Only 4 starting QB's in NFL have won a Super Bowl

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While I’d agree with the point the OP is making we can always take isolated facts or stats to support our message.

We could expand this list if we wanted to include the current QB’s who have made a SB appearance and expand it more for those in a conference championship game which is the major criteria this era for Dak and the Cowboys.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why is Terry Bradshaw never included with Montana, Brady and arguably Mahomes?
Probably because he absolutely sucked starting out. Got much better when he had arguably the best collection of players to support him. But he also did improve. He really aggravated me in the late 70s. He was not the bum people made him out to be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why is Terry Bradshaw never included with Montana, Brady and arguably Mahomes?
Bradshaw has never been placed in that circle although he has 4 Rings. But he was much more dominating than most want to give him credit regardless the HOF supporting cast and Steel Curtain.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not saying fans are necessarily wrong to give up on Dak. I'm just saying we have a whole lot of company with fans of other teams. We aren't unique.

It really makes you wonder if Jimmy Johnson really deserves the credit for the wins in the 90's, or if the true reason the Cowboys won was Aikman.
True, we aren’t unique and Dak isn’t the only franchise QB not meeting expectations.

I’d have to give the nod to Jimmy although it was Troy who led them without Jimmy.

plasticman

Reaction score
Since 2000, there have been 41 QB's that started in at least 5 playoff games while attempting at least 100 passes.

Dak is ranked 16th in passer rating while Tony Romo is ranked15th, placing them both in the top 40% of all these playoff quarterbacks. So over 60% of all quarterbacks in the 21st century had worse combined playoff performances than both Tony and Dak.

Dak is tied for 5th place in playoff rushing TD's for QB's since 2000 with 4. He is ranked 11th in yards per rushing attempt. He is ranked 11th in completion percentage, Dak is ranked 20th in INT rate, placing him in the top half of these 41 QB's.

1942willys

Reaction score
It is interesting some here go on about it being a team game and then say the QB is the ultimate piece

Mediocre coaches winning SBs? Maybe MM can be put there but otherwise no mediocre coaches I know of had won one
mediocre franchisees? I guess maybe the Rams?
Bottom line is that to win the SB you have to have the complete package. FO, Coach, Talent. Clearly several wins by those Flacco show that having a great QB is best its not necessary.
Just a lot tougher.
BUT on the other hand look at Jim Kelly. No rings and he was on a team that had it all; from FO to Coaching to Talent.
In the end you also need LUCK. Brady lost one(helmet catch) and won one (The Infamous Pete Carrol brain fart call) pretty much on luck

1942willys

Reaction score
Bradshaw has never been placed in that circle although he has 4 Rings. But he was much more dominating than most want to give him credit regardless the HOF supporting cast and Steel Curtain.
True he was not a bum but when you have the talent he had around him, you are never going to get the credit you MIGHT deserve. Personally, he got bailed out a number of times by his WRs making all but impossible catches in important games. He deserved to be in the HOF but should not be in the conversation as regards the GOAT
Look at Eli; in two plays in his first SB a sure pick is dropped and then one of the all time impossible catches by a nobody wins the game.

Creeper

Reaction score
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)
- 2020, 2022, & 2023 Patrick Mahomes

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
I posted this once before, since 2000, 294 QBs have been drafted into the NFL. 69 have been drafted in the first round. Only 10 have won a Super Bowl. That list includes Nick Foles and Joe Flacco. The Jets drafted 14 QBs in that time frame, 4 in the first round, 3 in the top 5 picks, and have not won a Super Bowl. Those who say that moving on from Dak will bring the Cowboys closer to a Super Bowl are ignoring the facts.

John813

Reaction score
A quarterback isn't nearly as impactful as a pitcher. A pitcher can win a game all by himself. Montana, even Brady, got their butts handed to them on multiple occasions when they went up against better teams. Especially Montana with the stacked teams he had.

He gets the ball every snap. Most starters can audible the play based off what they see.
A pitcher can give up one run and still get a L as his teammates can't hit/stay on base.
A QB can throw 500 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT and lose, cause his defense was non existent.

