Opinion: We're not keeping Davis, and not drafting a FS high

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dat Dude said:
6th Round Safety's from Ball State that run mid 4.6's isnt our answer.. This might be the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard. Thats like putting a poor mans John Lynch at safety and praying he can run in a Cover 2 with Santana. Get Real. Id rather put no awareness Keith Davis on that because at least has some speed. You can be as savy as anyone or have the biggest heart in this league and its not going to matter. You HAVE to HAVE some talent (I.E Speed) to play Free Saftety in this league or you are going to look like Roy and Glenn.

Solution.. Either draft a FS/C late in round 1 (after trading down) or draft starter at OLB , a C/FS in second (With SPEED) to start , or pick a top CB (Jimmy or Cromratie) and move Henry back to FS.

He could potentially be a great special teamer but a FS for America's Team, Quit smoking the pipe...A slow guy from the MAC isnt the answer.......

Very true.

I yearn for the days when our strong safety was a 4.4 guy who could cover the slot and our free safety (Marion) was a corner in college.

We didn't have 1/10th of the issues we have now with coverages in the middle of field.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Very true.

I yearn for the days when our strong safety was a 4.4 guy who could cover the slot and our free safety (Marion) was a corner in college.

We didn't have 1/10th of the issues we have now with coverages in the middle of field.
Very true and having Haley causing havok in the offensive backfield didn't hurt either.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eddie said:
The problem with that is we used a 2nd round pick on Dixon.

yes, but it was a late 2nd rounder.

Great draft for us -- Steve Smith and Shaun Rogers -- we passed on them twice.

sacase

Reaction score
no way we start Berry-o in place of KD. At least you know what you have in KD, plus he is a special teams terror.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Beriault is a strong safety, and Bill won't hedge his bets on him maybe recovering from his injury

and Davis will be coming back because his special teams ability is invaluable to the organization, and despite being a poor starter, he makes for great depth

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:
said it before. I'll keep saying it.

an average FS would do very well with Roy, T-New, and Henry -- you see it all over the league -- mediocre guys playing well because of the quality around them.

not keeping Davis doesn't force a first round FS pick -- I don't think it forces a first DAY fs pick. if there is great value there we take a FS -- regardless of Davis.

if a team lets a player like Keith Davis dictate their draft then their approach to the draft is stupid.

:hammer: and besides, Jerry said no FS in 1st 2 rounds

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dat Dude said:
6th Round Safety's from Ball State that run mid 4.6's isnt our answer.. This might be the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard. Thats like putting a poor mans John Lynch at safety and praying he can run in a Cover 2 with Santana. Get Real. Id rather put no awareness Keith Davis on that because at least has some speed.

go over Beriault's workout, he's a pretty, athlectic dude, just he's an in-the-box type of S, not a FS who covers in the deep zone, he's not that slow either

cleverusername

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
This is true enough but I think BP recognizes that this cost us some games too. With the "poison pill" clause about Playing Time in the Keith Davis contract we might very well let him walk. But I don't see any way that we Do Not address the FS position by drafting a true FS or by drafting a CB and moving Henry to FS. Something will be done this year; we will not go into the Season trying to make do as we did last year.

If this poison pill thing is true I hope we beat down the saints, run up the score, and embarrass payton , like the ungrateful disloyal jerk he is.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Our safeties have not gotten beat deep because of lack of speed. They have gotten beat because of poor route recognition. Speed will help you recover from poor route recognition but good route recognition will make up for .2 in a forty every day of the week!!

twa

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Our safeties have not gotten beat deep because of lack of speed. They have gotten beat because of poor route recognition. Speed will help you recover from poor route recognition but good route recognition will make up for .2 in a forty every day of the week!!

True dat:cool: The kid from Ball with a good knee and training could also drop his forty time .1 or so.

I can't say he is the answer ,but Davis is no FS.

sacase

Reaction score
twa said:
True dat:cool: The kid from Ball with a good knee and training could also drop his forty time .1 or so.

I can't say he is the answer ,but Davis is no FS.

He has a degenerative knee condition so you might get a 3 or 4 years out of him before his leg falls off.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
cleverusername said:
If this poison pill thing is true I hope we beat down the saints, run up the score, and embarrass payton , like the ungrateful disloyal jerk he is.

And I wonder what if...What if he doesn't play the starts or snaps that is in his contract with NO...The very thing that kept us from matching the offer.

Can they be fined our CAN WE nulify the contract ?

That might be a good one to ask JJT...

cleverusername

Reaction score
Jarv said:
And I wonder what if...What if he doesn't play the starts or snaps that is in his contract with NO...The very thing that kept us from matching the offer.

Can they be fined our CAN WE nulify the contract ?

That might be a good one to ask JJT...

I don't know, and I don't know if anyone does. I have looked all over the net and there's not a whole lot of info on the subject. Even if I did find something I'm sure they have it worded to where you have to be a lawyer to figue it out. Some work needs to be done on this RFA poison pill thing. Bad for football. You really should post this question to JJT. I posted a similar one.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
cleverusername said:
I don't know, and I don't know if anyone does. I have looked all over the net and there's not a whole lot of info on the subject. Even if I did find something I'm sure they have it worded to where you have to be a lawyer to figue it out. Some work needs to be done on this RFA poison pill thing. Bad for football. You really should post this question. I posted a similar one.

I actually quoted your question in the JJT thread...and added my supplement. Should be interesting.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sacase said:
He has a degenerative knee condition so you might get a 3 or 4 years out of him before his leg falls off.

3 to 4 years is the life-span for many NFL players, and from a 6th round pick, that would be gravy

twa

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
3 to 4 years is the life-span for many NFL players, and from a 6th round pick, that would be gravy

Besides the surgery was to correct the condition,

So his leg won't fall off...Maybe :laugh2:

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv said:

WRONG!!!!! I dont care how much "route recognition" you have if you have a WR that runs 4.3's down on a fly or deep post and the QB has time to throw you are DONE if you runs 4.6's. Even if you recognize the play, formation or ANTYHING for that matter. If the opposing QB has a big arm and you cant get deep enough with that SPEED that you need then you are burnt. Simple as that.

Not saying that you cant be an adequate saftey if you dont run 4.4's, but that speed is what the playmakers in this league have. Not so much as track speed, but recovery speed and getting deep enough while the ball is in the air. I'll take a guy that runs 4.3's based on potential alone. YOU CANT TEACH SPEED and with the last line of defense in any defense being a safety, he'd better be able to run.

Show me a free safety that runs mid 4.6's and Ill be watching semi pro football...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dat Dude said:
WRONG!!!!! I dont care how much "route recognition" you have if you have a WR that runs 4.3's down on a fly or deep post and the QB has time to throw you are DONE if you runs 4.6's.

40 time is next to useless compared to hips, change of direction speed, if you are forced to turn around in coverage, Beriault is very good at changing direction, once again, look up his workout numbers from last year, in fact, there was a discussion that he matched up with many of last year's CBs in a few times