Twitter: One AFC defensive coach, Cowboys need to give Zeke some of Dak money

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No. You're misunderstanding me. I'm not grading him on a curve. I'm saying Pollard didn't struggle because he did what he was suppose to do.

You guys can't sit here and argue that he's a #2 back and not capable of being a #1 and then argue he struggled last year....

The job of the change of pace back is to come in and relieve the starter and use his fresh legs to take advantage of the defense after the starter has softened them up . He should consistently have a higher ypc average than the starter and he should hit more "home runs" on a per touch basis. While Pollard was okay on relative home runs he failed miserably at putting up higher ypc on a consistent basis in fact he was lower in more games than he was higher. And his pass protection was so unreliable the coaching staff made a badly hobbled Elliott limp onto the field to protect the QBs rather than risk them to Pollard's blitz pickup capabilities. His ypc dropped A FULL YARD from his rookie season. So yeah.. he struggled. I'm not one of those "he sucks" people. Pollard is a quality #2 back.. however he was hardly immune to what was going on with our offense last year once Dak was lost. Here's hoping last year is a distant memory in a few months. For both backs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The job of the change of pace back is to come in and relieve the starter and use his fresh legs to take advantage of the defense after the starter has softened them up . He should consistently have a higher ypc average than the starter and he should hit more "home runs" on a per touch basis. While Pollard was okay on relative home runs he failed miserably at putting up higher ypc on a consistent basis in fact he was lower in more games than he was higher. And his pass protection was so unreliable the coaching staff made a badly hobbled Elliott limp onto the field to protect the QBs rather than risk them to Pollard's blitz pickup capabilities. His ypc dropped A FULL YARD from his rookie season. So yeah.. he struggled. I'm not one of those "he sucks" people. Pollard is a quality #2 back.. however he was hardly immune to what was going on with our offense last year once Dak was lost. Here's hoping last year is a distant memory in a few months. For both backs.
I think your definition of a "Change of pace back" is to justify how Zeke has been playing these last few years. We know that in this offense and on this team Zeke is a #1 back. They aren't a running back tandem by any means.

And you say the change of pace back is suppose to hav ea higher npc average than the starter? Who does that? What running back are you referring to?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
2020? When we were down at halftime every game? That was when we were punishing teams for paying too much attention to Zeke?

It's called a prevent defense, bubba. Teams do that when they are routing their opponent.
Many variables and extenuating circumstances, but I recalled dallas only leading for like 5 minutes in those first games. Dak was 3-5 for 53 yards and 1td when leading. When tied, he 17-29 for 164yds and a 74.5 rating.

3 rushing TDs came while trailing as well.

What a forgettable year

plasticman

Reaction score
"One AFC defensive coach" is another name for "An expert in the field", "unnamed sources", "...on the condition of anonymity", "spokesman" and "someone within the organization".

Translation:

"In my own opinion as the person tweeting this....."

Thomas82

Reaction score
Oh let the fun and games ensue I see!

Well you guys can have your jokes...some are actually okay....:cool:

Zeke makes plenty of money, he don;t need Dak's. But Anon is right. Dak owes Zeke for the 2016 season that put Dak down this path. Also owes for every HUGE block Zeke makes on Lber's AND O-linemen too. Everyone says ...hold on a second..."Everyone" says "zeke sucked in 2020". Let's say that's true...look what happened to Dak. Coincidence? hmmmmaybe. maybe not.

I know this is gonna throw stats ****** in a tizzy...but Dak shines when zeke does well. The TEAM does well! Zeke doesn't seem to shine so much when Dak does well. I know...some ya'll gonna give me the "450+ yards when Zeke is out" thingamajig. But do we win those? (I dunno...Imma make some of you look that up...come at me!)

We've got to find a way to keep Zeke in the game and pounding the rock. 2016 is proof. And he ain't toast just yet. You can throw all the stats you want at me...like bricks. The team is better with Beast Zeke and that means a healthy Dak and O-line too.

