Twitter: One AFC defensive coach, Cowboys need to give Zeke some of Dak money

Haimerej

Reaction score
A 112.9 passer rating... 502 yards and 4 Tds while completing almost 71% of his passes... There really isn't any other way to describe that than "a good game."

Watch it again. That is the game that created the meme about prevent defenses. The Browns clearly became less aggressive after the huge lead. They were playing tighter coverage and jumping routes early in the game. They backed off near the end of their 34 consecutive point run.

Sure, that's on the defense. But that's also multiple opportunities for the offense to stop the bleeding. They couldn't as the lead grew to, "hey, if they pull off a comeback it's history."

You mentioned the RB YPC stat about backups, which was spot on. Surely you're also familiar with the empty yards in a losing cause phenomenon.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to continue to repeat fallacy after fallacy about our players.

"He is still terrible in the red zone.."

Really? In his career Dak has a passer rating of 91.4 in the red zone and has thrown 59 touchdowns against 7 interceptions.. I don't think any further analysis is needed here.

"His biggest stats have come against poor teams or once the Cowboys have fallen way behind.."

His two best games in 2020 came against Cleveland and Seattle.. both of which made the playoffs. He feasted on some bad teams in 2019 but he also hung a 120+ passer rating on the Rams defense and a 100+ rating on both the Vikings and the Eagles defenses.. all three of those were quality defenses and pretty much are year in and year out. Well Minny fell off in 2020 but Dak did not have the good fortune of facing them.

"This team needs to play keep away offense..."

Now this I agree with.. but not because of Dak.. but because our defense has been average to below average for the better part of a decade.
Here is how he compares to other QBs
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/redzone-passing.htm

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Watch it again. That is the game that created the meme about prevent defenses. The Browns clearly became less aggressive after the huge lead. They were playing tighter coverage and jumping routes early in the game. They backed off near the end of their 34 consecutive point run.

Sure, that's on the defense. But that's also multiple opportunities for the offense to stop the bleeding. They couldn't as the lead grew to, "hey, if they pull off a comeback it's history."

You mentioned the RB YPC stat about backups, which was spot on. Surely you're also familiar with the empty yards in a losing cause phenomenon.
Stuff like that keeps me concerned, to say the least.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s with the kindergarten name calling?
It's not name calling...just the facts. It's why you wont; show me "hating".

Either way...lying about other people is just as bad as name calling. I mean..,since you are SUCH a (self-proclaimed) stand up "positive" guy and all.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Is that some kind of example "hating" dak?

LOL....you are indeed a funny cupcake! Err.... I mean rockport that was a typo.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe if failed QB suck up OC could actually designed plays for a potent 1-2 RB tandem....."ewok" AS YOU TROLL haters CALL HIM....wouldn't need to take himself out as he gets PUMMLED by blocking for the failed o line.

But Dak.

Well tough guy...show me what you mean. Otherwise.....shut it cupcake.

For people that actually care...this was me hating on Kellen Moore. I admit that...never hid or lied about it. This guy is desperately attempting to make it look like me hating Dak. I don;t. Never have....so he lies about what I said.

Dak...is NOT a "failed QB suck up offensive coordinator". That is Moore.

And the "but dak" is aimed directly at people like the author of the post I quoted....you see what he did. Tried to make it look like Dak hate. He proved my point better than I ever imagined.

Good job rocky you did not fail to do my bidding!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's not name calling...just the facts. It's why you wont; show me "hating".

Either way...lying about other people is just as bad as name calling. I mean..,since you are SUCH a (self-proclaimed) stand up "positive" guy and all.
Irony of this is just the other day you were caught lying and name calling…damn…you have no shame…..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
For people that actually care...this was me hating on Kellen Moore. I admit that...never hid or lied about it. This guy is desperately attempting to make it look like me hating Dak. I don;t. Never have....so he lies about what I said.

And the "but dak" is aimed directly at people like the author of the post I quoted....you see what he did. Tried to make it look like Dak hate. He proved my point better than I ever imagined.

So what’s your opinion of Dak then?

