One and done, two and done, three and done

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t mind losing if the organization is trending upward and doing things to get better every year. Our incompetent GM doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing.
That isn't true. He long ago gave up actual controls. He is no where close to incompetant at the GM task in today's NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t get it - been a fan for over 50 years - lately it seems like some feel like making to the Championship game and if we lose that is somehow better than what has happened? Heck a loss is a loss in the one and done playoff system - to me as a fan it hurts and sucks whether we lose in wild card round, division round, Championship game or heck even in the Super Bowl . I don’t and wouldn’t feel a sense of relief losing later - it sucked when Jackie Smith dropped the sure td in the end zone against the Steelers
Broke my heart when Montana completed that pass to Dwight Clark
The list goes on - I’m not saying I wouldn’t love for the cowboys to get over the hump and go further but I for one would not be any less disappointed if we lost in any playoff game - the only way my disappointment would be less is if they win it all: I know many will say no way - we haven’t made the nfccg in almost 30 years - just making it there shows hope - sorry , I don’t agree - a loss is a loss and they all sting the same to me - in fact in my opinion getting closer and losing almost stings worse - no trophy for almosts - only for the champs

If your not first then your last
Just my opinion
I agree 100%. If we are not going to win it all I would rather lose earlier to get a higher draft pick.

Last edited:

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I don't get the whole satisfaction of reaching the championship game either and then losing. That is the definition of Participation Trophy that so many in here claim to hate. The result is the same, ELIMINATED

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Sure, it sucks, but, having never seen us in the NFCC since becoming a fan, at least we'd be there if we got there.
It always hurts to lose in the playoffs.
But for us to get to a NFCCG would show that we are making progress, that daks capable of winning playoff games against good opponents.
So there would be a lot of positive takeaways.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It always hurts to lose in the playoffs.
But for us to get to a NFCCG would show that we are making progress, that daks capable of winning playoff games against good opponents.
So there would be a lot of positive takeaways.
Progress means nothing in the NFL. Teams go up and down every year. There is no guarantee of continued progress.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Don't understand attacking the OP. I understand his point completely.

Imagine getting to the NFC Championship and losing. That would hurt worse than a first round exit. I think that's the point he's trying to make. And you know for a fact the same people would be on here saying the same things about Dak and McCarthy.

"Yeah they got farther this year but still choked away the biggest game. What good are a couple playoff wins without a ring? Will never win a Super Bowl with this lame coach and one read stiff at QB".

I agree it would have been more fun making a deeper run. But the closer you get to the SB the more the losses sting because of all the work it took to get that far.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Making it to a championship game would be a lot better than what’s been happening the past 28 years. It sure would a big step in the right direction. Anyone under 30 years old has never even seen the Cowboys play in a championship game or win a divisional round game. By no means would I be satisfied with that but things would certainly be looking up if we could make it that far.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I suppose many fans forget what that feels like to lose later in the playoffs. It does sting at any point, but I liken it to a team that has had a long playoff drought and fans just hope to get into the playoffs.
I mean, I literally have no idea what it’s like to lose later in the playoffs. The deepest I’ve seen in my lifetime is a divisional playoff game.

I’m sure it would suck, but I would be thrilled just to see them get to a conference title game even if they lost.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Don't understand attacking the OP. I understand his point completely.

Imagine getting to the NFC Championship and losing. That would hurt worse than a first round exit. I think that's the point he's trying to make. And you know for a fact the same people would be on here saying the same things about Dak and McCarthy.

"Yeah they got farther this year but still choked away the biggest game. What good are a couple playoff wins without a ring? Will never win a Super Bowl with this lame coach and one read stiff at QB".

I agree it would have been more fun making a deeper run. But the closer you get to the SB the more the losses sting because of all the work it took to get that far.
Thank you - exactly
I get those who are cowboys fans and never seen them in the nfccg or better - I also understand im much older - seen every super bowl win and loss- to me it hurts whenever they lose in the playoffs - I always want to make the playoffs - I don’t want to relive 5-11, 3-13 or even the horrible 1-15 season
I remember the almost there 80’s too- they were brutal
QBs rotating
White
Hogeboom
Pelluer
Uggh
I remember crying my eyes out and screaming when Jackie dropped the td against puttsburgh
I remember Dwight Clark ripping my heart out
I remember pass interference by Deion vs Irvin in the nfccg back in the 90’s as well as Turkey neck
Hanks strutting after picking of aikman
That f ing all sucked
I also remember crushing the broncos
Recall the first win blanking the dolphins 24-3
Back to back in the 90’s
Then one more with Larry browns gifts from
Neil
But there isn’t anything like a win to me
Losing just sucks in the playoffs
No matter where it happens
I don’t feel any consolation or satisfaction if we progressed one more game in the playoffs - maybe it’s just me - as I get older I don’t say well we will get them next year
Maybe it’s being closer to the end than the beginning
Maybe it’s perspective that it’s a game not my life anymore
Im not any less a fan, just it’s compartmentalized differently - no satisfaction to me in almost when it comes to the Dallas cowboys
But hey that’s just me - others don’t have to agree but again some I can understand as they might’ve never experienced what true winning feels like

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I get what original poster is saying though. We’ve been so bad that if we made and nfc title game next year and lost people would be happy. When in reality that shoulda been the goal the past two-three years.

We’ve set the expectations so low… a once proud franchise where the goal was to win super bowls. Now we’ll be satisfied with an nfc title game? That shouldn’t be the case

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The difference is back then we expected to win. I don't think these Cowboys are as good as The Ravens, Chiefs or 49ers so I'm not expecting to win a SB with these guys. Be nice to play them though.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't get the whole satisfaction of reaching the championship game either and then losing. That is the definition of Participation Trophy that so many in here claim to hate. The result is the same, ELIMINATED
It's to get the monkey off the backs of the franchise. The aura of chokers because they can't get over that hump to historic levels of underachievement hangs like a dark cloud over the Cowboys. It is in the heads of every player who plays here like a mind virus. Break that, and the team has all the momentum to build towards a SB.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I get what original poster is saying though. We’ve been so bad that if we made and nfc title game next year and lost people would be happy. When in reality that shoulda been the goal the past two-three years.

We’ve set the expectations so low… a once proud franchise where the goal was to win super bowls. Now we’ll be satisfied with an nfc title game? That shouldn’t be the case
Can't be accused of being entitled fans if your bar is low.

starfan1

Reaction score

I think throughout the year I heard alot of participation trophy comments by members in here when i said enjoy the ride. Now some are reniging on tht?