One reason why Garrett keeps his job

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
3 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins in 8 years and no nfc championship game is unacceptable. Not sure how people can continue to defend this.

You can make a case the first 3 years he was on-the-job training. He tried to be his own OC, until Jerry decided it was too much and forced him to accept Callahan as his OC/play caller. Not to mention changed defense to 4-3 and wasted a year with Monte Kiffin. After some sense of stability, he started making the playoff.

erod

Reaction score
There are two distinct reasons Garrett is still here.

Jerry hates the idea of being financially beholden to a coach who never kissed his ring.

And, Jason is family and never questions Jerry on anything.

Little Jr

Reaction score
You can make a case the first 3 years he was on-the-job training. He tried to be his own OC, until Jerry decided it was too much and forced him to accept Callahan as his OC/play caller. Not to mention changed defense to 4-3 and wasted a year with Monte Kiffin. After some sense of stability, he started making the playoff.
8 years with 3 playoff appearances, 2 wins and no nfc championship game. Unacceptable.

visionary

Reaction score
Let me ask you this......do you think Jerry ( the GM) affected his ability to be a better coach in the first few years.

Let me tell you this

Jerry the GM will be here for the next 5 years
You happy to be 'relevant'?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasnt directed at the OP. He said it might make for discussion. My part of the discussion is, 3 play off appearances, 2 wins and not nfc championship games in 8 years. That's unacceptable and I can't see how people still defend the guy and there are one's who defend him.

I assumed the "I don't know how people still defend the guy" was directed at anyone who suggested there was any reason to keep Garrett, including the OP. If my assumption was wrong, my apology.

Little Jr

Reaction score
I assumed the "I don't know how people still defend the guy" was directed at anyone who suggested there was any reason to keep Garrett, including the OP. If my assumption was wrong, my apology.
It was directed at anyone who suggest there is a reason why we should keep him. I didn't take the OP as that. I took it as a reason why some might, specifically FO, and he was bringing it up as an discussion but not his opinion in why we should or that he thinks we should.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was directed at anyone who suggest there is a reason why we should keep him. I didn't take the OP as that. I took it as a reason why some might, specifically FO, and he was bringing it up as an discussion but not his opinion in why we should or that he thinks we should.

Fair enough. In the end, to make a decision on Garrett one has to weigh the pros and cons, and the division record is a pro, but I'm with you that the cons easily outweigh the pros.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I have liked Garrett and I am one of the few that thinks he is a pretty good coach, not great but better than a lot of coaches in the NFL. Next year will be the deciding factor to me for him though. The first 3 years were an obvious rebuild and without any cap space, that only leaves the draft, which takes longer. I think it was just last year, maybe 2016, that he had the same number of draft picks used as Jimmy Johnson did in his time here and not near the 1st-3rd rounders that Jimmy had. It takes time to build when you only use the draft, which we were forced to do with the Cap the way it was. And since 2014, there has not been 2 back to back years where there was not some kind of drama or issue, 2015 - Romo Hurt, bad defense, etc, 2016, a season we could have built on, 2017, the zeke suspension hanging over the team for most the year, 2018, slow start with a great run to end the year... next year we need to build off 2018. If we don't, I think it will be time to say good bye.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
A coach that gets you to relevant but not more in 10 years, is telling you that is who he is

You will be average with him
The reason a HC who has not reached the conf CG in the first 5 years never gets there is because that is who he is. If he had the ability to be better he would have done that in 10 years on the job

10 years !!

There used to be a self proclaimed 'Cowboy historian' on CZ who was a huge Garrett apologist and he would say that if Garrett stays for 10 years we will win multiple SBs

Well, how many have we won 10 years later?

I'm sure now he is coming up with new excuses to comfort himself

Fans find these sort of stats to excuse poor performance all the time. Marvin Lewis made the post season several times so I'm betting he had a pretty good conference record too.

What did he do in the post season

Gotta stop with the excuses and diversions

The objective of playing in the NFL is to win SBs

The reality is that we will NEVER win a SB with Garrett as HC

The reality is that THE ONLY reason he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys is because Jerry is comfortable with him

That is it

The rest is just window dressing

OP made it pretty clear it wasn't an excuse for anything but keep on ranting anyway. Just looking at possible reasons why Jerry keeps him beyond the usual "puppet" line.

