One thing all of the OC candidates have in common

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One thing I think we all can agree is they WILL NOT hire anyone with a playbook that takes carries away from 21. Here's Garrett's base offense I found.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/every-nfl-teams-best-offensive-pla

Dallas.gif

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys' offense under Coach Jason Garrett has always been based more on the talent at his disposal than the scheme itself, keeping things simple and trusting his players to win key matchups. In the running game, this works particularly well because of a very talented offensive line and star running back Ezekiel Elliott. One of their core passing concepts goes back to the 1990s when Ernie Zampese was their offensive coordinator. He called it 525 F-Post, and it has become a staple for offenses across the modern NFL. The tight end runs a shallow cross (1) designed to draw the attention of underneath defenders, leaving the slot receiver (2) one-on-one with a nickel corner on a quick post

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is the truth.

Dak can't run KC's or New Orleans' offense. Just because you call it doesn't mean your QB can do it.

Mahomes or Brees can run any offense, including Linehan's, and score at will.
I see where you are coming from but honestly it yet to be determined. He has to grow but I am still not sure if it was his weaknesses or the playbook or Linehan. Our Offense has been predictable for years. This year we didn’t exactly have the O-Line like we did his rookie year. And I am not making excuses for our QB. He took sacks that he should not have. And missed a few passes. I use the work lightly because I do believe fans and even media may expect more perfection out of a Dallas Cowboys starting QB. I watched big ben miss more than one wide open pass in the same game and brady also.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I just don’t know. If I am JJ I may gamble and let him play out his rookie deal. And if we bring in a new OC with his own plays and playbook do we give him and this Offense some leeway to learn it? We can’t expect this Offense in today’s weak TC to learn a new Offense that quick. We are gonna see bad passes and wrong routes ran, missed blocking assignments. Heck we may be sorry this year if we change to much. But we know who is gonna take the blame.

glimmerman

Reaction score
One thing I think we all can agree is they WILL NOT hire anyone with a playbook that takes carries away from 21. Here's Garrett's base offense I found.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/every-nfl-teams-best-offensive-pla

Dallas.gif

NFC EAST
Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys' offense under Coach Jason Garrett has always been based more on the talent at his disposal than the scheme itself, keeping things simple and trusting his players to win key matchups. In the running game, this works particularly well because of a very talented offensive line and star running back Ezekiel Elliott. One of their core passing concepts goes back to the 1990s when Ernie Zampese was their offensive coordinator. He called it 525 F-Post, and it has become a staple for offenses across the modern NFL. The tight end runs a shallow cross (1) designed to draw the attention of underneath defenders, leaving the slot receiver (2) one-on-one with a nickel corner on a quick post
Bro that’s hilariously true. His playbook is a index card with big writing on it. Bringing in a new OC with his own playbook takes most everything away from JG except clapping and throwing a challenge flag. But a new Offense or playbook comes with growing pains. Dak is going to take a bigger beating from fans and media this year. Missed blocking assignments and wrong routes ran, bad passes. “Thought he was supposed to zig and he zagged.”

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
The new OC needs to flip the script , after the Cooper trade the boys moved the ball when going pass heavy.(notice I didn't say pass happy) It's nice having the leagues leading rusher but not a necessity especially if it's related to the most carries. If the boys want to score more points they are going to have to pass the ball more. The D shouldn't need to be protected as in the past. The O needs to be more aggressive and stop running Zeke into a brick wall at times. Use the pass to set up the run.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Most likely play calling is limited with Our qb weaknesses. I wasn’t attached to Linehan but he’s just another casualty with the Dak attack.
In your opinion, What was Dak’s weakness that warrented the playcalling under Linehan?

bb721

Reaction score
They are not African American, Hispanic American, or Asian American? None has been a head Coach on any level.

My best guess is that he’s just pointing out that there are no minority candidates?

erod

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from but honestly it yet to be determined. He has to grow but I am still not sure if it was his weaknesses or the playbook or Linehan. Our Offense has been predictable for years. This year we didn’t exactly have the O-Line like we did his rookie year. And I am not making excuses for our QB. He took sacks that he should not have. And missed a few passes. I use the work lightly because I do believe fans and even media may expect more perfection out of a Dallas Cowboys starting QB. I watched big ben miss more than one wide open pass in the same game and brady also.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I just don’t know. If I am JJ I may gamble and let him play out his rookie deal. And if we bring in a new OC with his own plays and playbook do we give him and this Offense some leeway to learn it? We can’t expect this Offense in today’s weak TC to learn a new Offense that quick. We are gonna see bad passes and wrong routes ran, missed blocking assignments. Heck we may be sorry this year if we change to much. But we know who is gonna take the blame.
He has to wind up to get the ball downfield, and his accuracy gets pretty shoddy as a result.

Ellie quarterbacks can sling it deeper like it's nothing. Dak and others have to shot put the ball.

I think that's why he's so reluctant to throw anything but sideline routes deep.

He's not terrible. He's just limited.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Since Garrett has been the OC and the HC the whole league has stated how predictable and unimaginative our offense is. Seriously, defenses, media, analysts, and our own players have all talked about this.

Bring in some fresh thinking and give them the keys to the offense. Preferably, someone with RPO experience and some Air Raid concepts. As far as Dak having to learn a whole new offense...one, he's a professional so he'll figure it out. Two, no more square peg round hole issues. The new OC should build the offense and call plays that call to Dak's (and our other offensive personnel's) strengths.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Since Garrett has been the OC and the HC the whole league has stated how predictable and unimaginative our offense is. Seriously, defenses, media, analysts, and our own players have all talked about this.

Bring in some fresh thinking and give them the keys to the offense. Preferably, someone with RPO experience and some Air Raid concepts. As far as Dak having to learn a whole new offense...one, he's a professional so he'll figure it out. Two, no more square peg round hole issues. The new OC should build the offense and call plays that call to Dak's (and our other offensive personnel's) strengths.
I honestly think that Prescott would flourish in more of a system like he was in at Mississippi State.

If they are going to marry him with a contract, they better get someone who can replicate that.

It is about as simple of a decision as you could make.

It goes hand in hand if you are going to anoint him.

I wouldn't. But I don't think the Joneses think like I do.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I honestly think that Prescott would flourish in more of a system like he was in at Mississippi State.

If they are going to marry him with a contract, they better get someone who can replicate that.

Agreed. Dak seems like he should run some form of Urban Meyer's offense, which makes sense since Dan Mullen is a Meyer disciple.

Maybe someone like John Hevesey or Billy Gonzales, Dan Mullen's co-OC's at Florida and Mississippi State.

Alexander

Reaction score
Agreed. Dak seems like he should run some form of Urban Meyer's offense, which makes sense since Dan Mullen is a Meyer disciple.

Maybe someone like John Hevesey or Billy Gonzales, Dan Mullen's co-OC's at Florida and Mississippi State.
Dude. You are smart enough to know how the nepotism in the NFL would make this out of the box thinking impossible, right?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dude. You are smart enough to know how the nepotism in the NFL would make this out of the box thinking impossible, right?

Oh, I fully expect to see that we named Doug Nussmeier as OC and how he has a bunch of fresh, new ideas to run Garrett's 1990s offense.

Alexander

Reaction score
Oh, I fully expect to see that we named Doug Nussmeier as OC and how he has a bunch of fresh, new ideas to run Garrett's 1990s offense.
So why do you run through the mental gymnastics and dream?

Seems a little masochistic.

Wait. We are Cowboys fans. We almost have to be masochistic.