Only If He Could Have Stayed Longer

scottsp

Reaction score
Ricky Blake comes to mind. Broke his hip in 1991 at TS vs. the Cardinals on the final play of the game. I thought that kid could've been a player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Show's you what I know. I thought his last pass was intercepted. Figured it had to be a Ram.

Almost the pass had been deflected and Scott caught the ball

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Ken Norton Jr.

YOU DA MAN Cowboyfan4life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to say the same guy... only you forgot to add lots of exclamation points... I hated to see the guy go... ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!! :banghead: :banghead:

When he left via the beginning of the present day unrestricted free agency, he took the attitude of that bada$$ Cowboy defense with him... We definately would have three peated with him behind our line... Whatever part of the field he was on, it was covered with him on it. He was also not one of those two twenty five or so tweener LBs either... He was an honest 240-245 lb backer too... Good choice again...

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Stank

Reaction score
You guys might laugh, but my pick would be Alvin Harper. That guy was on his way to building a productive career and a perfect compliment to Michael Irvin. Man, did I hate seeing him go.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As a #2 WR Harper did a very good job for Dallas and was a very good compliment to Irvin as you said. I would not laugh or disagree with you on Harper.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Mike Sherrard.

I remember a big game he had vs the Cards on Monday night in '86. Too brittle, ultimately.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Stank said:
You guys might laugh, but my pick would be Alvin Harper. That guy was on his way to building a productive career and a perfect compliment to Michael Irvin. Man, did I hate seeing him go.

Exactly the guy I was going to say. I think a large part of the Cowboys decline came when this guy decided to leave the team. It would have been the same had Pippen decided to leave Jordan.

Harper was the perfect compliment to Irvin, he was the speed guy who could make great catches while Irvin was the go across the middle and stretch the chains work horse guy. They could have easily gone on to form the greatest WR duo of the decade had Harper stayed.

wxcpo

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
i gotta tell ya darg - i have mucho respect for Troyboy. but if you put Roger's brain in Aikman's body... you'd have a supernatural QB.

Aikman's no dummy. this is patently obvious to anybody whose ever listened to his booth work. the fella knows his football. and so did Roger.

but more than all that - Roger was a born "leader of men". his influence on those around him was, is, and will likely always be, nothing short of remarkable.

as a player.... in my mind, Staubach is, far and away, the best leader the Dallas Cowboys have ever had.

In all fairness to Troy and everyone who comes along in the future I gotta say one thing. I think it was much easier for a QB to be a leader in the 70's and 80's then it is now a days. Players back then didn't have the huge salaries or the world wide media exposure they have now a days. That leads to huge egos and when you get a group of guys with equal talent levels (such as the triplets) with their huge egos and the media exposure those guys had then I don't think you're going to have a leader emerge. Although I think you knew that Troy was the leader of the Cowboys, he just didn't have the pocket presense that Roger had, but I don't think it's because he commanded any less respect from his fellow players. I just think it's a sign of the times.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Roger Staubach....simple.

We lost three Championship games in a row after he retired. You gotta believe, that Roger would have won at least one of those damn games!

He even said later, that he could have played a few more seasons.

69'-79'....11 seasons.

It just wasn't enuuuuuuufffffff!!!

:tantrum:

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Randy Hughes and Mike Sherrard are great choices, Hughes could have been MVP in that SB over the Broncos and Sherrard looked awesome at UCLA, if only he didn't keep breaking his leg, but I'll throw out Robert Shaw, a Center from Tenn we drafted with a #1 Pick or Mike Walter, A LB we drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, cut him in TC, he then went to SF and started on some of their SB teams. Hughes, I believe kept Seprating his Shoulder.

jem88

Reaction score
wxcpo said:
Exactly the guy I was going to say. I think a large part of the Cowboys decline came when this guy decided to leave the team. It would have been the same had Pippen decided to leave Jordan.

Harper was the perfect compliment to Irvin, he was the speed guy who could make great catches while Irvin was the go across the middle and stretch the chains work horse guy. They could have easily gone on to form the greatest WR duo of the decade had Harper stayed.
Agreed

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I forgot about Godfrey. I loved watching him play. If not for some injuries with other teams, I think his play would have been even better later in his career.

Isn't he in San Diego now?

Yea,he is one of my fav players!