Opinion on an interview suit.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3767581 said:
Bs on the black suit comment and the 6'2 3 button comment.

Brown shoes with a blue suit? Are you kidding me?

I disagree with most of his post except to dark brown shoes with with a navy blue suit. You can go black, but dark brown looks more stylish.

Also, I'm a non-pleated & cuffs guy with the pants. Also, I prefer the European double vent in the back to the American single vent.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3767581 said:
Bs on the black suit comment and the 6'2 3 button comment.

Brown shoes with a blue suit? Are you kidding me?
None of what I said is debatable. These are hardline rules. If you have any experience in the business world in which one wears suits on a daily basis, the rules should be obvious and without question.

I'm not kidding or joking or giving mere opinion. There's a considerable amount of bad advise to be given, because people think this is about fashion. It's not. It's about looking the part and that specific look is well defined and accepted. Once you get the job and gain some security and a solid reputation, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing. In the interview, it's a whole other ball game.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
So much of this depends on what kind of job you're interviewing for, and what kind of place you're interviewing at.

I've only interviewed for a job once in my life and it was many years ago, but I do interview people quite often.

I do take note of what the person is wearing, and you want someone to look professional, particularly if they will be in front of clients or representing your business... but all this debate about 2 buttons versus 3 buttons, or what color shoes or what kind of soles... I just would never give a damn about that if I was interviewing someone.

Now, I'm sure there are places where that kind of thing may matter... but there are also places where you could go overboard with stuff like that and hurt your chances. I could definitely see turning off an employer if you look like you don't fit in with the culture and attitude of the place you're interviewing.

My best advice would be to try to get a sense of where you're going to be interviewing and who you're interviewing with, and dress appropriately.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Number82;3767644 said:
I disagree with most of his post except to dark brown shoes with with a navy blue suit. You can go black, but dark brown looks more stylish.

Also, I'm a non-pleated & cuffs guy with the pants. Also, I prefer the European double vent in the back to the American single vent.
You disagree because you lack the experience and knowledge.

Danny White;3767671 said:
So much of this depends on what kind of job you're interviewing for, and what kind of place you're interviewing at.

I've only interviewed for a job once in my life and it was many years ago, but I do interview people quite often.

I do take note of what the person is wearing, and you want someone to look professional, particularly if they will be in front of clients or representing your business... but all this debate about 2 buttons versus 3 buttons, or what color shoes or what kind of soles... I just would never give a damn about that if I was interviewing someone.

Now, I'm sure there are places where that kind of thing may matter... but there are also places where you could go overboard with stuff like that and hurt your chances. I could definitely see turning off an employer if you look like you don't fit in with the culture and attitude of the place you're interviewing.

My best advice would be to try to get a sense of where you're going to be interviewing and who you're interviewing with, and dress appropriately.
Being on the hiring end and hearing what many other people consider when conducting interviews, what you wear is of extreme importance. Right or wrong, people base much of their opinion on what you're wearing in the interview. It can't overcome a bad resume, but it can sink a good one.

This is all assuming you're interviewing for a profession and not McDonald's.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;3767678 said:

Being on the hiring end and hearing what many other people consider when conducting interviews, what you wear is of extreme importance. Right or wrong, people base much of their opinion on what you're wearing in the interview. It can't overcome a bad resume, but it can sink a good one.

No offense to our "lawer" professional poster here but honestly wearing a suit to a regular professional job isn't buying you anything. As a matter of fact If you aren't interviewing for a director or high end manager position, I wouldn't ever bother with wearing a suit. Most of the folks I interview for our jobs come in nice slacks/belt/ls-shirt and nice tie. That's really all we are looking for. We aren't hiring for GQ magazine and I don't put much into appearance as long as you look presentable and professional. I might actually look at you a bit odd if you come in wearing some 3 piece get up for some 80k/ programmer job we have open.

Keep in mind I am looking at this from a pure IT industry stand point. Im no cigar smoking smart phone droppin wannabe doctor or attorney.;)

I also look at it this way. If I hire you and you aren't wearing a suit on most days, Im wondering why on earth you interviewed in one to begin with, when your obvious working attire is shirt/slacks and tie.

