One thing that is really bugs me about how we handled WR

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The DC WR corps is no longer considered a top 5 one. I don't think it even makes the top 10.

I am not sure Prescott doesn't do better with more possession type receivers. They will need the RB's to step up on the receiving. It is a good thing they kept Schultz. He might lead them in catches since he was only 1 off last season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We got Walowitz, a future HOF OT for Cooper.

How could one complain?

Look, Cooper isn't here because his declining numbers didn't match 20m per, but more so because his agent, unlike that of Elliott, allowed a contract that was easy for the team to get out of....or he would still be here giving 10-12m of production for 20.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Yes and no. Cooper is a good player who didn’t work out with two teams now. Beckham didn’t quite work out with two teams and now he is a free agent hoping to sign with his fourth team because the Tams don’t seem interested. Randy Moss never got another opportunity after bouncing around and retired on the younger side. My point is it is hard to blame the teams once it seems like there is a pattern regardless of how good the player is. Terrell Owens got a ton of chances even though he clearly looked like the problem at all of his stops.
Nah

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The DC WR corps is no longer considered a top 5 one. I don't think it even makes the top 10.

I am not sure Prescott doesn't do better with more possession type receivers. They will need the RB's to step up on the receiving. It is a good thing they kept Schultz. He might lead them in catches since he was only 1 off last season.
I’d agree. Lamb hasn’t proven he can be a true #1. Gallup is hurt and Tolbert hasn’t played a down. Relying on the No. 88 overall pick to save your season is a bad strategy.

Maybe top 15. There’s no one you have to double team.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to get away from the vertical passing game and deploy more of a west coast style of offense. With all the assets at the WR position and a franchise QB, they still sputtered on offense. Just run the damn ball.
Problem is dak is so inaccurate our guys never catch he ball in stride. When you swing it to a pollard he wants to catch it right in his sweet spot and turn upfield. When dak throws the ball the receiver has to fight it. He throws a very uncatchable ball

Proof

Reaction score
Big difference in the prices, ages and attitudes
Fans talk about changing the culture but you can’t change the culture without changing the people
Lamb can do pretty much what cooper did
Washington has some potential to fit well in this system
And next year we should be looking WR again
At the price of a WR on a second contract you need to draft one every year and keep churning them
Let other teams buy WR’s and you develop them

yeah. i get it. we paid gallup though coming off injury. and coops only a year older.

Proof

Reaction score
Not last year he didn't. The whole reason is that a fabulous route runner's wasted on Dak (and KM).... look at the percentages he threw to WR3/4 and TE. We are building a Swiss Army knife of a receiving Corp that helps Dak find someone. It also means we can make in play strategic changes based on defensive schemes.

last year is an outlier and a weird year in general for Dak. i said he has proven to be able to, not he did it last year. and a precise route runner is easier to throw to han a 50/50 guy. as far as swiss army knife, again the versatile, technician lends itself more to that description lol. like i understand you like the moves, but the justification ain’t adding up

Proof

Reaction score
His salary limited what them would give up in a trade.
- Teams that were going to spend 20M per on a WR, had already signed free agents.

except there’s since been 4 trades for first rounders and 20+ mil contracts

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
last year is an outlier and a weird year in general for Dak. i said he has proven to be able to, not he did it last year. and a precise route runner is easier to throw to han a 50/50 guy. as far as swiss army knife, again the versatile, technician lends itself more to that description lol. like i understand you like the moves, but the justification ain’t adding up

In a world without the CAP then we keep Coop.....however there is a CAP and our 2022 and 2023 years were extremely problematic (and we've already restructured DLaw's contract into an increase in 2023). Now if we kept Coop and restructured as the Browns did, then great for 2022 . Then in 2023 (which we are already overspent) we would be in the same scenario as this year , but this time without Gallup (who we would have lost this season).

The financial situation meant we had to make a harsh decision and as we drafted CeeDee as a WR1, we went with the cheaper Gallup and looked to the draft to supplement.

Sometimes you have to make those hard decisions and I for one am glad we've started drawing lines in the stand and paying players for performance and $22m in our offensive scheme just isnt a wise use of limited resources.

lqmac1

Reaction score
I think NFL executives made a statement this off-season. They don’t value wide receivers as much as we do

Proof

Reaction score
In a world without the CAP then we keep Coop.....however there is a CAP and our 2022 and 2023 years were extremely problematic (and we've already restructured DLaw's contract into an increase in 2023). Now if we kept Coop and restructured as the Browns did, then great for 2022 . Then in 2023 (which we are already overspent) we would be in the same scenario as this year , but this time without Gallup (who we would have lost this season).

The financial situation meant we had to make a harsh decision and as we drafted CeeDee as a WR1, we went with the cheaper Gallup and looked to the draft to supplement.

Sometimes you have to make those hard decisions and I for one am glad we've started drawing lines in the stand and paying players for performance and $22m in our offensive scheme just isnt a wise use of limited resources.

agree to disagree. they free'd up plenty of money by cutting La'el (which I'm fine with). Could have easily afforded to keep Coop even w/out a restructure. Paying for performance w/ Gallup doesn't make sense, since he was on the shelf half the year, and isn't a lock to start next year either. As far as our cap situation next year, Zeke is a much easier cut imo. All good though, what's done is done. Just not a good move in any respect to me

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
except there’s since been 4 trades for first rounders and 20+ mil contracts

Coop was a couple of days away from his 2022 contract from being guaranteed....a fact the whole league was aware of. Now teams were going to make a big trade on the proviso that the 2021 figures were just an outlier year.

Proof

Reaction score
I think NFL executives made a statement this off-season. They don’t value wide receivers as much as we do

Are you basing this off the explosion of the market and the record setting contracts? or all of the trades for first round picks? lol

Proof

Reaction score
Coop was a couple of days away from his 2022 contract from being guaranteed....a fact the whole league was aware of. Now teams were going to make a big trade on the proviso that the 2021 figures were just an outlier year.

Yeah I'm aware, I was responding to a different point. The contract deadline should have been irrelevant anyway, as at worst we'd have been stuck with a great player for another year. At best we could have flipped him for a much better return. Just foolish to do business that way.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Are you basing this off the explosion of the market and the record setting contracts? or all of the trades for first round picks? lol
Who are giving away these massive contracts? The bottom feeders of the league!

Who gave up these wide receivers?
The whales of the league!

morasp

Reaction score
Washington is closer to Gallup. Tolbert is more Cooper.

Proof

Reaction score
Who are giving away these massive contracts? The bottom feeders of the league!

Who gave up these wide receivers?
The whales of the league!

ehh. raiders, eagles and cardinals were all in the playoffs. ravens were not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas can’t get their WRs the ball in big games anyways.

Just build the OLine and try to maul our way to victory. Relying on Daks arm in a big game isn’t the way.