Opinion: Cowboys won’t be drafting a WR

rambo2

Reaction score
Don’t expect a WR to be drafted in the first 4 rounds or at all this year.

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.
They can improve the team by drafting a receiver. Marvin Mims from Oklahoma is visiting the Cowboys. I would also keep an eye on Cedric Tillman from Tennesse, Bryce Ford-Wheaton from West Virginia, and A. T. Perry from Wake Forest.

I really like Bryce Ford-Weaton. I think that he would be a perfect fit for the Cowboys and would push Gallup and make the rest of the guys depth fighting to make the roster. Drafting 1 of these guys makes the team stronger. They need a big fast recevier. Ford-Weaton is your man. Check out his combine and highlights.

btcutter

Reaction score
How many receivers do you folks see Dallas carrying this year, it's either 5 or 6 and I don't see them carrying 6 as it stands right now,
As it stands right now for the season
Ceedee
Gallop
Cooks
Tolbert
Fehoko

K/p returner - Turpin

Also in the running to compete for a roster spot - Drummond, Calloway, Houston,Smith

Now I don't have a problem drafting a receiver if that guy is leaps and bounds higher on your board than anyone else ala what happened a couple of years ago when Lamb fell down the board and into their lap but receiver isn't a pressing need on this team after the trade for Cooks when you have Tolbert entering his second year and Fehoko entering his third...
Well put. Much better than I did.

Unless someone falls to amazing value this team just has too many other needs.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
All true, but I wouldn't be sure that Tolbert and especially Fehoko are locks for the roster at all. If a 1st round receiver that you like falls in your lap it shouldn't be an issue at all to get them on the roster.
Tolbert is a lock this and next year. Imo. dallas never gives up on draft picks early

btcutter

Reaction score
Unless the value is exceptional this team has too many other needs. They still believ Tobert can develop.

Ceedee, Cook, Gallup, Tobert, Fehoko…. Turpin. How many WRs is this team going to carry?

We have immediate needs at DT, G, LB, RB, CB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's seldom too much talent to consider in camp. Whether it's a WR or other needs, it's wise to have multiple talents to pick from.

Last edited:

btcutter

Reaction score
Gallup will not be cut they just restructured, and he is owed 19mil maybe for 24..hes ours for 2 seasons..but i agree i think the OP is wrong and if top wr is BPA they will snag him up..they made these moves so BPA at al positions is an easy selection. but why all the wr posts getting old

we are already better off going into game 1 for this season then we were last year BY far..CD learned to be #1, gallup full camp healed more, and cooks ..last year cd first time #1, no Gallup, Brown as the #2.
This WR class is fairly weak. Even the top 3 guys have plenty of warts. I really don’t expect them to be take by Dallas Even if they fallas. The only WR in the 1st who Dallas may really consider if he falls is kid from Ohio State. I can’t see Dallas drafting Flowers or Addison. Neither have size or speed that Dallas typically wants.

btcutter

Reaction score
In other words, draft for need. Board be damned.
Once you are out of top 30 players or so player grades are very subjective and probably rated pretty close. It’s rare a case like Witten with 1sr round grade falls to 3rd.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once you are out of top 30 players or so player grades are very subjective and probably rated pretty close. It’s rare a case like Witten with 1sr round grade falls to 3rd.
Yeah they have players ranked in the 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round and so on. Stick to the board and draft accordingly.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In other words, draft for need. Board be damned.
Exactly.

If Flowers or Johnston are there I'm taking one and getting ready for Lambs contract.

Maybe even JSN.

And to have the best WRs in the NFL.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Who really knows. It seemed obvious that a pass rusher was the priority in 2020 and no way they go WR with Cooper and Gallup on the roster. The guy they wanted was ever sitting there at #17, but CeeDee fell into their laps and they went with him.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is possible that both Cooks and Gallup could be gone next year. If a WR is the best player on the board when they pick I wouldnt rule it out.
It would be smart to set up the future.

You can go back to offensive line next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think there's a plentiful supply of TEs to make up for the lack of elite WRs to be had in the upcoming draft.

As the saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat." Some are able to compete with WRs nicely.

btcutter

Reaction score
I think there's a plentiful supply of TEs to make up for the lack of elite WRs to be had in the upcoming draft.

As the saying goes, "there's more than one way to skin a cat." Some are able to compete with WRs nicely.
I believe they’ll take a TE before a WR.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tolbert is a lock this and next year. Imo. dallas never gives up on draft picks early
why should they??

Austin came into his own year 3 as others did as well. anyone know who Laurent was ? no but tunred into nice depth payer at WR... some guys need development, not instant nfl success. Heck, they turned Brown into a solid wr and st player.., Cedrick Wilson was not a year 1 star, got better each season. fans thinking players are coming into the nfl pro ready are the reason these expectations are being set. hes 3rd rounder not 1st and sometimes it takes some time,

btcutter

Reaction score
Yeah they have players ranked in the 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round and so on. Stick to the board and draft accordingly.
Of course they do. But if the grades are close you better believe they will take a player at position of need.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ceedee
Gallop
Cooks
Tolbert
Fehoko

K/p returner - Turpin

Also in the running to compete for a roster spot - Drummond, Calloway, Houston,Smith
I can see them drafting a slot WR/punt return guy to supplant Turpin.

On the backend of the WR group I like Drummond n Houston's skill set better in a WCO and I just like them better than Tolbert n Fehoko.

Brandon Smith left to go play XFL, I believe. Anyways I liked this post Quest 6.

MikeT22

Reaction score
How many receivers do you folks see Dallas carrying this year, it's either 5 or 6 and I don't see them carrying 6 as it stands right now,
As it stands right now for the season
Ceedee
Gallop
Cooks
Tolbert
Fehoko

K/p returner - Turpin

So as it stands now we have 3 NFL WR’s

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
With the signing of Cooks, WR went from being a position we needed to draft high to one that we can draft, but don't need to, and we especially don't need to reach.

mrcowboys40

Reaction score
Don’t expect a WR to be drafted in the first 4 rounds or at all this year.

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.
I predict the cowboys draft wr in the 4th round this year