Opinions on the first playoff game and what might happen afterwards

garyv

Reaction score
Just an opinion regardless of whether we play Tampa Bay or Green Bay in the first round playoff game if we lose do you think we will stand pat with players and same coaches and try again next year or what do you think Jerry Jones might try to do in desperation move up in draft or make coaching changes ? just your gut feeling n sarcasim.

817Gill

Reaction score
Just an opinion regardless of whether we play Tampa Bay or Green Bay in the first round playoff game if we lose do you think we will stand pat with players and same coaches and try again next year or what do you think Jerry Jones might try to do in desperation move up in draft or make coaching changes ? just your gut feeling n sarcasim.
Don’t see a huge personnel shake up, we are a few players away from one of the best rosters in the league. This isn’t a roster needing to be blown up, just added to. DT, CB2, and LB come to mind as some potential upgrades that could really solidify the current group. Maybe even another reliable WR but I think Gallup gets back to himself next year and am willing to give Tolbert another year.

Coaching wise is where I could see a change, but back to back playoffs and 12-win seasons makes it unlikely. I’d like to see us bring in Sean Payton’s super staff that he’s supposedly assembling with Vic Fangio. At that point we’d have no excuses.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It all depends on why we lose.
Do we lose because the DL was dominated, pushed off the ball, and run heavily on, no matter what we try?
Do we lose in a high scoring shootout because we can’t pressure the QB or cover WRs?
Do we lose because of turnovers?
Do we lose because the OL doesn’t allow us to run the ball and the QB is rushed and sacked all game?
Do we lose because both teams play very well and the team that has the ball last wins it? (This is the one that Cowboys fans never seem to accept. They prefer to blame someone or a play or two)

For the above, we run it back with some new players and points of emphasis paired with getting injured starters back.

Do we lose because of time or game mismanagement?
Do we lose because the OC has us passing 50 times?
Do we lose because the defense knows and is calling our plays at the line of scrimmage?
Do we lose because the DC can’t figure out a way to slow down the run game when it’s killing us by taking other risks on the back end or because he lets one wideout destroy us instead of having Diggs follow him or bracketing him?

For those, we may well see partial or complete changes among the coaching staff.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys had a decent break from football the past week and have good news on some guys returning for the playoffs. McCarthy will know how to handle the Cowboys snaps for the Commanders game and the team will be motivated to win keeping positive momentum going into the playoffs. Pollard gets 1,000 and a few players will get some needed rest with limited action.

I believe the Cowboys will remain the # 5 seed and head to Tampa to take on Brady and the Bucs. TY Hilton is going to be the X factor on offense in the playoffs. He truly is a dude who just makes plays. Dak will feel highly confident having Lamb, Gallup and Hilton to throw to and will stay aggressive (a must). The loss of Biadasz is tough (hopefully he can return and be effective), but the Cowboys have been on point with their roster planning for that unit. Running the ball effectively, as always, will be lead to a greater chance at success. Tyron Smith should be in good form heading into the playoffs.

The defense will hopefully be tweaked by moving Parsons around, taking fewer snaps at the LOS battling OL and TE/RB double teams. Getting LVE and Hankins back will be much welcomed additions for the Tournament and will allow Quinn opportunities to deploy more wrinkles with the pass rush. Biggest effect will be in the secondary that will improve dramatically with more pressure up front.

Hopefully Turpin can put the cherry on top by providing good field position.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just an opinion regardless of whether we play Tampa Bay or Green Bay in the first round playoff game if we lose do you think we will stand pat with players and same coaches and try again next year
If we lose the wild card round, Big Mike is history. This season will be considered a failure no matter how regular season W's we end up with.

Not new news. Exactly what was being said every day since the end of last year. We all know the expectations of this year. Including McCarthy.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

We like our guys we like our guys, we will do our due diligence!!

Bagman

Reaction score
It all depends on why we lose.
Do we lose because the DL was dominated, pushed off the ball, and run heavily on, no matter what we try?
Do we lose in a high scoring shootout because we can’t pressure the QB or cover WRs?
Do we lose because of turnovers?
Do we lose because the OL doesn’t allow us to run the ball and the QB is rushed and sacked all game?
Do we lose because both teams play very well and the team that has the ball last wins it? (This is the one that Cowboys fans never seem to accept. They prefer to blame someone or a play or two)

For the above, we run it back with some new players and points of emphasis paired with getting injured starters back.