A QB can play near a perfect game and lose, similar to a pitcher.

In other sports like NBA/NHL it's a harder comparison as players need to play offense and defense and at times ride the bench to rest. But, I think in this instance it does make sense comparison wise.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
While I’d agree with the point the OP is making we can always take isolated facts or stats to support our message.

We could expand this list if we wanted to include the current QB’s who have made a SB appearance and expand it more for those in a conference championship game which is the major criteria this era for Dak and the Cowboys.
Not to agree wholeheartedly with the OP but if you want to expand his argument, let er rip.
I am getting old and collecting far too many pet peeves but asking someone with a point to then dive deeper is just lazy.

I can tell you Hurts made the Super Bowl. I can also tell you he did it with an A- roster. And he won the trip by beating a team who had no QB at all due to injuries.
I promise you Dallas would have beaten a QB less SF team to then get stomped out in a SB.

Stats, edicts and all aside it takes a perfect storm of talent and situation to win a Super Bowl.
Thats why it is such a ridiculous goal.
Jimmy was insane when he made it a goal.
And it is why he drove himself out of town. He had amped up the pressure til he was gonna burst.
Jerry being Jerry never level set and instead doubled and tripled down on that nonsense and has been talking Super Bowl for 30 straight years.,

Dallas has no business talking Super Bowls.
They need to be focused on winning individual playoff games.
Dallas had wayyyyyy more talent on paper than GB.
And got de-cleated.
Beat in all 3 phases of the game for an entire half of football that built an insurmountable lead.

It does not take a high IQ to realize the stats and performance of Dak is more than most coaches have to work with.
We do not even hear about play calls to get Dak in sync or giving him easy ones to get hot.
It is a foreign concept and when he is cold, we are shell shocked with no clue what to do.
I saw the Chiefs defense carry them of this playoff run.
Pat was flat bad at times. Magical at others but dragging a corpse of an offense along he really struggled.
The KC defense gave up 7, 24, 10, 22 points.
I personally believe Pat is the GOAT in the making but that is insanely good defense.

All that aside, Dak is not worth 60M a year. Both things can be true.
Dak is a good QB, Top 6-7 guy and far better than we are likely to find as a replacement for a good decade of trying but he is also not worth 60M AAV.

Flamma

Reaction score
He gets the ball every snap. Most starters can audible the play based off what they see.
A pitcher can give up one run and still get a L as his teammates can't hit/stay on base.
A QB can throw 500 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT and lose, cause his defense was non existent.

In other sports like NBA/NHL it's a harder comparison as players need to play offense and defense and at times ride the bench to rest. But, I think in this instance it does make sense comparison wise.
A QB needs more support than a pitcher. Montana didn't lose 49-3 to Phil Simms because he had a bad game. He never had a chance. The game was over before it started. There is no comparison between QB and pitcher. A QB needs way more support. A pitcher can shut down a team by himself. A QB can't do any of that. Peyton Manning didn't suck for one game against the 2013 Seahawks. He was overwhelmed. This doesn't happen to great pitchers. There is no comparison.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Starting pitchers only pitch every 4th day. But the guys who can do it are so rare they make the insane money anyway.
And that is where it is with QB.
It is about the scarcity of humans who can do it at an NFL replacement level.
This board almost universally hates Dak Prescott and he is easily a top 10 QB not just now but for each period of his career. He's been top 10 since making a Pro Bowl rookie year.
That is how hard it is to find a truly great QB.
There is 1 in the league currently. 1.
People think they find one and go crazy, see Philly.
Then burn that guy to the ground when he is mortal.
Because people suck.

blueblood70

Reaction score
- 2010 Aaron Rodgers (13 seasons have passed without him getting to another Super Bowl, over 40 years old coming off season ending injury)
- 2013 Russell Wilson (10 seasons have passed without him winning another Super Bowl, just cut by the Broncos, and may or may not continue to be a starter)
- 2021 Matthew Stafford (won his first and only Super Bowl in his 12th season, with his 2nd NFL team)
- 2020, 2022, & 2023 Patrick Mahomes

Some people might want to count Joe Flacco, who wasn't even in the NFL at the start of last season, but came off the couch to play for the Browns for a few games. But he's not a starter anymore, and may be out of the NFL again this season.

