Only 4 starting QB's in NFL have won a Super Bowl

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Any special reason why? You're talking about the most important position on the Dallas Cowboys. The highest profile position in professional sports. It's always been the hot topic in here with this team since Aikman retired. That won't change anytime soon.
Nothing against the board and who runs it...

Ive just seen other sports boards have a sticky topic that details the gist of the most common arguments for and against a subject...and when a topic over runs a thread...the mods refer the posters in discussion to go to the sticky thread to discuss further or to refer to the sticky because the things the posters are arguing about are detailed with the pro's and con's of each side in the sticky thread.

In this case...most threads turn into Dak discussion, with the same things being said every day...and a lot of it unreasonable, hateful or trailblazing without giving details on what your penalty should be for trailblazing if it goes wrong.

Just seems like a sticky thread or creating some sort of timeout for posters that are killing a thread with Dak arguments. Not locking the thread to all users...but warning the users arguing that they will be locked out of that specific thread if they continue. That would at least allow a thread to survive without succumbing to Dak talk and also prevent it from being locked for all users....just the users that were warned to take the Dak talk elsewhere.

Makes sense to me.

Staubacher

Reaction score
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)
- 2020, 2022, & 2023 Patrick Mahomes

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
How many have gotten to at least a Conference Final game?

Staubacher

Reaction score
Not trying to be a prick...but general consensus around here is Super Bowl or you're a loser.

Let's keep it consistent for standards
No. It's not. There's varied opinions. A ton of QBs have gone further than Dak. Let's keep it on topic.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Not trying to be a prick...but general consensus around here is Super Bowl or you're a loser.

Let's keep it consistent for standards
Yea But not all of us feel that way. Some of us actually know that's not true. Let's be real here. Dallas Cowboys fans are arrogant, fickle and sometimes, just down right suck.

Where is it written that ANY team is owed a Super Bowl. I mean if anybody should expect a Super Bowl every year, How's about those Eagles SO many on here seen to love ? Every year they make the Big signings

every year they crash out

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm just over team stats being focused on when discussing quality of QB play.

It's run its course

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak has the worst playoff win pct in the nfl since 1950 (min 5 starts).

I think fans are within their right to complain about him
Loss is a loss....At least we were there........I want to win but Dak can't do it all by himself. Again. The defense holds GB to at least 20. I have no doubt we would have won....Int's or not.... Mahomes threw more int's than Dak did and won a SB. Dak wasn't the only aspect of the team that didn't do their jobs. Dak out dueled Rodgers and what happened??? Defense let Rodgers go down the field for a winning FG. Didn't hear fans screaming the defense shouldn't get paid. :facepalm:

Proof

Reaction score
Yes they are given it by hack analysts who either do not understand football or want to dumb it down for their audience. Stafford did not suddenly learn to play QB in 2022. He was a great QB his entire career but if you had that weird "wins are a QB stat" idea you would think he suddenly was playing his best in 2022 when he clearly was much better 5 years prior and did not have the "wins" stat to show for it.
I like you

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Loss is a loss....At least we were there........I want to win but Dak can't do it all by himself. Again. The defense holds GB to at least 20. I have no doubt we would have won....Int's or not.... Mahomes threw more int's than Dak did and won a SB. Dak wasn't the only aspect of the team that didn't do their jobs. Dak out dueled Rodgers and what happened??? Defense let Rodgers go down the field for a winning FG. Didn't hear fans screaming the defense shouldn't get paid. :facepalm:
If the defense held them to 20, the offense wouldve scored 17. Against good teams, he always gets exposed.

We held a high-powered 9ers offense that was averaging 35 ppg with Purdy to 19 points. The offense scored 12 smh

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The problem is finding a QB good enough to win a SB is hard enough...NOW find one good enough to overcome the problems this FO has...thats not a holy grail...its harder to find than that...do i think Mahomes is Greatness ..yes..are we 100% sure he could overcome Jerry Jones and "His Way"...would you bet your life on it?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

So what does losing once and then leaving the league do for those player's teams?

Lose 1, lose 10, you're still losers.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
If the defense held them to 20, the offense wouldve scored 17. Against good teams, he always gets exposed.

We held a high-powered 9ers offense that was averaging 35 ppg with Purdy to 19 points. The offense scored 12 smh
Kanas City defense held high scoring Baltimore to 10 and won by 7..Even with turn overs. So why couldn't Dallas? Because Dallas is a one trick pony! Dak or bust.....I just don't understand why some fans look at Dallas different than from other teams. Like Dallas quarterback should be even more special then Mahomes. Win it all by himself :facepalm: Again. KC had the so called best quarterback in the league and their defense had to win it.....REALLY???????

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Then why are Brady Montana and arguably Mahomes considered the GOATS of the sport?
Then why are 9 out of 10 MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are 9 out of 10 Super Bowl MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are Quarterbacks paid at least twice as much as the next highest salary on the roster?

Quarterback is to winning in football as pitcher is winning in baseball. It's that important.
Awesome post!

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)
- 2020, 2022, & 2023 Patrick Mahomes

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
Other teams have gone further into the playoffs than we have. Dak has a record that says it is unlikely that he will go far into the playoff.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

The Chiefs had Alex Smith whom you could argue was about equal to Dak
they chose to look for better
They threw the dice and hit the jackpot
I guess it comes down to how BADLY you want to win a SB
I notice all those wanting to stick with Dak are those more worried about relevancy than SB's
I would rather have a few years of mediocrity and then win it all then years of winning big in the regular season AND STINK IT UP IN THE PLAYOFFS

Now of course Dak while arguably the biggest SINGLE factor is certainly far from the only one
MM is I think a Very Good coach but not a great one; and sadly our chances of getting a great coach are slim because of Jerry's need to get so much of the credit
And maybe most of all the culture of the club is not geared towards going for the SB
Just like their owner its geared towards relevancy
You say this like switching QBs is the answer to all of our problems. Yet their are 13 teams that have not been to the SB in the past 20 years...and another 9 who have only been to 2 or less SBs in their entire team history....look no farther than Detroit, NYJ, Cleveland, SD, (just to name a few) who spent a ton of 1st and 2nd rd picks on QBs yet are still mired in SB droughts not to mention very little post season success period. Everyone thinking getting a new QB or even a 1st rd pick is the silver bullet to our problems is just wishful thinking that anything is better than the current situation...ask the fans of the clubs I mentioned above or the Commanders for that matter they may tell you constantly shopping for QBs can be equally depressing...KC was the exception and far from the norm.

BlueStar22

Reaction score

If you subscribe to the notion that the Jones boys do that this team goes as far as Dak takes them, I guess. I say look at the teams that had playoff success this year and how they are constructed and how all phases performed.