Only If He Could Have Stayed Longer

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Ken Norton Jr.
:signmast:

I would also say Hollywood Henderson, Randy Hughes, plus all the main players which had careers cut somewhat short like Starbach, Aikman, Irvin, Novacek.........

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I forgot about Godfrey. I loved watching him play. If not for some injuries with other teams, I think his play would have been even better later in his career.

Isn't he in San Diego now?

cannonball44

Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager
Reaction score
Derek Ross, AB, Irvin, Rocket(I really started to like this guy)*tear* part of the reason I subconciously don't like Dat.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I noticed no one has said Ron Stone's name he was drfated and developed by the Cowboys played some solid football then left FA to Blossom into a pro-bowl guard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Duane Thomas was as gifted a runner as I've ever seen in the NFL. When he wanted to, he could do it all. It is unfortunate we could never get his head right. That guy was an unbelievable talent.

Another guy that comes to mind is Mike Sherrard. This guy was showing signs of being a Star in his rookie season before injury. After that injury, seems like he just couldn't get back on the field. Kept breaking that damned leg. After that, he got moved and he was just never the same. I always wonder how good he could have been had he not gotten hurt. Really a freak injury too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jay cee said:
Ok Hos, your going to have to cut that out. I totally agree. Especially with your points on Walker, Smith and Galloway.

IMO, Walker is the epitome of just how a coach, or a scheme can derail a hall of fame career.

It's sick that Eddie George probably has an outside chance to make it into the HOF, but Walker has absolutely no shot.

IMO, it is all because Walker spent those years in Minnesota, where he was not allowed to play to his strengths.

Play to his strengths, hell he just wasn't given the ball in Minnesota. I know Landry was a genius and Walker had his best years in Dallas. That is obvious, but how hard was it for Minnesota not to just get the ball in Walkers hands as many times as you can in a game? Why make such a big trade and not utilize the guy?

Hollywood Henderson and Jimmy Smith are the big ones on the list. We just don't know if Smith could have turned his career if he stayed a Cowboy, but oh if he did. I kept pulling for Jimmy the whole time he was in Dallas, but those damn injuries kept hampering him.

I will add Mike Sherrard. He had a very good rookie season, but then broke his leq in training camp the next year and then again running on the beach. With him on the outside, Walker could have had even more room to run his years in Dallas. Add Michael Irvin and that is some offense. Only, Peuller would have been the one throwing the ball. Yikes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Next_years_Champs said:
:signmast:

I would also say Hollywood Henderson, Randy Hughes, plus all the main players which had careers cut somewhat short like Starbach, Aikman, Irvin, Novacek.........

Randy Hughes was a player. Ask anyone who knows Charlie.

Billy Cannon was going to be a star as well. Those were two tough losses
Dallas took losing them. Hughes would have missed a year now although I suspect Cannon still could never play again.

Henderson might not have been quite the player LT was but he wasn't far behind. Too bad. There's a message for kids and I'm glad Hollywood not only turned it around but passes that message on.

And as someone said, I pine at times for them all and all the days from then to now.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Tom Landry. I know he didn't suit up for Dallas but he was still a Key player for Dallas. I still dislike, very much, the way he was "ousted" in my opinion. He had some years left for me to enjoy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I am curious as to why a lot of people answered Staubach. He is one of my all time favorites and also one of the all time greats, but he was what 37 or 38 when he retired. How much longer is a qb that age expected to stay? Dallas got the most out of him and he got the most out of himself. He was a great competitor. If he could have kept playing, he would have.

Just think what he could have done if he did not have to miss his first 4 years due to his military obligations. Of course, he wouldn't have been a Cowboy if that happened.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I am curious as to why a lot of people answered Staubach. He is one of my all time favorites and also one of the all time greats, but he was what 37 or 38 when he retired. How much longer is a qb that age expected to stay? Dallas got the most out of him and he got the most out of himself. He was a great competitor. If he could have kept playing, he would have.

Just think what he could have done if he did not have to miss his first 4 years due to his military obligations. Of course, he wouldn't have been a Cowboy if that happened.

One reason is Rogers last season his 3rd best season rating wise and threw 27 TD which was his higest total in the NFL. It was not as if his play was going down hill. But doctors felt it was in his best interest to retire due to concussions

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:

I kind of agree with you. While I wished he could have played longer, I appriciated the fact that he played for us as long as he did.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
joseephuss said:

Roger was still in his prime when he retired. He had his best pro season in his final year.

I don't have any regrets that he retired when he did, even though I am sure if he was our QB instead of Danny White, we may have made the Super Bowl in 1980 or even 1981.

He had suffered way too many concussions and I am sure as competitive as he was, he did not want to leave but did so at the top of his game. It was nothing pathetic like we are seeing out of Jerry Rice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Roger was still in his prime when he retired. He had his best pro season in his final year.

I don't have any regrets that he retired when he did, even though I am sure if he was our QB instead of Danny White, we may have made the Super Bowl in 1980 or even 1981.

He had suffered way too many concussions and I am sure as competitive as he was, he did not want to leave but did so at the top of his game. It was nothing pathetic like we are seeing out of Jerry Rice.

Do you remember who caught Rogers last pass in the NFL?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Bingo!!! Not many remember that

Show's you what I know. I thought his last pass was intercepted. Figured it had to be a Ram.