Opinion on an interview suit.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
What's folk's opinion on an interview suit? Is it a bit much to go with a three button like this one:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...49407_-1_10558_BLACK SOLID_10051_?cm_vc=40159

or stay with a more traditional two button front, lower lapel?

I've found a few really nice vested suits for under $500, but I'd look like the dweeb in Iron Man 2 wearing one. I've been advised by a HR person in a massive insurance firm to buy at least two in case your second interview ends up with someone who you might have run into during the first. He said it doesn't happen often at all, but it's kind of a running joke that they'll find a good employee coming out of college with nothing but a diploma, loan debt, and the suit they interviewed in.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not a suit person but I see nothing wrong with the suit you linked to. Looks nice and classic.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
It will be fine as an interview suit as some pointed out it has a classic look to it. Good Luck

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
Interview suits, should be black or navy and have no stripes. If the job requires you to wear a suit for the interview, it most likely requires a second interview, stripes are noticable/memorable. If you don't have stripes, you can just change the shirt and tie and its like a whole new suit. So yes, that's a good option.

If you want to go a little deeper, I'd recommend two-button or a three-button based on the company/industry. If you're going on a interview for a job in the financial industry then three-button. If the job is a little more creative, I would go with a two-button.

But, overall, as long as it fits well, that's a nice interview suit.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Number82;3767033 said:
Interview suits, should be black or navy and have no stripes. If the job requires you to wear a suit for the interview, it most likely requires a second interview, stripes are noticable/memorable. If you don't have stripes, you can just change the shirt and tie and its like a whole new suit. So yes, that's a good option.

If you want to go a little deeper, I'd recommend two-button or a three-button based on the company/industry. If you're going on a interview for a job in the financial industry then three-button. If the job is a little more creative, I would go with a two-button.

But, overall, as long as it fits well, that's a nice interview suit.

I would go with this, minus the two-button stuff.

I think two-button jackets are busch league...only time someone should have two buttons is on a sport coat or blazer, i.e. "business casual," nights on the town, dinner out, etc. Three-button suits = professionalism.

Go with a black, navy, or charcoal three button suit with cuffed pants with a single break. No cuff/no break is a trendy thing happening now, but you're not some wannabe quasi-european. Stripes are okay, but you want them to be subtle if you're going to wear stripes. An eye-catching, yet simple tie is also a good idea. Don't wash out the suit by wearing a tie the same color as the suit...this isn't a tuxedo affair.

In short, the suit that you picked out is excellent. :) Good luck! If there's a second interview, come back with something a bit more daring...the lighter grey suit in the "suggestions" box below would be a good look. It shows them that you mean business, yet you also have a good sense of style and won't be wearing the same dark suit to work every day. There's nothing I hate more than seeing politicians/business men wearing cookie-cutter navy or black suits with the same hideous ties over and over and over. Washington DC is full of them too :(

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had three interview suits when I graduated. Obviously the woman kind. I had a Black, Navy, and Beige.

After a few years and because of the field I was in, I no longer wore them. Just nice pants and a dress shirt. That's about it.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
That's a nice suit.

If you mix up the shirt and tie, I don't think anyone would really notice/care if you wore the same suit to a second interview.

What kind of job are you interviewing for?

This thread reminds me I need a new suit. None of my current ones fit me well anymore... they must have shrunk in dry-cleaning or something. :p:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
1. Do NOT get a black suit. Men do not wear black suits unless it's a funeral or the like. Get a navy or a charcoal suit. Pinstripes are fine as long as they're subtle. If you don't know what a subtle pinstripe is, err on the side of no pattern on the suit.

2. If you're willing to spend $500, go ahead and step up to Jos. A Bank. They have a decent quality/cost ratio at that price range and are a league above Mens Wearhouse. Hit them up now during their end of year sale.

