Operation Catnip

waldoputty

Reaction score
Thanks for all who provided advice for the rat problem
Having considered the upside and risk, I have decided to lure some wild cats to my house on a 0.75 acre lot.
Just picked up catnip, catfood and sardines - a small $16 investment - for a shot to address the rat problem.

In case I have unwanted cats, is anyone in the SF bay area with big nasty dogs that I can rent?

Plan:
Thursday night arrival to SF house - use catfood and sardines spaced 20 feet apart on the driveway to lure cats up to my house. hopefully after their meal, they will smell the rat(s) and wait around for their dessert.
At the same time, will set several peanut snap traps along the outwall around the house.

Friday night: after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardine.

Saturday afternoon - after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardines. Will use catnip next to the house with cat food and sardines. Then leave for LA again.

Will advise everyone of the good news or disaster.
Thanks again for all the advice!

https://lh4.***BROKEN***/OAMDHaoQfDYctXEj3OGO_DMKw2kIUFBZl0hV7YCAmdUMPjwOGKz_44g6-uC0g_ombMTjzjQMjxYBOIZYaMbL_D3QjEOXSMa6teVDeQAmlBx-jNFzN8V8BS0s6x5P53BswtBuOVld

https://lh6.***BROKEN***/t1D_hZGKve1uFpfv7XhB5vdZJPkkJF9eZ85WtlmRCQ74WRHaxmepbuckxMpWdTwjTsIAtxlNZUXczQ7VJOiZiCPX9nlu91ttfTZd4VikbziuW1bRAYQkx5Ba7XIAbjJ_LWPvyfDj

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/IIpAbly7cZS2UzdRjm0nAYMgs_0_BviLFgD3d6jzxMt3nCtr8buBfyc9YtWLX2Dz9_7wJpnR69WdWXdpQGGnGUp_NP5yFTP2KqrildsNNWm_qLhVTD9rQ5tCPWt7lufPA3cMXdHu

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for all who provided advice for the rat problem
Having considered the upside and risk, I have decided to lure some wild cats to my house on a 0.75 acre lot.
Just picked up catnip, catfood and sardines - a small $16 investment - for a shot to address the rat problem.

In case I have unwanted cats, is anyone in the SF bay area with big nasty dogs that I can rent?

Plan:
Thursday night arrival to SF house - use catfood and sardines spaced 20 feet apart on the driveway to lure cats up to my house. hopefully after their meal, they will smell the rat(s) and wait around for their dessert.
At the same time, will set several peanut snap traps along the outwall around the house.

Friday night: after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardine.

Saturday afternoon - after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardines. Will use catnip next to the house with cat food and sardines. Then leave for LA again.

Will advise everyone of the good news or disaster.
Thanks again for all the advice!

https://lh4.***BROKEN***/OAMDHaoQfDYctXEj3OGO_DMKw2kIUFBZl0hV7YCAmdUMPjwOGKz_44g6-uC0g_ombMTjzjQMjxYBOIZYaMbL_D3QjEOXSMa6teVDeQAmlBx-jNFzN8V8BS0s6x5P53BswtBuOVld

https://lh6.***BROKEN***/t1D_hZGKve1uFpfv7XhB5vdZJPkkJF9eZ85WtlmRCQ74WRHaxmepbuckxMpWdTwjTsIAtxlNZUXczQ7VJOiZiCPX9nlu91ttfTZd4VikbziuW1bRAYQkx5Ba7XIAbjJ_LWPvyfDj

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/IIpAbly7cZS2UzdRjm0nAYMgs_0_BviLFgD3d6jzxMt3nCtr8buBfyc9YtWLX2Dz9_7wJpnR69WdWXdpQGGnGUp_NP5yFTP2KqrildsNNWm_qLhVTD9rQ5tCPWt7lufPA3cMXdHu
Don't forget the night vision goggles. Lol

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
You really should invest in a couple dozen of those plastic kiddie wading pools and fill them up about 3/4 full with water,Putty! And wait a couple months cuz it's my understanding that rats really don't like living in a heavily mosquito-infested area,don't sweat it over the feral cats being bothered by them as it's also of my understanding that their not, and actually prefer to burrow under those plastic kiddie pools 3/4 full of water to make their birthing dens as the cool water filled dens roof is conducive in feral cat breeding,,, happy hunting and good luck !

Reaction score
I'm pulling for ya, best of luck :)

petcoscoop-dot-com.jpg

waldoputty

Reaction score
You really should invest in a couple dozen of those plastic kiddie wading pools and fill them up about 3/4 full with water,Putty! And wait a couple months cuz it's my understanding that rats really don't like living in a heavily mosquito-infested area,don't sweat it over the feral cats being bothered by them as it's also of my understanding that their not, and actually prefer to burrow under those plastic kiddie pools 3/4 full of water to make their birthing dens as the cool water filled dens roof is conducive in feral cat breeding,,, happy hunting and good luck !

interesting idea. however, the county inspects my property once a month for mosquitoes. that is because i have a green pool that i cannot take care of while i am out of town so much.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Stay away from the hard cat food by Purina that comes in the blue bags. Here's a list of the critters that have been observed eating that stuff at my house:

Cats
Raccoons
Possums
Foxes
Dogs (not at my house)

Blue Jays
Brown Thrashers
Grackles

Turtles
Snails
Fire Ants

and probably some things that are microscopic, but I can't see them to identify them. :eek:

Consider yourself warned. :D

waldoputty

Reaction score
Stay away from the hard cat food by Purina that comes in the blue bags. Here's a list of the critters that have been observed eating that stuff at my house:

Cats
Raccoons
Possums
Foxes
Dogs (not at my house)

Blue Jays
Brown Thrashers
Grackles

Turtles
Snails
Fire Ants

and probably some things that are microscopic, but I can't see them to identify them. :eek:

Consider yourself warned. :D

ok bro
thanks.
i have seen a fox once.
not many dogs running around at all.
i have seen cats running round.
surprising few coons or possums - guess i will find out
plenty of snails
turtles - n
no reports of fire ants in my county

blue jays - yes
woodpeckers - absolutely yes

this will start Thursday night ... keeping fingers crossed.