Keep it basic and don't waste your money.

BTW: I have about 8 suits so it's not like I never wear suits. Im just more practicle than most and nobdy and I mean NOBODY in government wears suits unless they are the big high-ups like Commisioners/Directors/Section Chiefs/Regional types.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
IMO, that suit is fine. You could probably find something more affordable and get 2 for a decent price. The real nice suits don't matter unless you're applying for a sales job or a job where you conduct presentations or a VP or C-level executive job. Otherwise you're better off saving your money. The real key is what you say and understanding the stupid buzzwords that really work in interviews. And always try to learn something from your last interview so you can bring it to your next interview.

I try to treat interviews almost like a conversation and *almost* like trying to pickup a girl. You can't just have them ask the questions and you answer them. You need to build a rapport back and forth and basically show them what you bring to the table. Lastly, ask them 'what do you think of me as a candidate for this job' and 'what's the next step after this' at the end of the interview. That stuff typically works very well.

YR

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;3767703 said:
No offense to our "lawer" professional poster here but honestly wearing a suit to a regular professional job isn't buying you anything. As a matter of fact If you aren't interviewing for a director or high end manager position, I wouldn't ever bother with wearing a suit. Most of the folks I interview for our jobs come in nice slacks/belt/ls-shirt and nice tie. That's really all we are looking for. We aren't hiring for GQ magazine and I don't put much into appearance as long as you look presentable and professional. I might actually look at you a bit odd if you come in wearing some 3 piece get up for some 80k/ programmer job we have open.

Keep in mind I am looking at this from a pure IT industry stand point. Im no cigar smoking smart phone droppin wannabe doctor or attorney.;)
Yeah, that's pretty much my viewpoint. I'm on the low-end of the IT spectrum and I can't tell you how many times I'd show up in one of my nicest interview outfits and the interviewer was wearing jeans and golf shirt. Or as they're showing me around the office, I see employees wearing shorts and flip-flops.

It's important to dress appropriate and give a good impression, but know your target audience. If/when I need to interview again, I'll dress nice, but I'll no longer go all out.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt is mostly right, but the whole brown shoes with a navy blue suit hasn't been fully explained. Brown shoes with a navy blue suit *is* okay as long as the color tone of the shoes are AS DARK as the suit itself. (ie dark brown)

Now, it's an absolute sin to wear brown shoes that aren't as dark as the navy suit. You will straight up look like an idiot. (and rightfully so)

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Have to agree with Theo's advice on here...there are very specific guidelines for these things....interviews are not situations where you should explore fashionable alternatives.

I also agree that Jos A Banks would be a better option for the money.

I have no experience with these guys, but they've created a bit of a buzz, and I'm thinking about picking up one of their three piece suits...apparently they have a very agreeable customer service department and will accept returns until you are 100% satisfied with their product.

www.indochino.com

I'd be sure to get measured by a tailor, however...using indochino's guide.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
nyc;3767740 said:
theogt is mostly right, but the whole brown shoes with a navy blue suit hasn't been fully explained. Brown shoes with a navy blue suit *is* okay as long as the color tone of the shoes are AS DARK as the suit itself. (ie dark brown)

Now, it's an absolute sin to wear brown shoes that aren't as dark as the navy suit. You will straight up look like an idiot. (and rightfully so)

this too...

I also agree that it depends on the job....but as a guideline, Theo is dead on. I wouldn't stray too far from that advise unless the job warranted it...i.e a trendy IT or graphic design gig. Use common sense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3767703 said:

I also look at it this way. If I hire you and you aren't wearing a suit on most days, Im wondering why on earth you interviewed in one to begin with, when your obvious working attire is shirt/slacks and tie.

BTW: I have about 8 suits so it's not like I never wear suits. Im just more practicle than most and nobdy and I mean NOBODY in government wears suits unless they are the big high-ups like Commisioners/Directors/Section Chiefs/Regional types.

WoodysGirl;3767721 said:
Yeah, that's pretty much my viewpoint. I'm on the low-end of the IT spectrum and I can't tell you how many times I'd show up in one of my nicest interview outfits and the interviewer was wearing jeans and golf shirt. Or as they're showing me around the office, I see employees wearing shorts and flip-flops.