RonnieT24

Reaction score

But which of Dak's yards in that game were of the "empty" variety. He had like 150 yards and two TDs in the first quarter when the Cowboys were ahead.. And he threw for like 200 yards in the 4th quarter while cutting the lead to one score. At what point did Cleveland STOP playing soft? I have watched the game several times and I can point to plays throughout the game where they sent extra pass rushers after Dak. I guarantee you any thoughts about "playing soft" quickly evaporated after the Cowboys put 24 points on the board in less than 10 minutes. And all of those yards could have been "meaningful" if the defense could just tackle a guy on a friggin reverse. But asking them to make more than a couple of stops in a row was clearly asking too much.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Why won’t you tell us your thoughts on Dak? I’ve asked twice and you’re not man enough to answer. Hmmm….

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Good post. I was not a fan of paying Zeke early, but it was a calculated decision by the Cowboys that will be judged over the life of his contract. The “stock price” on his contract may increase or decrease over time.

Zeke’s contract, relatively speaking, is not anywhere near the worst contract on this team. I see far too much venom over his contract. He only makes 2/3 of what Tank makes and Tank has consistently underperformed.

I don’t think Zeke played up to his contract last year, but it’s hard to judge him with his line and his QB out. They also played from behind a lot so that didn’t help either.

If Zeke continues his decline this season, then I am on board with saying he was not worth the contract. If he rebounds this year and leads the league in yards and gets the dirty yards when they count, then he will probably have been worth every penny we paid, plus some.

This is not like Dez and Witten who underperformed for several years. Zeke had a sub-par year last year. But I tend to think that’s an outlier, and not the norm….yet.

I don’t think Zeke came into camp fit and ready to go last year and that’s on Zeke. But by all accounts he has dialed it back up and will get a fast start this year. Fingers crossed, my friend.
Fantastic post, I agree with every word.

I still believe Zeke is the most complete back in the league, although he surely didn't prove it last year. He may be the best blitz pick-up back I've ever seen. And he also fights hard for every yard. People can get on him for the helmet tapping and I understand it. But I also think he gives 100% on every down.

Again, last year certainly does not support my opinion and he looked distracted to me. I'm hoping he proves me right this year. If you had a team full of players that gave the effort he does, you would have a darn good team. But only my amateur opinion.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why won’t you tell us your thoughts on Dak? I’ve asked twice and you’re not man enough to answer. Hmmm….
I have already made my opinion very clear many many times. Not sure why you are so confused about it. You've asked me nothing...just spewing lies that I hate Dak. Never said or impl;ied any such thing. In fact I have been harder on zeke than Dak.

So you couldn't find any comments to prove your accusation. Okay.

So here...you are actually asking me...so....

I like Dak. I think he is plenty good enough for us to win. Like any good team...the rest of the team also has to do their part...and we've been in short supply of that. Right up through the coaching.

It's my inexpert opinion that he could:

1) BE a bit more accurate on crossing routes....in an open field lead the receiver more.
2) Work on audibles a bit more.
caveat: I do not know the play called in the huddle, or how many changed plays there are.
BUT...I watch other QB's "audible" opt out..what have you and there's a certain body language and call-outs they use
I don;t see Dak doing that kind of thing as much.
I think this would help the offense be more explosive and "unpredictable".
3) Would like to see more "crunch time" heroics.

Having said that...I pray he recovers from the horrible injury, that he has a solid starting healthy o-line. Zeke goes beats mode. And the defense becomes more stout and helps keep us in the game early on.

If we do that....we are good.

Hadenough

Reaction score
16 TD to ZERO INTs in your sample year.. You're right.. that ratio stinks. Maybe you should choose a year when he was actually bad in the red zone to make your point?
Dak is 13th on that list and thats about right for where he should be. Look how good Winston is. You see one stat doesnt tell the whole picture!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I have already made my opinion very clear many many times. Not sure why you are so confused about it. You've asked me nothing...just spewing lies that I hate Dak. Never said or impl;ied any such thing. In fact I have been harder on zeke than Dak.

So you couldn't find any comments to prove your accusation. Okay.

So here...you are actually asking me...so....

