One glaring reason this team is behind Detroit (Do Not Post About Dak)

Carter

Reaction score
all the remaining teams are balanced. They have weaknesses on the back end all of them. They are all vulnerable in the secondary. But they all run the ball well and they all have physicality in the trenches.Thats the best way to fix Dallas. I think that means DQ leaving and a change in defensive approaches. We gotta revamp the oline too. Imagine if we drafted Bijan Robinson a bit early instead of Mazi. What could have been. The entire dynamic of how u defend us changes.

Bijan Robinson looks like a complete bust right now

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
My dear Detroit Lions? I am a die hard Cowboy fan.

Its amazing how offended some Cowboys fans get when something gets questioned. You really dont see the point of this thread, I am done trying to explain it to you.

Stop taking risks in the second. Not a hard concept.
You're sitting here acting like they're a great drafting team, when they're absolutely not.

I see what the point is - it is a bad one. If you can go through the same exercise with every team in the league, the point is irrelevant.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
And never taking Free Agency seriously
Good point. We could get stronger quickly with some good FA moves this Spring, but we won't. We will sign a few scrubs and then rely on the draft.

Carter

Reaction score
Good point. We could get stronger quickly with some good FA moves this Spring, but we won't. We will sign a few scrubs and then rely on the draft.

We tend to get more aggressive in Trades (Gilmore, Cooks), but you have to get some Free Agents that arent just Backup-Backups. Eagles have made the SB twice recently because they werent afraid to go all in in FA, other teams too.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's their mentality. Dan came in and said he wants fighters win or lose you'll fight till the end (biting off kneecaps). Jerry collects highly skilled players but their focus is not on winning it's on whining. Glitz and glamour here....where they covet toughness and ferociousness.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Nope

Dallas also doesn't run to numbers advantages, regardless of the defensive alignment.
So I do agree they don't use shifts/motions to create leverage in the run game like basically every team does in the playoffs.

They run that stupid @44 shotgun draw and think that's fooling someone...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This goes back to the 2016 draft. I dont want to go in depth here but Jerry using the second round as his "risk taking round" has really hurt this team.

Lets look at who was available when the Cowboys took a risk on Jaylon Smith.

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

That is just 2016. Instead of building the trenches they took a risk on a red shirt LB who may never be the same again. One example

Available after Trysten Hill
Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Kelvin Joseph-More red flags than an amusement park was the pick.

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

Luke Schoonmaker a TE who we didnt need and who will be almost 30 by the time he needs a new contract was the pick

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

This is 3 drafts where the Jones' used a second round pick on backup players. Where a pick for a legitmate starter was needed.

Yes they have hit on some second rounders but if you look at the way Detroit drafts. They stick to their board. They dont take chances until later rounds. When you are supposed to. Rounds 1 and 2 are for legitmate plug and play players. Not projects.

This is one of many reasons that this team keeps getting lapped by other teams. Jerry needs to turn over all football operations so this doesnt happen again. Because it will. He cant help himself.
Fail big time. There’s nothing wrong with the way the Cowboys have been drafting. They are one of the best in the league and have been for several years.

Gambit

Reaction score
That isnt what I meant by on purpose. When you draft a guy with issues whether they are mental, legal, or coaching related. You are taking a MASSIVE risk. Especially in a round where you want a starter. Thats what I mean by missing on purpose. If they took a guy with talent and no issues then they missed and it happens, when you put yourself in the position where you are most likely going to regret the pick, thats on purpose.
Vastly different from what you said. Vastly.

Let me ask you 2 questions.

1. Would you have drafted Moss?

2. In the history of just the Dallas Cowboys have they ever hit on a guy with red flags?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
In fairness, you could do this to a ton of teams. Not saying we didn't make mistakes but a lot of teams do dumb things like this. Philly made a SB last year and they stupidly took Reagor over Jefferson.
The difference is those teams have GM who are accountable, and fired, when it happens too often. This FO, just shrugs their shoulders and hope better luck next year. Thus make the same mistakes every year.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That isnt the point I am trying to make.

The point isnt that they missed on picks. Its that they PURPOSELY missed on picks to satisfy Jerry being a football guy.
Oh, sure. That's the ticket. The front office is PURPOSELY missing on picks.
Do you actually believe that? Seriously?

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Problem with our drafting process is that McClay and the scouts are the ones who put the board together, but they're not really in charge of the draft until the back end of day 2 and then day 3. Once Jerry and Stephen are done making their fantasy football picks with names that they recognize early, then McClay and his scouts are able to take over the draft. The Joneses also give their coaches way too much juice in the process, which nets you players like Trysten Hill, Taco Charlton, and Nahshon Wright.

