Image: Opinions on these new style helmets?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It's possible they put that ridge on the side to deflect the energy up or down, rather than directly toward the head. I'm looking forward to seeing the explanation.
I think it is specifically for the look, not the deflection of energy. It may even be worse than a rounded helmet.
When a helmet is impacted, the head is going to be knocked in one direction fast,and the head moves faster than the brain, which stretches the
connections, which cause the concussion. No helmet design can stop that or lessen it.
They need to look closer at inside the helmet to lessen any blow, not the outside.

Now there is that one spot on top front of helmet, where it looks like that piece would bend on impact, which might help a little, but only with
a few hits that would contact only that part of the helmet.

The holes are to let hot air out cool air in, dont know how good they work though, and I dont like the look of those either.
I thought of some small battery powered fans in helmet would be better for cooling inside the helmet.

Bates

Reaction score
I think it is specifically for the look, not the deflection of energy. It may even be worse than a rounded helmet.
When a helmet is impacted, the head is going to be knocked in one direction fast,and the head moves faster than the brain, which stretches the
connections, which cause the concussion. No helmet design can stop that or lessen it.
They need to look closer at inside the helmet to lessen any blow, not the outside.

Now there is that one spot on top front of helmet, where it looks like that piece would bend on impact, which might help a little, but only with
a few hits that would contact only that part of the helmet.

The holes are to let hot air out cool air in, dont know how good they work though, and I dont like the look of those either.
I thought of some small battery powered fans in helmet would be better for cooling inside the helmet.

The interior of the helmet is custom fit and the exterior is made up of flex panels. Supposedly the interior and exterior work together to lessen impact. Think it’s a smart helmet that’s collecting data as it’s being used.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The interior of the helmet is custom fit and the exterior is made up of flex panels. Supposedly the interior and exterior work together to lessen impact. Think it’s a smart helmet that’s collecting data as it’s being used.
so it has sensors and onboard computer system??:omg:
They should use a computer to help the players run the right routes, cut left 5 steps then cut right ! look for ball!

I will add I only see the one flex panel on top.
And the problem with all this, is the players take hits in inferior helmets, in HS, and college,
so any cte issues could already be present, the nfl would just add to what they already
have incurred .
the head injuries and cte are not caused by the nfl, the nfl just adds to what happened
to them prior to nfl.
So to fight the whole cte thing, means doing so at all levels, going back to peewee.

Last edited: