Opinion: We're not keeping Davis, and not drafting a FS high

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sacase said:
He has a degenerative knee condition so you might get a 3 or 4 years out of him before his leg falls off.

actually the procedure he has regenerates the cartiladge which doesn't normally grow back -- that pretty much fixes the "degenerative" problem

Reed

Reaction score
I hung out with Anthony smith last night at the bar and he said he really wants to go to the cowboys, he said he ran a 4.7 in the combine in really bad cleats and it messed him up, then he chagned shoes and ran a 4.5, i hope we get him, he has his head straight, a nice guy

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Very true and having Haley causing havok in the offensive backfield didn't hurt either.

But the truth is our pass rush of the early 90's was good but we're not talking '77 Cowboy pass rush here Yeager.

You can't reach the QB on every pass attempt... you just can't do it. And you had better have people back there that can cover.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv said:
Our safeties have not gotten beat deep because of lack of speed. They have gotten beat because of poor route recognition. Speed will help you recover from poor route recognition but good route recognition will make up for .2 in a forty every day of the week!!

I want one safety back there that does have speed and the ability to read routes.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:hammer: and besides, Jerry said no FS in 1st 2 rounds

Didn't Jerry and Parcells also say they were not interested in signing Owens? Ignoring the FS position all together in the first and 2nd rounds could be disastrous. FS is the only position that we had a glaring hole at last year that hasn't been addressed. With the seemingly loss of Davis, we would then be worse off instead of better, which IMO is an indication that we will draft a FS/CB sometime during the first day, most likely during picks 2 or 3.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
Didn't Jerry and Parcells also say they were not interested in signing Owens?

I'd be interested in seeing a link to those comments. Any discussion of a player under contract with another team would be tampering.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'd be interested in seeing a link to those comments. Any discussion of a player under contract with another team would be tampering.

Actually, that was the argument that many of the anti-Owens members were trying to use, which I said didn't hold water. I always thought it was a smokescreen, so I was basically saying the same thing about Jerry's comments on the FS position.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
noshame said:
Oh, so in the title you meant to say "IMO" we're not keeping Davis, instead of making like it was breaking news.:rolleyes:

Well in his defense it does say Opinoin in the title......or at least it does now, not sure what the original title was......I think we may trade down for a guy like simpson. Get an early 2nd rounder for that 18 spot. Give that spot to a team who really needs a CB. We did it 2 years ago and got Julius and Spears out of the deal!

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
We may not be keeping Keith Davis, nor drafting a FS witha high draft pick. Why? I suspect that Dallas may roll the dice with Justin Beriault at FS, and perhaps draft a FS in the later rounds or get a June-1st-cut free-agent just in case for depth. Dallas may know something we don't about Beriault's post-injury progreess, and if it's doing well, and the kid can pick up where he left off before the injury, then playing him at FS would be a viable option.

I know there's a lot of "IF's" regarding Beriault but he may be the X-factor for what we do at FS, mening the decision to match the offer made to Keith Davis by the Saints may come down to his special teams play alone. But wasn't one of our free-agent aquisitions known for his special teams play - the LB we got (I foget his name)? Could that also impact what Dallas decides to do on Davis?

If we don't keep Davis than this is sure fire sign that JJ intends on bringing in a veteran at the FS position....possibly opening up the law firm in dallas. :cool:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
Actually, that was the argument that many of the anti-Owens members were trying to use, which I said didn't hold water. I always thought it was a smokescreen, so I was basically saying the same thing about Jerry's comments on the FS position.

as an anti-TO member I can say clearly that the argument was that the signing would be inconsistent with what they both had said in the past about character -- but never did either say anything about TO (except for the infamous 'sleep on the star' comment)

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallasblue05 said:
Well in his defense it does say Opinoin in the title......or at least it does now, not sure what the original title was......I think we may trade down for a guy like simpson. Get an early 2nd rounder for that 18 spot. Give that spot to a team who really needs a CB. We did it 2 years ago and got Julius and Spears out of the deal!

It was corrected, all is well.

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
We may not be keeping Keith Davis, nor drafting a FS witha high draft pick. Why? I suspect that Dallas may roll the dice with Justin Beriault at FS, and perhaps draft a FS in the later rounds or get a June-1st-cut free-agent just in case for depth. Dallas may know something we don't about Beriault's post-injury progreess, and if it's doing well, and the kid can pick up where he left off before the injury, then playing him at FS would be a viable option.

I know there's a lot of "IF's" regarding Beriault but he may be the X-factor for what we do at FS, mening the decision to match the offer made to Keith Davis by the Saints may come down to his special teams play alone. But wasn't one of our free-agent aquisitions known for his special teams play - the LB we got (I foget his name)? Could that also impact what Dallas decides to do on Davis?

Wrong Again :laugh2:

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
and so since we just re-signed Keith Davis, is it still your opinion that we're not keeping him?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
SupermanXx said:
and so since we just re-signed Keith Davis, is it still your opinion that we're not keeping him?

I also speculated that the decision to keep Keith Davis may come down to special teams alone, and if you read the articlt on dallascowboys.com about keeping Davis it seems his contribution os specual temas is the best thing they can say about him. And it goes on to say how that the team expects great things from Barry-o this season. I doubt that means he replaces Roy Williamns; it most likely means he takes over the FS slot, which was the main premise of my initial post.