3. Unless you're 6'2"+, do NOT go with a 3-button.

4. At no point do you ever wear a double breasted suit. Or a 3-piece.

These aren't debatable guidelines. These are must abide by rules. Also, you must buy good dress shoes. Do NOT buy shoes with a thick rubber sole. If there's anything you listen to, listen to this: do NOT buy shoes with rubber soles. You don't wear rubber-soled shoes with a suit. I have no idea why anyone would think that's acceptable. If you have a navy suit, wear dark brown shoes. If you have a grey suit, wear black shoes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Get this shirt and a pair of chartreuse hightops and be done with it.

http://i648.***BLOCKED***/albums/uu202/NamenlosV/SuitShirt2.jpg

Dunk-SB-High-Women-1023_1.jpg

btw, make sure the hightops have rubber soles. ;)

visionary

Reaction score
theogt;3767282 said:
1. Do NOT get a black suit. Men do not wear black suits unless it's a funeral or the like. Get a navy or a charcoal suit. Pinstripes are fine as long as they're subtle. If you don't know what a subtle pinstripe is, err on the side of no pattern on the suit.

2. If you're willing to spend $500, go ahead and step up to Jos. A Bank. They have a decent quality/cost ratio at that price range and are a league above Mens Wearhouse. Hit them up now during their end of year sale.

These aren't debatable guidelines. These are must abide by rules. Also, you must buy good dress shoes. Do NOT buy shoes with a thick rubber sole. If there's anything you listen to, listen to this: do NOT buy shoes with rubber soles. You don't wear rubber-soled shoes with a suit. I have no idea why anyone would think that's acceptable. If you have a navy suit, wear dark brown shoes. If you have a grey suit, wear black shoes.

take this to the bank
ignore the other posts in this thread ( i am serious)

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;3767282 said:

I think the over the top way the announcer on their commercials extends every syllable would make me not want to shop there. I'm petty like that though. :D

Joseph

AAAAAAAAA

Baaaaaaaank

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
nyc;3767319 said:
Get this shirt and a pair of chartreuse hightops and be done with it.

http://i648.***BLOCKED***/albums/uu202/NamenlosV/SuitShirt2.jpg

btw, make sure the hightops have rubber soles. ;)

Nice kicks, but needs more "oomph"
nike-dunk-high-pro-sb-.jpg

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3766789 said:
What's folk's opinion on an interview suit? Is it a bit much to go with a three button like this one:

http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp...49407_-1_10558_BLACK SOLID_10051_?cm_vc=40159

or stay with a more traditional two button front, lower lapel?

I've found a few really nice vested suits for under $500, but I'd look like the dweeb in Iron Man 2 wearing one. I've been advised by a HR person in a massive insurance firm to buy at least two in case your second interview ends up with someone who you might have run into during the first. He said it doesn't happen often at all, but it's kind of a running joke that they'll find a good employee coming out of college with nothing but a diploma, loan debt, and the suit they interviewed in.

The suit you linked to is nice.

I interview all the time. I use the same suit but have have multiple ties and shirts to wear. However, if you feel like spending the money, there's nothing wrong with buying an extra suit.

Once I lose some more weight, I plan on buying another suit and I will go to MW.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theogt;3767282 said:

Oops, didn't see Theo's post.

Forget what I said and go with the Lawyer :laugh2: .

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
casmith07;3767081 said:
I would go with this, minus the two-button stuff.

I think two-button jackets are busch league...only time someone should have two buttons is on a sport coat or blazer, i.e. "business casual," nights on the town, dinner out, etc. Three-button suits = professionalism.

Go with a black, navy, or charcoal three button suit with cuffed pants with a single break. No cuff/no break is a trendy thing happening now, but you're not some wannabe quasi-european. Stripes are okay, but you want them to be subtle if you're going to wear stripes. An eye-catching, yet simple tie is also a good idea. Don't wash out the suit by wearing a tie the same color as the suit...this isn't a tuxedo affair.

In short, the suit that you picked out is excellent. :) Good luck! If there's a second interview, come back with something a bit more daring...the lighter grey suit in the "suggestions" box below would be a good look. It shows them that you mean business, yet you also have a good sense of style and won't be wearing the same dark suit to work every day. There's nothing I hate more than seeing politicians/business men wearing cookie-cutter navy or black suits with the same hideous ties over and over and over. Washington DC is full of them too :(

Not sure where you get the 2 button is bush league view. That is the new style. I have both 2 and 3 button, neither looks more professional than the other, that is just the way it is.

As for the pants, I prefer cuff but no cuff is in, mostly because pants now usually aren't pleated.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
theogt;3767282 said:

Bs on the black suit comment and the 6'2 3 button comment.

Brown shoes with a blue suit? Are you kidding me?