Only If He Could Have Stayed Longer

50cent

Reaction score
After seeing the JD vidoes, I would go with Derek Ross. He was a INT waiting to happen!

Honorable Mention - Thomas Everett

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
50cent said:
After seeing the JD vidoes, I would go with Derek Ross. He was a INT waiting to happen!

Honorable Mention - Thomas Everett

Everett was the CONSUMATE safety... we need more like him!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I think people fugded some of the answers a little bit.

Players to keep a little longer.

1. Herschell Walker. I just loved everything about him. Think he could have been a HOFer is Minnesota hadn't ruined him. One of the best attitudes ever.

2. Mike Ditka. I wish he had never even been a Bear. Just a hardnosed real football player who was a jot to watch.

3. Duane Thomas. Tom Landry often wondered aloud how good he might have been. Tom Rarely gushed about players.

4. Alvin Harper. Complimented Irvin so well.

5. Jimmy Smith. Might have complimented Irvin so well.

6. Deion Sanders. Wish he had never had a stop in SF.

7. Steve Beuerlein. Probably my all time favorite backup QB.

8. Kevin Gogan. Would fight anyone.

9. Ray Donaldson. Similar to Ditka, wish he had never played anywhere else.

10. Joey Galloway. Most hated him. I always wished he had been used to his strengths and with Troy healthy. Oh well...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Irvin, Staubach, Novacek, Johnston, Hailey, Aikman and Woodson all come to mind first. Especially Irvin and Stabauch....

Nerm

Reaction score
Jimmy Smith by far. It may have been 5 or more Super Bowls with him in Dallas. Look what he did as the guy teams tried to stop on O. Now think about what he would have done as a WR who was never doubled. Plus, Dallas would have two more first round picks playing now because the Galloway trade would not have happened.

My second pick would be Ken Norton. He was an outstanding player and ended up playing for the team that stopped Dallas from winning 4 straight Super Bowls.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
How has noone mentioned Hollywood Henderson (the player, not the poster)? If not for the drug problems, he coulda been the first LT, before there was even an LT.

laythewood28

Reaction score
Antonio Bryant- amazing athlete. upset it didn't work out.
Derek Ross- Would have loved to see what he would have done with Newman opposite him.
Randall Godfrey-Jerry should have ponied up the cash

THE*LAW

Reaction score
Michael Irvin

Mark Stepnoski

Jimmy Smith

Brock Marion

Dixon Edwards

-Am I allowed to say Jimmy Johnson?...

Scotman

Reaction score
First one that came to my mind was Jimmy Smith.

But I hated Staubach going down. Everything posted here already about his leadership is absolutely true. For any of you younger folks who didn't see him live, you missed something special. Something I haven't seen again.

That team would've followed him into war......and won!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I liked Norton, but we did shell out a ton to him until he developed... he claimed to be a "true Cowboy"... but when the chips were down he bolted to our biggest rival...

I agree. Norton gets the finger from me for doing that.

Most of those free agent Cowboys back then had little loyalty once Jimmy Johnson left. Even James Washington left for the Commanders of all teams.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
laythewood28 said:
Derek Ross- Would have loved to see what he would have done with Newman opposite him.

Probably what he is doing now.

Flipping burgers at McDonalds.

ravidubey

Reaction score
If Jimmy Smith remained a Cowboy, he might not have become the player he eventually did. Recall he was cut, picked up by Philadelphia, and cut again!

He tried extra hard for the Jags realizing it was his last chance, and of course the Jags got Brunell and the rest is history.

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Interesting topic. I think people fugded some of the answers a little bit.

Players to keep a little longer.

1. Herschell Walker. I just loved everything about him. Think he could have been a HOFer is Minnesota hadn't ruined him. One of the best attitudes ever.

2. Mike Ditka. I wish he had never even been a Bear. Just a hardnosed real football player who was a jot to watch.

3. Duane Thomas. Tom Landry often wondered aloud how good he might have been. Tom Rarely gushed about players.

4. Alvin Harper. Complimented Irvin so well.

5. Jimmy Smith. Might have complimented Irvin so well.

6. Deion Sanders. Wish he had never had a stop in SF.

7. Steve Beuerlein. Probably my all time favorite backup QB.

8. Kevin Gogan. Would fight anyone.

9. Ray Donaldson. Similar to Ditka, wish he had never played anywhere else.

10. Joey Galloway. Most hated him. I always wished he had been used to his strengths and with Troy healthy. Oh well...
Ok Hos, your going to have to cut that out. I totally agree. Especially with your points on Walker, Smith and Galloway.

IMO, Walker is the epitome of just how a coach, or a scheme can derail a hall of fame career.

It's sick that Eddie George probably has an outside chance to make it into the HOF, but Walker has absolutely no shot.

IMO, it is all because Walker spent those years in Minnesota, where he was not allowed to play to his strengths.