Opinion: We're not keeping Davis, and not drafting a FS high

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
We may not be keeping Keith Davis, nor drafting a FS witha high draft pick. Why? I suspect that Dallas may roll the dice with Justin Beriault at FS, and perhaps draft a FS in the later rounds or get a June-1st-cut free-agent just in case for depth. Dallas may know something we don't about Beriault's post-injury progreess, and if it's doing well, and the kid can pick up where he left off before the injury, then playing him at FS would be a viable option.

I know there's a lot of "IF's" regarding Beriault but he may be the X-factor for what we do at FS, mening the decision to match the offer made to Keith Davis by the Saints may come down to his special teams play alone. But wasn't one of our free-agent aquisitions known for his special teams play - the LB we got (I foget his name)? Could that also impact what Dallas decides to do on Davis?

Duane

Reaction score
Ok, so we're going to bank on a 2nd day player in last year's draft to come in and start at FS when he was injured and doesn't fit the part?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, so in the title you meant to say "IMO" we're not keeping Davis, instead of making like it was breaking news.:rolleyes:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Duane said:
Ok, so we're going to bank on a 2nd day player in last year's draft to come in and start at FS when he was injured and doesn't fit the part?

Jones is a risk taker and has a lot of monet tied up in the secondary. All I'm saying is dobn't be surprised if this happens. Barry-O is more of a SS type but Dallas does play a scheme where the S positions can interchange. Remeber we had Dixon covering for Davis some last year and even Dixon is more of a SS.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Remeber we had Dixon covering for Davis some last year and even Dixon is more of a SS.

Dixon isn't a FS... and he really isn't a SS... he's more of a POS actually.:p:

SouthernStar

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Remeber we had Dixon covering.....
Dixon couldn't cover his head with a ten gallon hat!
One of our most "unsung" offseason moves was getting rid of Scott and Dixon.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Jones is a risk taker and has a lot of monet tied up in the secondary. All I'm saying is dobn't be surprised if this happens. Barry-O is more of a SS type but Dallas does play a scheme where the S positions can interchange. Remeber we had Dixon covering for Davis some last year and even Dixon is more of a SS.

Jones may be a risk taker... but Purcells isn't.

I'm banking that they match the offer for Davis AND they resolve the FS position on day 1 by either drafting a FS OR drafting a CB and moving someone to FS.

Justin isn't a coverage safety... And I'm so sick of seeing our safeties blowing coverages I could scream.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Dixon wasn't on the team but about a week and a half last year. He was brought in and then cut to make room for someone else that we brought in. I don't remember him even seeing the field except on ST. Lynn Scott was brought back at the same time as Dixon and we kept him for the rest of the year.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
With our lack of activity in FA, Im thinking we are either going to move Henry or snag one in round 2 or 3. I think its a lock we take a DB in rounds 1-3. Looking at who we have interviewed, Im getting a feeling of CB/S DT in rounds 1-2 in either order.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
Dixon couldn't cover his head with a ten gallon hat!
One of our most "unsung" offseason moves was getting rid of Scott and Dixon.

I'm not saying Dixon could cove. I'm bringing him up as an example to make the point that Dallas' answer to FS depth last year was using more of a SS-type of S. Even Keith Davis, last year's FS starter, is more of a SS-type than FS. So why is is it so shocking to everyone that Dallas may use Barry-O - anopther SS type at FS? I'm not saying I agree with this; I'd rather have a pure FS-type of S playing FS, but Dallas' history suggests this won't ahppen any time soon. So don't be surprised if once again we have a SS-type playing FS (and with Brry-O we laready have one on the roster). Me? I'm bracing myself for it.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
I'm not saying Dixon could cove. I'm bringing him up as an example to make the point that Dallas' answer to FS depth last year was using more of a SS-type of S. Even Keith Davis, last year's FS starter, is more of a SS-type than FS. So why is is it so shocking to everyone that Dallas may use Barry-O - anopther SS type at FS? I'm not saying I agree with this; I'd rather have a pure FS-type of S playing FS, but Dallas' history suggests this won't ahppen any time soon. So don't be surprised if once again we have a SS-type playing FS (and with Brry-O we laready have one on the roster). Me? I'm bracing myself for it.
This is true enough but I think BP recognizes that this cost us some games too. With the "poison pill" clause about Playing Time in the Keith Davis contract we might very well let him walk. But I don't see any way that we Do Not address the FS position by drafting a true FS or by drafting a CB and moving Henry to FS. Something will be done this year; we will not go into the Season trying to make do as we did last year.

p1_

Reaction score
then again we may just keep him. Its not a done deal, as your title suggests.

cbfan55

Reaction score
noshame said:
Oh, so in the title you meant to say "IMO" we're not keeping Davis, instead of making like it was breaking news.:rolleyes:

It clearly says opinion!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
said it before. I'll keep saying it.

an average FS would do very well with Roy, T-New, and Henry -- you see it all over the league -- mediocre guys playing well because of the quality around them.

not keeping Davis doesn't force a first round FS pick -- I don't think it forces a first DAY fs pick. if there is great value there we take a FS -- regardless of Davis.

if a team lets a player like Keith Davis dictate their draft then their approach to the draft is stupid.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Did I read that Davis's contract have a clause in it for starting and plying time ? If so, doubt we will match it.

I'd say 3rd round for a saftey, but still not ruling out Berr-io...

Also maybe Coleman when he dries out.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Did I read that Davis's contract have a clause in it for starting and plying time ? If so, doubt we will match it.

But the Saints have 2 starters and they are both good players. Dwight Smith signed a 5year 15 mill contract last year. And we all remember that they took Josh Bullocks in round 2 last year (think back to how loudly you groaned when that happened).

They are in better shape at safety than we are -- I can't see how they could establish any sort of playing time clause for a guy who isn't going to compete for a starting spot.

Eddie

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Dixon isn't a FS... and he really isn't a SS... he's more of a POS actually.:p:

The problem with that is we used a 2nd round pick on Dixon.

:bang2:

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
We may not be keeping Keith Davis, nor drafting a FS witha high draft pick. Why? I suspect that Dallas may roll the dice with Justin Beriault at FS, and perhaps draft a FS in the later rounds or get a June-1st-cut free-agent just in case for depth. Dallas may know something we don't about Beriault's post-injury progreess, and if it's doing well, and the kid can pick up where he left off before the injury, then playing him at FS would be a viable option.

I know there's a lot of "IF's" regarding Beriault but he may be the X-factor for what we do at FS, mening the decision to match the offer made to Keith Davis by the Saints may come down to his special teams play alone. But wasn't one of our free-agent aquisitions known for his special teams play - the LB we got (I foget his name)? Could that also impact what Dallas decides to do on Davis?

6th Round Safety's from Ball State that run mid 4.6's isnt our answer.. This might be the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard. Thats like putting a poor mans John Lynch at safety and praying he can run in a Cover 2 with Santana. Get Real. Id rather put no awareness Keith Davis on that because at least has some speed. You can be as savy as anyone or have the biggest heart in this league and its not going to matter. You HAVE to HAVE some talent (I.E Speed) to play Free Saftety in this league or you are going to look like Roy and Glenn.

Solution.. Either draft a FS/C late in round 1 (after trading down) or draft starter at OLB , a C/FS in second (With SPEED) to start , or pick a top CB (Jimmy or Cromratie) and move Henry back to FS.

He could potentially be a great special teamer but a FS for America's Team, Quit smoking the pipe...A slow guy from the MAC isnt the answer.......