Only 4 starting QB's in NFL have won a Super Bowl

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Then why are Brady Montana and arguably Mahomes considered the GOATS of the sport?
Then why are 9 out of 10 MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are 9 out of 10 Super Bowl MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are Quarterbacks paid at least twice as much as the next highest salary on the roster?

Quarterback is to winning in football as pitcher is winning in baseball. It's that important.
Why is Terry Bradshaw never included with Montana, Brady and arguably Mahomes?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes they are given it by hack analysts who either do not understand football or want to dumb it down for their audience. Stafford did not suddenly learn to play QB in 2022. He was a great QB his entire career but if you had that weird "wins are a QB stat" idea you would think he suddenly was playing his best in 2022 when he clearly was much better 5 years prior and did not have the "wins" stat to show for it.
You’re totally wrong if you think it’s hack analysts who give QBs a W/L record. NFL QBs have been given W/L records for many years by everyone who covers football. If you go to Pro Football Reference they give QB W/L records. As for Stafford he played on a lot of bad teams but he’s had turnover issues. Even when he won the SB with the Rams he led the league in INTs. He even had a couple of INTs in the SB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_quarterback_wins_leaders#:~:text=In the NFL, the starting,records of wins and losses.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I'm not saying fans are necessarily wrong to give up on Dak. I'm just saying we have a whole lot of company with fans of other teams. We aren't unique.

It really makes you wonder if Jimmy Johnson really deserves the credit for the wins in the 90's, or if the true reason the Cowboys won was Aikman.

yes, Aikman put it all together.

Wow.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Why is Terry Bradshaw never included with Montana, Brady and arguably Mahomes?
Because you're talking about the 70's a totally different era 50 years ago, and the Steelers were a dominant defense. The only teams comparable were the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens. I once again use "9 out of 10 times" a team that wins the Super Bowl are going to have a good Quarterback.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about now not 1976.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)
- 2020, 2022, & 2023 Patrick Mahomes

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
Someone better tell Jerry cause its March 11th and NO extension yet?
Wasn't this a sure thing in this neighborhood?
48 hours to go and you can work all the stats you want how you want but in the end, it's broken, and it can't get up!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The mods need to kill this QB convo stuff.

Its every day and out of hand with unreasonable takes.

Im not opposed to trailblazing...But it would be nice if the Anti-Non-Super Bowl-Winning QB and Anti-Pay-QB crowd would provide reasonable timelines for their positive turnaround on switching QB's. Is it a 3 year deal? Thats a long time and a waste of other talent on your team. Is it 2 years? 5? What should your punishment be if you dont succeed? Nothing? You just switch usernames and avatars and there is no repercussions?

Dak isnt some middle of the road bus driver...he is one of the top in the League. Can you assure a Super Bowl within 3 years? And...can I pay you minimum wage until you do it or the 3 years is up?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mods need to kill this QB convo stuff.

Its every day and out of hand with unreasonable takes.

Im not opposed to trailblazing...But it would be nice if the Anti-Non-Super Bowl-Winning QB and Anti-Pay-QB crowd would provide reasonable timelines for their positive turnaround on switching QB's. Is it a 3 year deal? Thats a long time and a waste of other talent on your team. Is it 2 years? 5? What should your punishment be if you dont succeed? Nothing? You just switch usernames and avatars and there is no repercussions?

Dak isnt some middle of the road bus driver...he is one of the top in the League. Can you assure a Super Bowl within 3 years? And...can I pay you minimum wage until you do it or the 3 years is up?
Does anybody care to translate?
200w.gif

Pentagruel

Reaction score
You can't ever find one if you don't start looking. The Cowboys probably lead the league in least amount of draft capital used on a QB since Aikman in 1989 and Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

When you consider the number of starts Romo got as a FA and Dak as a 4th rounder, the Cowboys struck gold. But neither had hardly any success in January worth celebrating either.
You don’t start looking unless you have a dire need. The reality is, it’s incredibly difficult to find a starting QB in this league, and there is only one unicorn at any given time and that’s Mahomes right now. The cowboys have been incredibly lucky to have had Romo and Dak basically fall into their laps. The travesty is that they have been unable to make things work with these talented QB’s, not that they kept them around for so long. If you don’t have the unicorn you just pray for all the chips to fall right and you make sure you have everything else in place for when that does happen. The cowboys have failed to do that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Failing to win a Super Bowl in the last three decades is NOT my problem with Jerry Jones or Dak Prescott.

How about a reasonably deep playoff run or two over that time?? Not even one. Never multiple playoff wins in one season.

Yeah, I get that a few teams have been worse, but doesn’t make me feel any better.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
Gee -- Brady and Mahomes have dominated the last 20 some years. There is one SB winner every year. I'm sorta thinking that you aren't good at math and stuff

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Now do the same for QB's that have reached a Championship game.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you gave any of those QBs Dak's supporting cast they'll have multiple SBs.
All of the QBs you mentioned have faced difficult competition over the years and have propelled their teams over the top.
Dak has not, never will.
Dak excels against average and below average competition, so would any other average QB.
It has been in arguably established.

Redline360

Reaction score
"Team" game however the quarterback/ coaching influence games beyond any other postion by a massive margin. Why they get the W/L stats

However with that being said it's completely different story if your quarterback hasn't been historically bad in the playoffs and one of the massive problems. Dak unfortunately has been beyond terrible in the losses bar the Rams game where we got ran through literally.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Check this out.......I'm not sure some fans/posters appreciate the value of a consistently winning QB. Sure he needs to win in the postseason but resetting the position with a draft pick is a huge risk. What's crazy is most fans will agree, that Dak can get us to the dance, no question, but winning once we get there...........

Wow. Trey Wingo is still alive. I thought for sure Mike Golic finished him off with that terrible morning show, which actually wasn't as terrible as listening to him with Mike Greenberg.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying fans are necessarily wrong to give up on Dak. I'm just saying we have a whole lot of company with fans of other teams. We aren't unique.

It really makes you wonder if Jimmy Johnson really deserves the credit for the wins in the 90's, or if the true reason the Cowboys won was Aikman.
Bold> Football is a team sport, so the true reason was partially both Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman.

Flamma

Reaction score
You can't ever find one if you don't start looking. The Cowboys probably lead the league in least amount of draft capital used on a QB since Aikman in 1989 and Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

When you consider the number of starts Romo got as a FA and Dak as a 4th rounder, the Cowboys struck gold. But neither had hardly any success in January worth celebrating either.
Until this past season and the loss to GB, This is only the second time Dallas lost to a team in the playoffs they were expected to beat in quite some time. It's not easy for any QB to go and lead their team to victory in the playoffs over a better team. Even elite QBs have trouble doing that. The Cowboys lost in 2007 with Romo, and Dak this past season to GB. But other than those two games, they won the games they were expected to win. The problem I have with Dak is that he looked so bad in his last two playoff appearances. I thought the 49ers were the better team, but the Cowboys D played good enough to win. If this was back in the 60s I'd say Dak threw the game. Against GB was kind of a shocker. Dak usually shows up against inferior teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
Then why are Brady Montana and arguably Mahomes considered the GOATS of the sport?
Then why are 9 out of 10 MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are 9 out of 10 Super Bowl MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are Quarterbacks paid at least twice as much as the next highest salary on the roster?

Quarterback is to winning in football as pitcher is winning in baseball. It's that important.
A quarterback isn't nearly as impactful as a pitcher. A pitcher can win a game all by himself. Montana, even Brady, got their butts handed to them on multiple occasions when they went up against better teams. Especially Montana with the stacked teams he had.