The Joneses have a pattern of overcorrecting when they miss on a player at a spot they wanted to grab him too. They missed on Surtain/Horn, then went and immediately reached for Kelvin Joseph. Then they missed on Kincaid, and went and reached harder for Schoonmaker. It's such a bad way to run a draft.

foofighters

Reaction score
This goes back to the 2016 draft. I dont want to go in depth here but Jerry using the second round as his "risk taking round" has really hurt this team.

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

That is just 2016. Instead of building the trenches they took a risk on a red shirt LB who may never be the same again. One example

Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

Luke Schoonmaker a TE who we didnt need and who will be almost 30 by the time he needs a new contract was the pick

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

This is 3 drafts where the Jones' used a second round pick on backup players. Where a pick for a legitmate starter was needed.

Yes they have hit on some second rounders but if you look at the way Detroit drafts. They stick to their board. They dont take chances until later rounds. When you are supposed to. Rounds 1 and 2 are for legitmate plug and play players. Not projects.

This is one of many reasons that this team keeps getting lapped by other teams. Jerry needs to turn over all football operations so this doesnt happen again. Because it will. He cant help himself.
Sheila Ford Hamp > Jerry Jones

phildadon86

Reaction score
You're sitting here acting like they're a great drafting team, when they're absolutely not.

I see what the point is - it is a bad one. If you can go through the same exercise with every team in the league, the point is irrelevant.
You arent getting what I am saying. And thats fine. You cant go thru this excercise with every team in the league. Every other team in the league doesnt take long shots in the second round and hope.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

The Cowboys have made some wrong choices, but this isn't a fair way to look at it. You can look at the draft of every team and find players that would have been better to pick. For example, it's pretty obvious a lot of teams wish they had taken Chris Jones instead of letting him last into the 2md round.

But since you are talking about why the Lions, lets look at some of Detroit's drafts ...

2017: The Lions 1st round pick is now buried on the Giants bench, their 2nd round pick is buried on Seattle's bench, and their 3rd round pick is out of football. There were a lot of quality players they passed on. TJ Watt, Budda Baker, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Alvin Kamara, Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin ...

2018: The Lions 2nd round pick is out of football. They could have had Christian Kirk, Dallas Goedert or Fred Warner

2019: The Lions 2nd round pick only started 16 games for them, and they could have had AJ Brown, Juan Thornhill or DK Metcalf

2020: The Lions 1st round pick was only a full time starter in Detroit one season and is now with Atlanta. They could have had CeeDee Lamb or Justin Jefferson.

2021: The Lions 2nd round pick hasn't started a single game. They could have drafted instead the same guys you listed above that were available after Kelvin Joseph

2022: The Lions 1st round pick was a WR who only has 395 yards receiving in 2 seasons, and their 2nd round pick was a pass rusher who only has 3 sacks in 2 years. They could have had Kyle Hamilton, Trent McDuffie, Quay Walker, George Pickens, Trey McBride, James Cook ...

BOTTOM LINE: Every team would like to go back in time and redraft with the benefit of hindsight, not just the Cowboys

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You arent getting what I am saying. And thats fine. You cant go thru this excercise with every team in the league. Every other team in the league doesnt take long shots in the second round and hope.
Yes, I get what you are saying. I'm saying that it's a flawed point because teams miss on 2nd round picks all the time - especially if you're barometer of a hit is the players taken afterwards. There's nothing to suggest that taking less "risky" players yields any difference because we see that teams around the league all whiff too. It's not as if Dallas is a better team - or better drafting team - if they went "safe" with like Adderley instead of Hill in 2019.

There's no difference in missing out on a player because your eval/projection was wrong or because you took a risk on a high-upside player.

Carter

Reaction score
I must have missed that memo.

Dude didnt crack 1000 yards rushing, had only 4 TDs and cracked 100 yards only twice in 17 games.

Not that impressive for a guy that was talked about being the best thing since sliced bread and a generational RB Talent.

Not saying he wont be great, but so far hes not living up to his draft selection that early in the 1st.

Zeke had 1600 yards and 15 TDs his rookie year with one less game

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We drafted Bobby freaking Carpenter in the first round beause the coach was buddies with his dad. Absolute lunacy.
It was 18 years ago. lol. You're going way out of your way to find something to complain about. lol