Opinion: Cowboys won’t be drafting a WR

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unless the value is exceptional this team has too many other needs. They still believ Tobert can develop.

Ceedee, Cook, Gallup, Tobert, Fehoko…. Turpin. How many WRs is this team going to carry?

We have immediate needs at DT, G, LB, RB, CB.
as long as you include that, I'm fine

Not to mention that at a position where you sometimes have 4 guys out there at one time, and where you have one guy coming up for a monster contract, another guy who might only be here a year, and another who still has to prove he will get back to old self after injury.....you can't rule entirely out the position for most of the draft.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All true, but I wouldn't be sure that Tolbert and especially Fehoko are locks for the roster at all.
No way they are cutting Tolbert.

Fehoko is depends on their plans. Is he a TE or WR? They need to stop screwing around and find him a position and see if he can play in this league or not.

exciter

Reaction score
Don’t expect a WR to be drafted in the first 4 rounds or at all this year.

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.
Right, it’s much more likely teams over draft receivers from this class than it is one is clearly the BPA by the time we pick!

exciter

Reaction score

Fehoko is depends on their plans. Is he a TE or WR? They need to stop screwing around and find him a position and see if he can play in this league or not.
He’s the cheaper blocking receiver replacement for Brown… never been in question!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Why not? I mean my hope is that he has a good enough camp to where he isn't cuttable, but a 2nd year 3rd round pick who struggled to even be active on gameday at a thin position shouldn't just be penciled in for a roster spot by March. I think he needs to show something this year.

ESisback

Reaction score
This ENDLESS speculation is driving me nuts! And we STILL have over a month to go! Plus, no matter what we do, people will freak out about our terrible choices! High comedy!

Davidlee1973

Reaction score

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.
Wide receivers today are like running backs in the 1980’s. You can never have enough of them.

Sydla

Reaction score
If someone like the osu dude fall to us I could see them taking him like we did with Lamb
To be the 4th WR?

Cowboys always say their top picks need to be immediate impact guys.

Drafting a kid who would be 4th strong and not be on field much would seem to run counter to that.

ghst187

Reaction score

I agree, I don’t think there’s room on the rotation for another WR unless we have completely given up on Tolbert and Semi.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
OK, someone fill me in. I thought that every team effectively uses a tier system for drafting. When their pick comes around, they draft a guy who is in their top available tier of a position of need. If Dallas (for example) is on the clock and they have a WR rated at 4.97 and a DT rated at 4.95, they will take the DT but if a WR falls that is a 5.5 and he is clearly the best player they will take him regardless of need.

The old days of teams reaching down to fill a need are gone. If some team does take a guy that looks like a reach, its more likely that they had him rated much higher than other people.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
To be the 4th WR?

Cowboys always say their top picks need to be immediate impact guys.

Drafting a kid who would be 4th strong and not be on field much would seem to run counter to that.
I mean it's not like we haven't done it before we drafted Dez first round and he was a kick returner and was the 4th wr behind Austin, Roy Williams, and Crayton. Gallup has a contract we can get out of and Cooks is basically a 1 or 2 year deal.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they do. But if the grades are close you better believe they will take a player at position of need.
Sure but that's not what you said. You moved the goal posts.

You said the Cowboys won't be taking a WR in the first 4 rounds because of current roster make up.

I say they will if the board tells them to.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the OP, just don't see the value. The Cowboys might draft a developmental prospect, just not anyone who is going to be a major contributor this season.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Obviously the team shouldn't stretch for players, but need always has to be a factor for teams in the draft. Sure a player that is too good to pass up might sometimes be on the board (that was the story the team gave with Cee Dee Lamb), but if the talent level isn't dramatically different a slightly lesser player that will provide an immediate upgrade at a position is going to be more important than a slightly better player that will be #3 on the depth chart.
EVERY team one way or another drafts for need.

Now the well run teams only take need when its a tie breaker between equal quality players at that particular draft position

Now of course if someone really good falls you have to look long and hard.

Remember when Claiborne fell to us and we grabbed him? we had not talked to him or did a background check on him because no one thought he would fall to the Boys
THAT should have sent off warning bells right there but Jerry likes his shiny toys

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score

Just draft good players.

It's really not that hard, if u don't overthink it

WR is a premier position in this day and age.... not up there with OT, QB, or pass rusher.... but rigjt there with cornerback.

If a good wr is there, just draft him.