One glaring reason this team is behind Detroit (Do Not Post About Dak)

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dude didnt crack 1000 yards rushing, had only 4 TDs and cracked 100 yards only twice in 17 games.

Not that impressive for a guy that was talked about being the best thing since sliced bread and a generational RB Talent.

Not saying he wont be great, but so far hes not living up to his draft selection that early in the 1st.

Zeke had 1600 yards and 15 TDs his rookie year with one less game
They used Zeke as the bellcow. Atlanta was using running back by committee. The dumb HC misused him. He used like 4 running backs. Got him fired. In the right system, hes a stud. Used properly. I think our oline is better than Atlanta.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We drafted Bobby freaking Carpenter in the first round because the coach was buddies with his dad. Absolute lunacy.
Parcells nailed many picks though.. Missed on a couple. Like drafting Julius Jones instead of Steven Jackson. But he did draft Witten, Ware, Canty,Barber and others.

Kwyn

Reaction score
This goes back to the 2016 draft. I dont want to go in depth here but Jerry using the second round as his "risk taking round" has really hurt this team.

Lets look at who was available when the Cowboys took a risk on Jaylon Smith.

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

That is just 2016. Instead of building the trenches they took a risk on a red shirt LB who may never be the same again. One example

Available after Trysten Hill
Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Kelvin Joseph-More red flags than an amusement park was the pick.

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

Luke Schoonmaker a TE who we didnt need and who will be almost 30 by the time he needs a new contract was the pick

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

This is 3 drafts where the Jones' used a second round pick on backup players. Where a pick for a legitmate starter was needed.

Yes they have hit on some second rounders but if you look at the way Detroit drafts. They stick to their board. They dont take chances until later rounds. When you are supposed to. Rounds 1 and 2 are for legitmate plug and play players. Not projects.

This is one of many reasons that this team keeps getting lapped by other teams. Jerry needs to turn over all football operations so this doesnt happen again. Because it will. He cant help himself.
Surely you know that the rest of the league “missed” on all of those players as well, right?

If you use this logic, you might as well list every team in the league for missing on Purdy.

These types of “could have been” scenarios are always there if you want to look for them.

Heck, Dak would likely have gone to the Rams number one overall lol

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It was 18 years ago. lol. You're going way out of your way to find something to complain about. lol
Maybe but nothing has changed. IMHO that draft pick can only happen in Dallas and nothing has changed since. It was an indefensible decision. The only way you can make it is if you do not have to defend yourself.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Parcells nailed many picks though.. Missed on a couple. Like drafting Julius Jones instead of Steven Jackson. But he did draft Witten, Ware, Canty,Barber and others.
Sure he had some good picks. The point is that Bobby Carpenter is a first round pick that was made for all the wrong reasons. These things happen over and over because there is no accountability. I believe that is the point of the OP. I can live with mistakes when the intentions are true. It is the mistakes where the intentions are obviously suspect that frustrates. Draft picks that are favors to a friend or publicity stunts or unnecessary gambles. Then we double down by giving them roster spots and playing time no matter what. The hidden agendas are all right there in the open plain to see. You just have to want to look.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This goes back to the 2016 draft. I dont want to go in depth here but Jerry using the second round as his "risk taking round" has really hurt this team.

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

That is just 2016. Instead of building the trenches they took a risk on a red shirt LB who may never be the same again. One example

Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

Luke Schoonmaker a TE who we didnt need and who will be almost 30 by the time he needs a new contract was the pick

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

This is 3 drafts where the Jones' used a second round pick on backup players. Where a pick for a legitmate starter was needed.

Yes they have hit on some second rounders but if you look at the way Detroit drafts. They stick to their board. They dont take chances until later rounds. When you are supposed to. Rounds 1 and 2 are for legitmate plug and play players. Not projects.

This is one of many reasons that this team keeps getting lapped by other teams. Jerry needs to turn over all football operations so this doesnt happen again. Because it will. He cant help himself.
Yep. Many of us have been complaining for years now. The first 2 - 3 rounds should be on smart picks which will play and contribute right away, not some project players who don't pan out. This team keeps digging itself deeper in a hole when talking about talent (or lack of it) because it wastes so many 2nd and 3rd round picks year after year. It shows on the field.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sure he had some good picks. The point is that Bobby Carpenter is a first round pick that was made for all the wrong reasons. These things happen over and over because there is no accountability. I believe that is the point of the OP. I can live with mistakes when the intentions are true. It is the mistakes where the intentions are obviously suspect that frustrates. Draft picks that are favors to a friend or publicity stunts or unnecessary gambles. Then we double down by giving them roster spots and playing time no matter what. The hidden agendas are all right there in the open plain to see. You just have to want to look.
I defended the Mazi pick. I was wrong. We could have had Laporta there. Or drafted Bijan Robinson and would have been better off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

Yeah I can’t buy this. Every team makes bad picks. And I see nothing to suggest Lions are better than us. If you want to find a reason why they are on their way to conference championship look no further than their culture.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No team is defined by their bad picks. 49ers traded two first round picks and more for Lance. You guys focus on the negative but you can overcome bad picks. Especially when you have structure at the top.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I defended the Mazi pick. I was wrong. We could have had Laporta there. Or drafted Bijan Robinson and would have been better off.
Agreed I was also on board with the pick. Big strong guy to help stop the run. May end up being a bad pick we shall see. To my knowledge there is nothing about the pick that you can point to and say that it never should have happened.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

Good post, but All the other teams passed on them too...For the most part the draft is a crap shoot.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You can defend bad picks for sure but Carpenter, Gregory, Jaylon, BossmanFat, Sam Williams, etc. are all examples of players that should have never been drafted where they were taken. They are examples of players that no other team in the NFL would have ever considered taking where they were taken. We can do it because we have no accountability. Jerry can do whatever he wants and it shows. It hurts the team. It is as simple as that. When you start to look at the contracts we hand out to own home grown "stars" things get even worse.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Agreed I was also on board with the pick. Big strong guy to help stop the run. May end up being a bad pick we shall see. To my knowledge there is nothing about the pick that you can point to and say that it never should have happened.
in time, Mazi might turn out good. Maybe in a different scheme he'd be better. I know we still need some beef on the line to compete with the elite teams.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You can defend bad picks for sure but Carpenter, Gregory, Jaylon, BossmanFat, Sam Williams, etc. are all examples of players that should have never been drafted where they were taken. They are examples of players that no other team in the NFL would have ever considered taking where they were taken. We can do it because we have no accountability. Jerry can do whatever he wants and it shows. It hurts the team. It is as simple as that. When you start to look at the contracts we hand out to own home grown "stars" things get even worse.
This is all I am trying to point out.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah I can’t buy this. Every team makes bad picks. And I see nothing to suggest Lions are better than us. If you want to find a reason why they are on their way to conference championship look no further than their culture.
Every team does make bad picks. However, they arent making them because the owner looks at the second round as his fun round.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But but but but we have Will McClay at the wheel...................... :muttley: ..............Mazi,Taco where are you man????
maxresdefault.jpg
...but Will McClay is not behind the steering wheel. The Cowboys organizational structure has him in the back seat of its Jeep Wagoneer.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can defend bad picks for sure but Carpenter, Gregory, Jaylon, BossmanFat, Sam Williams, etc. are all examples of players that should have never been drafted where they were taken. They are examples of players that no other team in the NFL would have ever considered taking where they were taken.
Lol you don't know this.