One Of Our Own Has Died in Combat... Funeral Photograph Added, Post #200

DallasKnight

Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for those who serve our Country in the Armed Forces. Major Hagerty, thank you for your sacrifice. It has NOT gone unnoticed, or unappreciated. R.I.P.

JBond

Reaction score
Welcome home soldier. May God be with your family and friends in their time of sadness. Thank you for the ultimate sacrifice, keeping us civilians safe. RIP.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Published: June 11, 2008 11:00 am
Hagerty’s funeral Friday
Rick Hoover - NewsPress

Funeral services for Maj. Scott Hagerty of Stillwater will take place Friday.

Hagerty, a graduate of Stillwater High School and Oklahoma State University, was killed in action near Zormat, Afghanistan on June 3.

Hagerty’s funeral will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church, intersection of Seventh and Duck. Burial will follow at Sunset Memorial Gardens, 6500 S. Perkins Road. Hagerty will be accorded full military honors.

Hagerty died when a roadside bomb exploded near his vehicle. The blast also claimed 20-year-old Pfc. Derek Holland of Wind Gap, Pa.

Hagerty’s wife, Daphne, and their sons, Jonathan, age 10, and Samuel, 20 months, are Stillwater residents, as are Hagerty’s parents, Don and Shirley Hagerty.

Hagerty’s family is asking the community to help honor and thank Hagerty for his sacrifice, including:

• Attend his funeral — additional seating will be available in the church’s fellowship hall, where the service will be available via television link.

• Honor and thank the members of the military attending the funeral.

• Several sites are provided such as the “condolences” link at www.Strodefh.com or search for Scott Hagerty on the Legacy.com link at www.stwnewspress.com.

Additionally, the family has asked that supporters line the route to the cemetery. The procession will travel east on Seventh Avenue to Main Street, and then south on Main Street to Sunset Memorial Gardens. Supporters can bring American flags and homemade signs of remembrance and thanks.

Matt Hull, a financial adviser with Edward D. Jones, 919 S. Main St., is helping spread the word about Friday’s ceremonies.

“I’m just kind of doing what’s right to honor the people who are from this community who are willing to do things that other people aren’t,” Hull said.

Hull is recruiting Boy Scouts and volunteers to be downtown to hold full-size American flags as the procession passes. He said Troops 806 and 822 are providing approximately 100 full-size flags for Friday.

Hull is also informing downtown businesses of the plans and asking the businesses to inform their customers so that they may also line the procession route. As part of his efforts, Hull said Forman Harley-Davidson on South Main has agreed to allow supporters to gather in their parking lot, which is one of the last areas to gather before the procession will reach the cemetery.

“I don’t think I’ve ever worked on anything as important,” Hull said. “You would hope that your friends and your neighbors would do the same thing for you.”

The NewsPress will print an American flag in Thursday’s newspaper. NewsPress employees will wear red, white and blue ribbons and are encouraging other supporters to do the same. The NewsPress has some ribbons available at the office, 211 W. Ninth Ave., and they are free as long as supplies last.

Hagerty graduated from Stillwater High in 1984 and earned a bachelor’s degree in 1993 in political science, pre-law and international relations from OSU.

thor_01

Reaction score
and my deepest pride for his service to his country, and my sincere gratitude for defending my family and our American way of life.........
and I pray sincerely the roof on the new stadium is open for all home games so that he doesnt miss a game from where he is sitting.............

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Some of you may notice that Major Hagerty is now the default background image on the site.

His funeral is tomorrow. This is our way of flying a flag at half mast in his honor.

Saturday we'll remove the image and it will go back to the previous default image. I want to make something clear, this was done because he is a soldier who died in the service of our country and was a member of this site. These are unique circumstances.

DallasFanSince86

Pessimism Sucks
Reaction score
Hostile;2115788 said:
Some of you may notice that Major Hagerty is now the default background image on the site.

His funeral is tomorrow. This is our way of flying a flag at half mast in his honor.