I agree with everything you said. I also want to add that the Cowboys have made the playoffs both times Zeke has led the league in rushing.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2020? When we were down at halftime every game? That was when we were punishing teams for paying too much attention to Zeke?

It's called a prevent defense, bubba. Teams do that when they are routing their opponent.
Unless it's "Prevent" defense and we're down by -20 Mr.Prescott cannot move the ball!
His whole career has been one major leech job with his favorite victim being Zeke.

Dre11

Reaction score
It implies that Pollard was closer to the player he is than Zeke is. I consider Zeke a top 5 back in the league..or I did anyway. So yes 4 yards a carry is pedestrian for a player I feel is one of the best backs in the league. 4.3 yards per carry is around what I’d expect.

Which you're still wrong, in 2019 Pollard average 5.3 yards a carry and dropped to 4.3 yards a carry in 2020, while Zeke was 4.5 in 2019 and dropped to 4.0 in 2020, which indicates both struggled , and Pollard struggling the most. You're not making sense

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I threw out Pollard's games with very few carries for what I thought would be obvious reasons but if you insist..

game 1 - 2 for 10 yards
game 2 - 2 for 6 yards .......3 ypc
game 3 - 0 for 0 yards but a nice kick return to the half yard line that resulted in a safety on the next play
game 4 - 3 for 16
game 5 - 6 for 30
game 6 - 10 for 31 ...........3.1 ypc
game 7 - 8 for 16 ............ 2 ypc
game 8 - 7 for 40
game 9 - 5 for 60
game 10 - 9 for 57
game 11 - 4 for 12 3 ypc
game 12 - 8 for 22 < 3 ypc
game 13 - 11 for 39 < 4 ypc
game 14 - 12 for 67
game 15 - 9 for 12 ....1.3 ypc
game 16 - 5 for 15 .... 3 ypc

By my count that's 8 games below 4 ypc and 6 games for 3 ypc or less. How is this not "struggling" at least as much as Zeke? I could go look it up but I don't really have to. I already know that Zeke had fewer games of this level of non-production last year.

You might as well be debating a fence post. He won't let facts get in the way of what he thinks.

Hadenough

Reaction score
So your opinion is Zeke does better with good QB play, and you think Dalton plays QB better than Dak?
Any RB does better with better QB play because the defenses cant turn all their focus on just stopping the run. Yards dont always dictate how effective a RB is. Dalton didnt have much of a sample size with this offense to say he is or isnt better than Dak. I would say Dalton throws the ball better than Dak but he doesnt know the offense as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
yet 4.3 is something to brag about id say he did struggle add on twice the carries and im betting the dude falls apart average wise..its pretty well known fact the best player should up and can stay the course average wise but those pet cat backups that look good with 1/3 the reps typically fall apart the more you gibe them, thats what separate's bell cow starters from change of pace backups..

regardless i hope every DC Player on the team sets records regardless of pay or status..i want a SB

lets move on

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke’s the Cowboys player I despise the most since I became a fan 47 years ago. They should’ve told him to rot in Cabo.
I get it...I do. Zeke was a good kid at Ohio State. But...I always felt he had some condition. ADD?

And even as a fan....I would have let him sit. That's not the easy decision some fans think....that's a prize resource there. And ya just "let him rot" because you don;t LIKE him?

Hmmm....kay.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Which you're still wrong, in 2019 Pollard average 5.3 yards a carry and dropped to 4.3 yards a carry in 2020, while Zeke was 4.5 in 2019 and dropped to 4.0 in 2020, which indicates both struggled , and Pollard struggling the most. You're not making sense

I don’t expect Pollard to continue to average 5.3 yards a carry…did you?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but mostly it would validate the comment.
That's fine....I understand.

But....we should be able to decide for ourselves. I doubt it matters to many people who says what. People have their minds made up (and experts abut it too!) about most everything these days regardless of what anyone says even if they are "experts".

I doubt anyone changes their mind about zeke or dak or jaylon or you name it. It's...POSSIBLE....a Super Bowl ...*might*. :D