Jason does just enough to keep his job but I also doubt he'll ever get the team to a SB. Jerry obviously disagrees.

visionary

Reaction score
OP made it pretty clear it wasn't an excuse for anything but keep on ranting anyway. Just looking at possible reasons why Jerry keeps him beyond the usual "puppet" line.

Jason does just enough to keep his job but I also doubt he'll ever get the team to a SB. Jerry obviously disagrees.

So leaves are green because they have chlorophyll

BUT

let's pretend like we don't know that and pretend like they are green because the magic fairy made them green?

Gotcha :facepalm:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
We've won the division two of the last three years because we have a lot of talent. Bottom line, we've hit on our draft picks the last few years.

But almost anyone can win with talent. The top coaches maximize the talent they do have, and Garrett never does that.

As for why he's still here... that six-hour period on Monday from Garrett's radio show to Garrett's PC explained that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasnt directed at the OP. He said it might make for discussion. My part of the discussion is, 3 play off appearances, 2 wins and not nfc championship games in 8 years. That's unacceptable and I can't see how people still defend the guy and there are one's who defend him.

I think for Jerry it's more than just Garrett being a puppet.

I'm ready to move on form Garrett; however, Garrett is better as a HC than Wade Phillips. That's not a big endorsement because as a Head Coach, Wade was terrible. The locker-room devolved into players with an overwhelming sense of entitlement despite no significant team accomplishments. The defense finally just flat quit on Wade.

It's similar for Dave Campo. Like Wade, he never should have been a Head Coach in the NFL.

On the flip side, Jimmy and Parcells were at the far extreme of "My way or the Highway" type of personalities which was a big struggle for Jerry.

The biggest problem to me is that it is extremely difficult to get both an elite OC and elite DC if one of them is not the HC. The Rams had to make McVay the HC to get him. Arizona was so desperate for an OC that they hired Kingsbury as their HC.

I think it was good that Jerry gave Garrett a few years to see if he could do it instead of just swapping out HCs every 3 or 4 years; however, at some point enough is enough.

I do wonder if the Joneses thought about firing Garrett but determined the coach they would want was not available.

One of the overlooked difficulties of firing and hiring a new HC is that the HC that the team really prefers might not be available or ready to make the move in the exact same year that they fire the current HC. I think that happened when Parcells retired.". Wade was the choice out of limited options that year. If Parcells had retired a year earlier or if Sean Payton had stayed with the Cowboys a year longer, it's highly likely Payton would have been the HC instead of Wade.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
two things. Our owner loves JG and wont admit to a mistake. we have to ride this out until there is a good exit ramp for him to take.

Now, i also did some research and this is a STAT no one talks about. ok if we re ALWAYS going to use stats or make up stats or ptu stats where we need to justify said opinion, someone finally picked up this stat and how it works is real simple. Garrett goes out and brushes a part of the field and if the grass goes to the left side, we win, BUT if it falls to the right side, we lose. that stat right there, is the real reason we keep Garrett.

ksadler1

Reaction score
A coach that gets you to relevant but not more in 10 years, is telling you that is who he is

The reason a HC who has not reached the conf CG in the first 5 years never gets there is because that is who he is. If he had the ability to be better he would have done that in 10 years on the job

10 years !!

There used to be a self proclaimed 'Cowboy historian' on CZ who was a huge Garrett apologist and he would say that if Garrett stays for 10 years we will win multiple SBs

Fans find these sort of stats to excuse poor performance all the time. Marvin Lewis made the post season several times so I'm betting he had a pretty good conference record too.

The reality is that THE ONLY reason he is HC of the Dallas Cowboys is because Jerry is comfortable with him

That is it

Throw Andy Reid's name in the hat as well. Reid did an exceptional job in Philly. His teams were always in the thick of things come playoff time but only got to the SB once. In a relatively weak NFC Conference during those years, that's inexcusable. I guess we'll see if his Chiefs can change his "legacy", but as of now it's the SOS different year/team. . .

75boyz

Reaction score

10 years !!

That is it

You speak for a large majority of cowboyszone (at least I would hope) with this truthful analysis. Well said, I totally agree and fantastic post.

Pokes12

Reaction score
totally agree. he may be a great organizer but his track record were it counts should have resulted in his dismissal many years ago. He is Jerry's boy, end of statement.