I like Dak. I think he is plenty good enough for us to win. Like any good team...the rest of the team also has to do their part...and we've been in short supply of that. Right up through the coaching.

It's my inexpert opinion that he could:

1) BE a bit more accurate on crossing routes....in an open field lead the receiver more.
2) Work on audibles a bit more.
caveat: I do not know the play called in the huddle, or how many changed plays there are.
BUT...I watch other QB's "audible" opt out..what have you and there's a certain body language and call-outs they use
I don;t see Dak doing that kind of thing as much.
I think this would help the offense be more explosive and "unpredictable".
3) Would like to see more "crunch time" heroics.

Having said that...I pray he recovers from the horrible injury, that he has a solid starting healthy o-line. Zeke goes beats mode. And the defense becomes more stout and helps keep us in the game early on.

If we do that....we are good.
You seem to be very angry but I appreciate you finally answering the question. Accuracy is one thing that Dak has improved on immensely over the years to the point where Aikman took back his statement about "you can't teach accuracy" and said the Cowboys must sign this guy. Not sure where you got the "he needs to audible more". The haters were crapping on Romo for audibling too much. If you watch closely you'll see that Dak does indeed audible when needed. I mean he's been near the top of the league in passing for the past few years so his passing is obviously not the problem. The problem is the defense and special teams. It's hard to have "crunch time" heroics when your down the whole game. Again, if you've been watching you would have seen Dak do all he possible could to come back from near impossible odds to win and has done so a few times regardless.

starfan1

Reaction score
You seem to be very angry but I appreciate you finally answering the question. Accuracy is one thing that Dak has improved on immensely over the years to the point where Aikman took back his statement about "you can't teach accuracy" and said the Cowboys must sign this guy. Not sure where you got the "he needs to audible more". The haters were crapping on Romo for audibling too much. If you watch closely you'll see that Dak does indeed audible when needed. I mean he's been near the top of the league in passing for the past few years so his passing is obviously not the problem. The problem is the defense and special teams. It's hard to have "crunch time" heroics when your down the whole game. Again, if you've been watching you would have seen Dak do all he possible could to come back from near impossible odds to win and has done so a few times regardless.

in some cases not all
zeke love = Dak denier
Romo Love = Dak Denier

How to determine a dak denier? Follow the threads and where most of their conversation takes place. Not saying that is whats happening in your present conversation but its not an uncommon theme. Cowboylover does not hate dak he just gets ticked because he thinks Zeke gets unfair critism and when dak does he thinks too many people come to his rescue. (probably because dak is a more likeable guy) Because hes a huge OSU fan and absolute Zeke Homer it bothers him and feels the need to come to zekes rescue and alot of that tends to be in the dak critic side. He probably has recorded the OSU 2014 run and watches it over and over.

anytime you side with pappy or captain crunch in a dak argument then its easy to be lumped as a hater they are the extreme. Just as you and Roy and AC are the extreme on the other side.

I choose to embrace my disdain for Zeke. its a better avenue that works for me. That said Dak is not without fault and i will be more critical of him this year than i have in the past but you are right in your assessment of the D and special teams as part of the problem.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
in some cases not all
zeke love = Dak denier
Romo Love = Dak Denier

How to determine a dak denier? Follow the threads and where most of their conversation takes place. Not saying that is whats happening in your present conversation but its not an uncommon theme. Cowboylover does not hate dak he just gets ticked because he thinks Zeke gets unfair critism and when dak does he thinks too many people come to his rescue. (probably because dak is a more likeable guy) Because hes a huge OSU fan and absolute Zeke Homer it bothers him and feels the need to come to zekes rescue and alot of that tends to be in the dak critic side. He probably has recorded the OSU 2014 run and watches it over and over.

anytime you side with pappy or captain crunch in a dak argument then its easy to be lumped as a hater they are the extreme. Just as you and Roy and AC are the extreme on the other side.

I choose to embrace my disdain for Zeke. its a better avenue that works for me. That said Dak is not without fault and i will be more critical of him this year than i have in the past but you are right in your assessment of the D and special teams as part of the problem.
Well that explains his dislike for Dak.