It's important to dress appropriate and give a good impression, but know your target audience. If/when I need to interview again, I'll dress nice, but I'll no longer go all out.
My advice is based on the assumption that this is for an interview that requires a suit. If this is about whether to wear a suit or not, obviously the advice changes. If you're going to be a tech geek for Google, maybe you don't wear a suit.

And I take no offense, as I am not a "lawer." ;)

nyc;3767740 said:

From my original post on the topic:

theogt;3767282 said:
If you have a navy suit, wear dark brown shoes. If you have a grey suit, wear black shoes.
As you see, I specified dark brown.

Light brown shoes with navy suits are perfectly fine for every day wear, but not on an interview. If you want to be particularly stylish you can even wear light brown shoes with a light gray suit -- that's a bit too much of a stretch for me, though.

If you wear black shoes with a navy suit, you will look like you don't know how to dress. It's borderline too conservative, like wearing a black suit.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3767812 said:
My advice is based on the assumption that this is for an interview that requires a suit. If this is about whether to wear a suit or not, obviously the advice changes. If you're going to be a tech geek for Google, maybe you don't wear a suit.

And I take no offense, as I am not a "lawer." ;)
Well he didn't specify what type of job he would be interviewing for in the future.

Your advice is pretty good and something I'd probably pass on to my nephews when they're of age.

But for the purposes of this thread, it's ok to provide general interview advice for the less elite professions.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3767824 said:
Well he didn't specify what type of job he would be interviewing for in the future.

Your advice is pretty good and something I'd probably pass on to my nephews when they're of age.

But for the purposes of this thread, it's ok to provide general interview advice for the less elite professions.
You're right. I just assumed. You know what they say about assuming things....

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
When I graduated from college, my sibs pitched in and purchased me a nice leather briefcase from Coach. It kinda completed the "look" of a serious jobhunter. Tidier than showing up for interviews with a loose legal pad and a pen, I suppose.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Dallas;3767703 said:

I agree. If I were doing the hiring I'd be looking at the persons qualifications not if he or she were wearing the correct color of shoes.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3767861 said:
I agree. If I were doing the hiring I'd be looking at the persons qualifications not if he or she were wearing the correct color of shoes.

Rex Ryan and his wife would notice. ;)

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3767678 said:

I've interviewed hundreds of prospective employees and not once did what they wore make a difference. It's all about their experience and how well they handle themselves during the interview. You should be a little more respective of others opinions as there is no set rules on 2-button vs 3-button, etc.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
All in all some excellent information for Salt to take from this thread as well as anyone reading it. We have some very professional folks in our community here at CBZ who bring a vast amount of experience in numerous subjects across the board.

A wealth of knowledge here at CBZ and honestly, this is a place if ever I needed advice on something, I wouldn't think twice about posting a question about it.

Now im going to go "lawer" up and see if I can keep myself out of theos doghouse.:D

One other thing I noticed after re-reading the thread is the absense of our lady users (aside from our awesome mod WG). It might be nice for our female users to have a bit more "girl" power here. What do you ladies typically wear to your interviews (I can see Quagmires..er bbguns wheels turning)? Do you wear a suit or slacks/blouse or pants?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Dallas;3767887 said:
All in all some excellent information for Salt to take from this thread as well as anyone reading it. We have some very professional folks in our community here at CBZ who bring a vast amount of experience in numerous subjects across the board.

A wealth of knowledge here at CBZ and honestly, this is a place if ever I needed advice on something, I wouldn't think twice about posting a question about it.

Now im going to go "lawer" up and see if I can keep myself out of theos doghouse.:D

Don't forget your dark brown shoes :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Anjinsan;3767864 said:
I've interviewed hundreds of prospective employees and not once did what they wore make a difference. It's all about their experience and how well they handle themselves during the interview. You should be a little more respective of others opinions as there is no set rules on 2-button vs 3-button, etc.

It's great that you're cool about it, but job applicants aren't mindreaders. And with unemployment hovering around 10%, with 200 similarly qualified people applying for the same position in some instances, jobseekers will naturally look for any edge that will separate them from the competition. For most, it will start with grooming and attire.