can’t sing professionally.

Are you saying since Cowboys haven’t even been close to a SB in nearly 30 years we‘re supposed to just remember “the oldies but goodies”?
Just my thoughts as far as the OP’s premise which seems to me to be spot on.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I would like to know what the posters that are 81 want in their current life. That might give us an idea of what Jerry wants.
I bet you Jerry wishes he could get his old party bus fired up again. Who knows how many illegitimated kiddos he has out there.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I’m not 81, but when I am I can promise I will want the same thing out of my favorite team then that I do now - a commitment to do everything possible to win a championship. For me that will never change.

I don’t see that kind of commitment from our 81 year old owner/GM and face of the franchise. If winning a championship was the absolute goal of this owner, he would do what the winning owners of the last 28 SB winners did- hire a GM.
Well, he just started up a top notch analytics team which isn’t cheap. Jerry wants to win a SB more than any of us. He’s the one to benefit the most financially but I don’t think that’s his motivation. He wants another SB but unfortunately doesn’t know how to go about it the correct way.

starman22

Reaction score
You have to wonder what crosses Jerry's mind when he sees the Rangers coming off a championship and the Mavericks and Stars are both in the Western Conference finals, while his piddling team hasn't seen the likes in nearly 30 years!
I tell what crosses his mind... $$$$$$. His team is worth more than all of those other teams combined.

starman22

Reaction score
Well, he just started up a top notch analytics team which isn’t cheap. Jerry wants to win a SB more than any of us. He’s the one to benefit the most financially but I don’t think that’s his motivation. He wants another SB but unfortunately doesn’t know how to go about it the correct way.
If the "Top notch" analytics team doesn't point the finger of failure right at Jerry & Son, then they probably are just there for a paycheck.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
The prospective of an 81 year old billionaire and an 81 year old non-billionare will be markedly different....as they should be.
Not really, two things that most older people want is what money can't buy - health and time...

And in Jethro's case you can add a SB and to be know as a "football guy" in the vein of a Jimmy or Bill.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cowboys cap will be at max on opening day. The salary cap is a cap you can’t go over. Google “NFL salary cap.”
You're right, but that is a choice the Cowboys are choosing to make.

Their current cap hits over the next five years are:

2024 - $287m
2025 - $211m
2026 - $116m
2027 - $62m
2028 - $41m

They have plenty of available space to move cap hits into future years. The good news here is that if they do eat the majority of these hits this year it sets them up to be actual players in free agency next season if they elect to go that route. The bad news is I think they are taking a pretty good team in 2024 and failing to give them the resources to elevate themselves to legitimate super bowl contenders.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So the Stones have not had a #1 hit in how many decades and yet they remain one of the largest touring bands around. Are these not the same thing?
? I listen to classic music, none of which have been in the charts for decades. so what does that have to do with winning championships?

no, they are not the same thing. you listen to music to enjoy. a lot of people listen to music that's never in the charts.

you play sports to win and win championships.

so again, no they are not the same.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You're right, but that is a choice the Cowboys are choosing to make.

Their current cap hits over the next five years are:

2024 - $287m
2025 - $211m
2026 - $116m
2027 - $62m
2028 - $41m

They have plenty of available space to move cap hits into future years. The good news here is that if they do eat the majority of these hits this year it sets them up to be actual players in free agency next season if they elect to go that route. The bad news is I think they are taking a pretty good team in 2024 and failing to give them the resources to elevate themselves to legitimate super bowl contenders.
My point was that Jerry isn’t cheap when it comes to salaries like many are saying. He’s spending all he can spend. You can certainly argue the effectiveness of how they manage the cap but they max it out or get close every year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys cap will be at max on opening day. The salary cap is a cap you can’t go over. Google “NFL salary cap.”
wrong. cap is cap and money counts against it that you don't pay. it spreads over several seasons. its about cash output and cowboys have been one of the lowest.

and there is also a salary floor, where losing teams operate often.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My point was that Jerry isn’t cheap when it comes to salaries like many are saying. He’s spending all he can spend. You can certainly argue the effectiveness of how they manage the cap but they max it out or get close every year.
no he is not. you confuse the difference between cash out put and cap. not the samething my friend.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That's not true though. The Cowboys haven't been a major spender in years. They max out or come close to maxing out the cap each year because of mismanagement.....or perfect management but trying to sell to fans that they do spend money, I'm not really sure which theory is really accurate.

Here is the last three years on where the Cowboys rank in league cash spending.

2024 - 31st (This one could still change)
2023 - 11th
2022 - 29th

I don't have the numbers beyond 2022, but it is possible the Cowboys are higher on the list in 2021 as the paid Dak $75M up front with his last deal.

Now to be fair it's very possible that the Cowboys top this list in 2025 with new deals to Dak and/or Lamb as these would both be monster deals with a lot of up front bonus money. Overall though we are seeing that Jerry is not maxing out the cash he could spend, and over a 5 year stretch is probably pretty average compared to most of the league.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space has them with $3.8 million left, 5th least in the NFL.
again, cap space and cash spend are different. you have to know the difference.

https://overthecap.com/cash-spending

in cash spent, cowboys are 30th in the league. cash spent in 224 and 24th in the league in 2023, cash spent can be spread over several years in cap space.

you have to understand the difference. for example part of the cap is dead money. money you already paid but counting towards your cap. doesn't mean you actually spent the money.
part of it is bonuses paid, which spread over the remaining life of a contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
no he doesn't. he says he does. his actions says otherwise as often his business decisions supersede his football decisions.

of course he wants another superbowl. he is a sports franchise owner. but priorities are not football first. that's undeniable.