Do we lose because of time or game mismanagement?
Do we lose because the OC has us passing 50 times?
Do we lose because the defense knows and is calling our plays at the line of scrimmage?
Do we lose because the DC can’t figure out a way to slow down the run game when it’s killing us by taking other risks on the back end or because he lets one wideout destroy us instead of having Diggs follow him or bracketing him?

For those, we may well see partial or complete changes among the coaching staff.
Good post. We seem to have a lot of pieces in place. I also think that our weaknesses will reveal themselves in the playoffs. I hope our staff and GM can draft/trade to upgrade where needed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If we lose the wild card round, Big Mike is history.

I'm not sure it will be MM as much as Kellen. He only has 1 year left on his contract, easier fire him than MM, where you may have to pay off several assistant coaches.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All I can say is if we play Tampa, Tom Brady is in trouble. This isn’t the same offensive line that was in shambles the first game.

Verdict

Reaction score
You will see significant roster turnover either way. 20—30 percent turnover either way. That is the nature of the NFL.

Verdict

Reaction score
If we lose the wild card round, Big Mike is history. This season will be considered a failure no matter how regular season W's we end up with.

Not new news. Exactly what was being said every day since the end of last year. We all know the expectations of this year. Including McCarthy.
I respect your opinion, but I don’t see it happening.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a decent break from football the past week and have good news on some guys returning for the playoffs. McCarthy will know how to handle the Cowboys snaps for the Commanders game and the team will be motivated to win keeping positive momentum going into the playoffs. Pollard gets 1,000 and a few players will get some needed rest with limited action.

I believe the Cowboys will remain the # 5 seed and head to Tampa to take on Brady and the Bucs. TY Hilton is going to be the X factor on offense in the playoffs. He truly is a dude who just makes plays. Dak will feel highly confident having Lamb, Gallup and Hilton to throw to and will stay aggressive (a must). The loss of Biadasz is tough (hopefully he can return and be effective), but the Cowboys have been on point with their roster planning for that unit. Running the ball effectively, as always, will be lead to a greater chance at success. Tyron Smith should be in good form heading into the playoffs.

The defense will hopefully be tweaked by moving Parsons around, taking fewer snaps at the LOS battling OL and TE/RB double teams. Getting LVE and Hankins back will be much welcomed additions for the Tournament and will allow Quinn opportunities to deploy more wrinkles with the pass rush. Biggest effect will be in the secondary that will improve dramatically with more pressure up front.

Hopefully Turpin can put the cherry on top by providing good field position.
I would test Parsons this game. He wouldn’t see the field if I was coaching. He needs to rest and be fresh for the playoffs.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I would test Parsons this game. He wouldn’t see the field if I was coaching. He needs to rest and be fresh for the playoffs.

I can see it now….

Parsons rests, then Philly and the 49’ers lose. We need one defensive stop on the last drive of the game to win and get the #1 seed, but our best player isn’t on the field and we don’t get it.

This board would crucify MM and call for his immediate firing.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Don’t see a huge personnel shake up, we are a few players away from one of the best rosters in the league. This isn’t a roster needing to be blown up, just added to. DT, CB2, and LB come to mind as some potential upgrades that could really solidify the current group. Maybe even another reliable WR but I think Gallup gets back to himself next year and am willing to give Tolbert another year.

Coaching wise is where I could see a change, but back to back playoffs and 12-win seasons makes it unlikely. I’d like to see us bring in Sean Payton’s super staff that he’s supposedly assembling with Vic Fangio. At that point we’d have no excuses.
I would like Sean if we lose yet again in the 1st round.
Just hope the draft comp to the saints does not kill us.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry is 80. In his mind he doesnt have time for a rebuild. He will run it back with a few patches.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score

WHY? Because some talking heads said so? Because front runner fans say so? consecutive 12 win seasons means you keep your job as HC. Other wise you loose credibility as an owner. Who wants a job where 2

consecutive 12 win seasons gets you fired? Nobody not even the "Great Sean Payton" will take those odds.

We ain't loosin in the WC round anyway