Finding a QB who will win a Super Bowl is the Holy Grail in the NFL. Mediocre coaches suddenly become geniuses. Incompetent owners suddenly get feted as the standard everyone should follow. Complain about Dak all you want. Other teams have fans who will complain about their QB's, who also cannot seem to win.
And to add to this out of 95 drafted quarterbacks since 2016 only one has won a Super Bowl it's just super interesting they wanna run a quarterback that seems to be hitting his stride peeking in his career with the odds of trying to find another guy who could take us past the point that our current quarterback has taken us there's other flaws on this team that has prevented us from going further besides the quarterback the quarterback cannot do this by himself I mean in Matthew Stafford had to leave in order to get his in year 13 we all know that Peyton Manning story started out three and six in his career in the playoffs was being talked about in a lot of the same ways Prescott is he got over the hump in year 9 imagine if the fan base in the ownership ran out Peyton Manning before he got that franchise a Super Bowl....

I'm not promoting that we overpay our quarterback give him the biggest contract ever in the NFL or even extend him but I'm just saying people need to keep some perspective on how hard it is to find a starting quarterback that can get us 36 wins two division titles three straight playoff appearances in the last three years alone but he's been in the playoffs 5 out of his eight years and has no losing seasons... Right we should blow it up and start over to what end to taking five years to find another quarterback to get us the same exact spot but still having these same flaws by the time we get there??

blueblood70

Reaction score
A QB needs more support than a pitcher. Montana didn't lose 49-3 to Phil Simms because he had a bad game. He never had a chance. The game was over before it started. There is no comparison between QB and pitcher. A QB needs way more support. A pitcher can shut down a team by himself. A QB can't do any of that. Peyton Manning didn't suck for one game against the 2013 Seahawks. He was overwhelmed. This doesn't happen to great pitchers. There is no comparison.
:hammer:100

blueblood70

Reaction score
He made mistakes and rushes too much when the pressure is on...no doubt about it, but they also put too much on his shoulders. Many call him a bus driver and he is closer to that, than he is to being elite. That said, the bus needs to be full and we have too many empty seats. DT, MLB, OL and RB seats are pretty much empty.
:hammer::popcorn:

1942willys

Reaction score
The Chiefs had Alex Smith whom you could argue was about equal to Dak
they chose to look for better
They threw the dice and hit the jackpot
I guess it comes down to how BADLY you want to win a SB
I notice all those wanting to stick with Dak are those more worried about relevancy than SB's
I would rather have a few years of mediocrity and then win it all then years of winning big in the regular season AND STINK IT UP IN THE PLAYOFFS

Now of course Dak while arguably the biggest SINGLE factor is certainly far from the only one
MM is I think a Very Good coach but not a great one; and sadly our chances of getting a great coach are slim because of Jerry's need to get so much of the credit
And maybe most of all the culture of the club is not geared towards going for the SB
Just like their owner its geared towards relevancy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mods need to kill this QB convo stuff
Any special reason why? You're talking about the most important position on the Dallas Cowboys. The highest profile position in professional sports. It's always been the hot topic in here with this team since Aikman retired. That won't change anytime soon.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then why are Brady Montana and arguably Mahomes considered the GOATS of the sport?
Then why are 9 out of 10 MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are 9 out of 10 Super Bowl MVPs Quarterbacks?
Then why are Quarterbacks paid at least twice as much as the next highest salary on the roster?

Quarterback is to winning in football as pitcher is winning in baseball. It's that important.
The 70's Cincinnati Reds, had pitcher Gary Nolan. Every time he pitched it seems this happened. I know it was not the case, just seems like it.

He would allow only 1 or 2 runs, but the team only scored 1 run. At least every time we went to a game that he was pitching, or was on TV. Back then not every game was televised.