Opinion: If Garrett is not extended, Linehan stays

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We all know 2019 is the last year of Jason and Linehan deals. Many fans are accepting the fact Jerry will let Jason play out his contract but fire Linehan at end of the season. Not that simple......many questions. The biggest challenge is not only finding his replacement but one willing run a variation of Garrett's offensive scheme.

***Finding his replacement will be harder than many may think. I guessing Jerry would be hard pressed to find an up and coming ( or vet) offensive coor or QB coach willing to sign a one year contract or work for a lame duck head coach w/o a multi-year deal. Any coach will confess coaching is everything to him but in the same breath, he will also tell his security means just as much. Security to a coach is not so as money as is contract duration/years.

***Even if Jerry target two or three assistants as his replacement, it highly unlikely he get a chance to interview any unless the contracts with their current team are expiring. That leaves only option the pool of candidates to target. Ones sitting on the sideline coz they were just fired or recently fired ( within the year ) or ones with expiring contracts. Again even with these coaches, where you think a lame duck head coaching offer sits on their priority list for a job.

*** What about the next OC scheme? Will favor a base 3-wide receiver scheme? Different blocking scheme? Just two or three years ago ( not sure which) other than Seahawks, were the only team that had more run plays than pass. Remember we are built as a run-first team. Any offensive coordinator trying to change that neutralize our strength such as OL and Zeke.

Know many are hoping a new OC can correct a number of Daks' technical issues. I don't have an answer for that but I do think a few these issues Dak can work through himself. Bottom line, don't be surprised if Jerry finds it's much easier to keep Linehan until end of his deal and decide what to do about he and Jason both at the end 2019.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know 2019 is the last year of Jason and Linehan deals. Many fans are accepting the fact Jerry will let Jason play out his contract but fire Linehan at end of the season. Not that simple......many questions. The biggest challenge is not only finding his replacement but one willing run a variation of Garrett's offensive scheme.

***Finding his replacement will be harder than many may think. I guessing Jerry would be hard pressed to find an up and coming ( or vet) offensive coor or QB coach willing to sign a one year contract or work for a lame duck head coach w/o a multi-year deal. Any coach will confess coaching is everything to him but in the same breath, he will also tell his security means just as much. Security to a coach is not so as money as is contract duration/years.

***Even if Jerry target two or three assistants as his replacement, it highly unlikely he get a chance to interview any unless the contracts with their current team are expiring. That leaves only option the pool of candidates to target. Ones sitting on the sideline coz they were just fired or recently fired ( within the year ) or ones with expiring contracts. Again even with these coaches, where you think a lame duck head coaching offer sits on their priority list for a job.

*** What about the next OC scheme? Will favor a base 3-wide receiver scheme? Different blocking scheme? Just two or three years ago ( not sure which) other than Seahawks, were the only team that had more run plays than pass. Remember we are built as a run-first team. Any offensive coordinator trying to change that neutralize our strength such as OL and Zeke.

Know many are hoping a new OC can correct a number of Daks' technical issues. I don't have an answer for that but I do think a few these issues Dak can work through himself. Bottom line, don't be surprised if Jerry finds it's much easier to keep Linehan until end of his deal and decide what to do about he and Jason both at the end 2019.

I respectfully but completely disagree. Garrett might survive, but the guy coaching the 30th ranked red zone offense is a goner. Jerry Jones, along with everyone else in this world knows that these players are good and this scheme sucks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I respectfully but completely disagree. Garrett might survive, but the guy coaching the 30th ranked red zone offense is a goner. Jerry Jones, along with everyone else in this world knows that these players are good and this scheme sucks.

Who and how you replace him with a QUALITY OC for a lame duck head coach? I know if it's me, working a for a head coach with only a year left that the owner is refusing to extend is last on my list.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who and how you replace him with a QUALITY OC for a lame duck head coach? I know if it's me, working a for a head coach with only a year left that the owner is refusing to extend is last on my list.

If Garrett returns, it won't be as a "lame duck head coach". So for starters, I think your initial premise is completely wrong.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn’t this the last year on Linehan and Marinelli deals?
And Garrett has two years left?

I see no reason why they can’t bring in a new OC. And everyone said this is Garrett’s scheme. But it is also Linehan as they ran the similar style but this is more Scott’s than Jason’s now.

It needs an overhaul. I can’t see then keeping him unless they win the SB.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m betting JG is extended and I’m hoping little Scotty is gone
But who knows what jerry is thinking
Maybe he should seek Dak and cooper opinion

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see no reason why they can’t bring in a new OC. And everyone said this is Garrett’s scheme. But it is also Linehan as they ran the similar style but this is more Scott’s than Jason’s now.

And I certainly can't see Garrett screwing up his own extension by drawing a line on the sand over Linehan and the offense. There's no denying it's been this team's weakest component all year, and dating back to last season. That's not a hill Garrett will be willing to die on.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Garrett returns, it won't be as a "lame duck head coach". So for starters, I think your initial premise is completely wrong.[/QUOT

Are you implying JJ is going to extend him 2019? If he's extended, I agree.........finding a new OC shouldn't be an issue.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Garrett, Linehan and Martinelli contracts expire end of 2019

conner01

Reaction score

I think all run through 2019

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would a new HC keep linehan? If you are firing Garrett you are also firing Linehan so your new HC can bring in his own people. Throw Moore in there too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, that's where I'm at. I've never been the biggest Garrett fan, but even I can see and give him credit for how he's turned this thing completely around. Unless there's some crazy tank job these last three games, he's getting extended, and deservedly so I'd have to say.

But one of the conditions on that return will undoubtedly be a change of this offensive coordinator. I can't help but to think that Jones will insist upon it.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It will likely be like all the other coaching hires..............

Jerry: Hey Jason, I hired you another OC......now, make it work.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Thank you. Blood vessels have popped. My eyes are red...
Thank you for that.

Of all the things to type... you had to go there.

I am...
I'm just going to shut up now.

MMMMMM!!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bottom line, don't be surprised if Jerry finds it's much easier to keep Linehan until end of his deal and decide what to do about he and Jason both at the end 2019.

Clown team.

Linehan is the number one problem with the team. If Garrett can't find an OC to coach his scheme, that should be a hint to Jerry about what the league thinks of the team. If you're not going to dump Garrett even though coaches aren't willing to coach his offense, make Garrett coach his offense.

Linehan has been a disaster. I'll take Garrett over him. Moore. Dak can call his own plays. Though from the sound of it, maybe that should be Cooper, who is *already* dissing Linehan.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why would a new HC keep linehan? If you are firing Garrett you are also firing Linehan so your new HC can bring in his own people. Throw Moore in there too.

Think you misunderstood......the thread's implying how difficult it may be to find a quality OC if you fire Linehan 2019 and keep Garrett w/o an extension.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I disagree. Linehan is only employed because Garrett is here. If Garrett goes then Linehan is released too. Linehan will not outlast Garrett here. And for those that think this run will save his job......go ask Rob Ryan about that. He was released despite his unit overachieving.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t see any way Linehan stays unless they bring in a pass game coordinator and let him call runs or something.

The offense is too talent dependent and the times we actually take a step back after a play and say what a playcall is few and far between.