Saturday we'll remove the image and it will go back to the previous default image. I want to make something clear, this was done because he is a soldier who died in the service of our country and was a member of this site. These are unique circumstances.

Great job. Very nice tribute.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2115788 said:

Will Hagerty's background be permanently removed from the Select Feature Image drop down list? I only ask in case some of us would prefer to keep him as a background past this weekend.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasEast;2115824 said:
Will Hagerty's background be permanently removed from the Select Feature Image drop down list? I only ask in case some of us would prefer to keep him as a background past this weekend.
I can ask. We had no plans past Saturday.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I love this forum.

All a Military Man wants from those he is serving is Respect.

Thank You and God Bless Scott Hagerty.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thanks again for information, Hostile.

Maj. Scott Hagarty deserves our utmost respect and his family out deepest condolences.

WarC

Reaction score
My heart goes out to your widow and young children. Rest in peace brother, and thank you for your service and sacrifice. May you live on in the cherished memories of your family and friends.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If any of you have ever wanted to confront the anti-war protestors from the Kansas church who mock our fallen soldiers here is your chance.

Edit: They will be on the corner of 6th Ave. and Main St. near the Walgreens.

I just learned that they will be in Stillwater, Oklahoma tomorrow doing what they do. They will be about 4 blocks from the Church and the funeral procession will not see them. Nor will they hear them. The Veterans biker gang who follows them will also be there revving up their Harleys between the protestors and the church.

28bringinthewood

Reaction score
What a wonderful and deserving tribute to Major Hagerty. This is only one reason I love this place. I would also like to know if his background will be permanently removed from the Select Feature Image drop down list.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2115896 said:
If any of you have ever wanted to confront the anti-war protestors from the Kansas church who mock our fallen soldiers here is your chance.

Subhuman garbage. Those people better hope there isn't a God, because judgment day will not go in their favor.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Hostile;2108923 said:
Warning...before you even think about posting in this thread read this. You did not know this man's politics and in this thread no one cares about yours. This is about a tribute to one of our own. Political posts or otherwise insensitive remarks will be removed and anyone who posts them could end up suspended or banned.

I received a PM a little over an hour ago that one of our forum members has been killed in Combat in Afghanistan. His username here was scotth66.

His name was Army Major Scott Hagerty.

27345960_121268466303.jpg

Here's a portion of two PMs that were sent to me, shared with you here with the permission of his friend.

Sounds like a great man.

Here's the Link to the story of his death, and the article.

A Guest book tribute has been added for him if any of you wish to sign it.

Link

27345960_121268507920.jpg
You'll have the best damned seat at the new stadium...

from one Cowboys fan to another. R.I.P

Beerguzzler44

Reaction score
God bless you my friend, I thank you for keeping us safe and free. I rarely use the word "HERO" but when it comes to the soldiers who are fighting for thier country they are the real "HERO'S"

Thank you.

ologan

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon;2111698 said:
Eulogy for a Veteran

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the Gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the mornings hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.
--Author Unknown

Sleep well my Brothers and Sisters ...and know that as we've always done ...so shall we also do in the name of FREEDOM!!!!

Please accept my most humble condolences to his family...sleep well my Brother, and rest-in-peace.

Phoenix-Talon
USAF
afe8.jpg

Thanks,PT. You may be the only 'foe' who realizes his sacrifice was for you,too! Class act,PT,and I don't throw that compliment around freely!

cwbyfn1957

Reaction score
As an American
As a Former Soldier
As the Proud Father of a US Marine
As a Cowboy Fan
I Salute You
Major Scott Hagerty
R.I.P.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
200806_lnscott1.jpg

Photo from the funeral.

The line of people to pay tribute stretched for 5 miles on both sides of the road from the church to the gravesite.

Major Hagerty's widow saw the site and read your words of tribute.

Monday his friend who has kept me up to date on all of this would like to tell you all how much it has meant.

Just thought you all should know.