One glaring reason this team is behind Detroit (Do Not Post About Dak)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Teams that have strong running games and aren't one dimensional are teams that are currently still playing. Anyone expecting Dallas to make a post season run vs. great, playoff caliber teams with 50 yards or less running a game are wrong.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I think the cowboys are clearly behind teams like San Fran, Baltimore, kc, Buffalo for sure. I don’t really agree that we are “behind the lions”.

Yes, they have advanced to a championship game more recently than us so if that’s you’re metric it’s technically correct but we beat them late in the season and if we faced them again I think we match up very well with them. I think if Detroit played Green Bay they’d have struggled also.

Now I’m not justifying us losing to the packers, that was a disgraceful embarrassing performance but I just don’t really agree that we are “behind the lions” even though they have had a wonderful season and advanced further than we have in a long time.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Again. This isnt about doing it for every team. I understand whiffing on a pick.

The point I am making is that they take UNNECESSARY risks in the second round instead of just drafting good football players. You want to take a risk go for it.

Go for it in the 5th. Not the second.
Yea it's not a good point because if you don't do it for every team then can't contextualize whether it matters or not.

You're also just blindly guessing as to "why" things happen.

Rayman70

Reaction score
all the remaining teams are balanced. They have weaknesses on the back end all of them. They are all vulnerable in the secondary. But they all run the ball well and they all have physicality in the trenches.Thats the best way to fix Dallas. I think that means DQ leaving and a change in defensive approaches. We gotta revamp the oline too. Imagine if we drafted Bijan Robinson a bit early instead of Mazi. What could have been. The entire dynamic of how u defend us changes.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yea it's not a good point because if you don't do it for every team then can't contextualize whether it matters or not.

You're also just blindly guessing as to "why" things happen.
No. Its the reality. Jerry has said as much. Hence Joseph, Sam Williams, Trysten Hill, Schoonmaker.

Other teams dont take risks on head cases. They just miss on picks. Only in Dallas where the owner/GM/president make final calls do you see this kind of dysfunction.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It really isn't complicated. Honestly all you need to do is go back and closely follow the NFL career of Jaylon Smith. Watch him play football. Watch how he acts and is treated by Ownership. That one player perfectly sums up everything that is wrong with this team and why we always come up short.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Jones and McCaffery illustrated what a playoff team should look like in January.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No. Its the reality. Jerry has said as much. Hence Joseph, Sam Williams, Trysten Hill, Schoonmaker.

Other teams dont take risks on head cases. They just miss on picks. Only in Dallas where the owner/GM/president make final calls do you see this kind of dysfunction.
Doesn't matter why they miss and it doesn't matter if they miss if you don't do the same exercise for other teams. I mean just in 2019, here are the picks surrounding Hill.

52. Drew Sample
53. Miles Sanders
54. Lonnie Johnson
55. Max Scharping
56. Mecole Hardman
57. JJ Arcega Whiteside
58. Trysten Hill
59. Parris Campbell
60. Nasir Adderley
61. Taylor Rapp
62. Andy Isabella
63. Juan Thornhill
64. DK Metcalf

Taking Hill isn't any worse than taking any of those other guys - especially the safeties and WRs.

This thread isn't the dunk you want it to be lol.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Detroit and SF are dominant at the line of scrimmage. Dallas has 3 All-Pros on the OL and somehow cant run the ball if their lives depended on it.
Dallas does not have a scheme or outside weapons to create numbers advantages. That's it. It has nothing to do with OL talent.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This goes back to the 2016 draft. I dont want to go in depth here but Jerry using the second round as his "risk taking round" has really hurt this team.

Lets look at who was available when the Cowboys took a risk on Jaylon Smith.

Chris Jones DT
A'Shawn Robinson DT
Deion Jones LB
Michael Thomas WR

That is just 2016. Instead of building the trenches they took a risk on a red shirt LB who may never be the same again. One example

Available after Trysten Hill
Dk Metcalf WR
Juan Thornhill S

Kelvin Joseph-More red flags than an amusement park was the pick.

Walker Little OT
Creed Humphrey C
JOK LB
Nick Bolton LB

Luke Schoonmaker a TE who we didnt need and who will be almost 30 by the time he needs a new contract was the pick

O'Cyrus Torrence OL
Devon Achane RB

This is 3 drafts where the Jones' used a second round pick on backup players. Where a pick for a legitmate starter was needed.

Yes they have hit on some second rounders but if you look at the way Detroit drafts. They stick to their board. They dont take chances until later rounds. When you are supposed to. Rounds 1 and 2 are for legitmate plug and play players. Not projects.

This is one of many reasons that this team keeps getting lapped by other teams. Jerry needs to turn over all football operations so this doesnt happen again. Because it will. He cant help himself.
But but but but we have Will McClay at the wheel...................... :muttley: ..............Mazi,Taco where are you man????
maxresdefault.jpg

phildadon86

Reaction score
Doesn't matter why they miss and it doesn't matter if they miss if you don't do the same exercise for other teams. I mean just in 2019, here are the picks surrounding Hill.

52. Drew Sample
53. Miles Sanders
54. Lonnie Johnson
55. Max Scharping
56. Mecole Hardman
57. JJ Arcega Whiteside
58. Trysten Hill
59. Parris Campbell
60. Nasir Adderley
61. Taylor Rapp
62. Andy Isabella
63. Juan Thornhill
64. DK Metcalf

Taking Hill isn't any worse than taking any of those other guys - especially the safeties and WRs.

This thread isn't the dunk you want it to be lol.
You think taking Hill over Metcalf or Thornhill is better? LOL. Only dunk you just did is on yourself. Off the backboard.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Do you really think they missed on picks on purpose?

If so there really isn't any discussion to be had
That isnt what I meant by on purpose. When you draft a guy with issues whether they are mental, legal, or coaching related. You are taking a MASSIVE risk. Especially in a round where you want a starter. Thats what I mean by missing on purpose. If they took a guy with talent and no issues then they missed and it happens, when you put yourself in the position where you are most likely going to regret the pick, thats on purpose.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Dallas does not have a scheme or outside weapons to create numbers advantages. That's it. It has nothing to do with OL talent.
Numbers advantages??? Are you kidding? When teams wanted to stop Dallas, they were playing with 6 in the box, 2 deep Safeties, and they STILL could NOT run the ball.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Numbers advantages??? Are you kidding? When teams wanted to stop Dallas, they were playing with 6 in the box, 2 deep Safeties, and they STILL could NOT run the ball.
Nope

Dallas also doesn't run to numbers advantages, regardless of the defensive alignment.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You think taking Hill over Metcalf or Thornhill is better? LOL. Only dunk you just did is on yourself. Off the backboard.
No, the point is that there's no difference in taking Hill vs. the 10 other guys there who aren't Thornhill and Metcalf.

Your dear Detroit Lions whiffed on their second rounder too, and took Jahlani Tavai before AJ Brown.

phildadon86

Reaction score
No, the point is that there's no difference in taking Hill vs. the 10 other guys there who aren't Thornhill and Metcalf.

Your dear Detroit Lions whiffed on their second rounder too, and took Jahlani Tavai before AJ Brown.
My dear Detroit Lions? I am a die hard Cowboy fan.

Its amazing how offended some Cowboys fans get when something gets questioned. You really dont see the point of this thread, I am done trying to explain it to you.

Stop taking risks in the second. Not a hard concept.