CFZ Opinions vs Trolling- Some Serious Advice

Cmac

Reaction score
An important correction to my post and apology for any misunderstand......."don't violate forum rules" instead of "do violate forum rules". Big mistake on my part, typing to fast.

Name calling is never a good thing. I read enough posts on here that have no objectivity, and purely subjective.....and that is ok. Unfortunately some posters do inject an unnecessary name in a response, and that is not good nor necessary.....and I've been a recipient to some. We all have opinions, agreeable or not, logical or not. It does come a time to take the high road, and that's alright too. It's alright to respond to quotes......just be clean or respectable about it. I'm not for any of my posts, that don't violate forum rules, be limited, unless that is a rule for every poster. But I understand the suggestive intent......no problems. All good.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There’s, at least, one fairly new member that’s constantly acting like a jerk to multiple other posters, never has a good word about the Cowboys and is clearly a fan of another team that wears ugly green uniforms.

Can there be an exception for harassing him? Please? Asking for a friend. :)

I'm offended you think I'm new around here...

leeblair

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

Here are some serious suggestions to avoid getting the bench:
  • Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • The constant criticism and nit-picking of your fellow fans is tiresome.
  • We’re not here to win arguments. We’re here to offer opinions.
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
"Trolling" is not having a different opinion that is not popular. It's not arguing your position in the face of misrepresented facts.
"Trolling" is taking a position you don't really believe simply to annoy someone else.
You can tell a "Troll" pretty easy. No matter what the subject, they follow certain posters into threads and disagree, and they usually start hurling insults quick, because they really have nothing intelligent to say.
But here at the zone, you get labeled as a troll simply because you won't agree with popular opinion. Your threads get moved or deleted because they don't go along with certain posters wishes.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Some things can’t and shouldn’t be neglected if they are not factual. For example, If one of our running backs gets a thread saying that his 105 yard performance puts him in the MVP running it’s predictable that another poster will say that the defense he faced was ranked 32 against the run.

that’s all it takes before one of the poster is referred to as a “troll” or “hating” on the player. The powers that be have allowed these monikers to be posted and have now become acceptable terms for anyone that disagrees with someone else.

the current culture here accepts and condones these terms. Insults and name calling is another story
Oh please. There is so much trolling and vitriolic diatribe being posted repeatedly by a select bunch.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Bravo Bob great post.....now if we can censor the word troll we will have less negativity

shabazz

Reaction score
"Trolling" is not having a different opinion that is not popular. It's not arguing your position in the face of misrepresented facts.
"Trolling" is taking a position you don't really believe simply to annoy someone else.
You can tell a "Troll" pretty easy. No matter what the subject, they follow certain posters into threads and disagree, and they usually start hurling insults quick, because they really have nothing intelligent to say.
But here at the zone, you get labeled as a troll simply because you won't agree with popular opinion. Your threads get moved or deleted because they don't go along with certain posters wishes.
:clap:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I don’t like censorship of any kind. I think the real subject is the meaning of the words troll and hater.

those words are being applied arbitrarily to dismiss any cogent points made by unpopular opinions
Me too but It has been over used in here one with no argument just call others trolls for having different opinions

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

• Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
We're approaching the middle of the football season.
Every week we have Cowboys games that provide sound topics to weigh in on: performances of the players, coaching decisions made following a win or a loss; we also can look ahead to the next game - the plusses and minuses of the opponent, and how our team matches up.
But we have a number of members that continually muck up pertinent and sensible discussion with inane, outrageous statements, or post the same inferior, mindless threads over and over that just inflame others to respond in an offensive manner, that ends in up with a dozen insults that are at best juvenile in content but often become disgusting.
Bobhaze, you provided a well-worded, salient post to those members not following the rules to clean up their act.
There will those, however, who won't heed your warning...so you and the other moderators will have to take action against them.

Verdict

Reaction score
Some things can’t and shouldn’t be neglected if they are not factual. For example, If one of our running backs gets a thread saying that his 105 yard performance puts him in the MVP running it’s predictable that another poster will say that the defense he faced was ranked 32 against the run.

that’s all it takes before one of the poster is referred to as a “troll” or “hating” on the player. The powers that be have allowed these monikers to be posted and have now become acceptable terms for anyone that disagrees with someone else.

the current culture here accepts and condones these terms. Insults and name calling is another story
The Dak/Anti Dak argument seems to find its way into every thread. I don’t even care about that, as people are entitled to see things however they want to pro or anti Dak or anything in between.

I do agree that the use of the term “trolling” or “homer” tends to start a cascade effect of ever increasing “personalization” of the thread. In my humble opinion it’s not the substance of the posts that is the problem. It is the personalization/insults and veiled insults that are the problem here.

None of it offends me. I just think knowing where that line is important for forum integrity.

Verdict

Reaction score

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
By the way…this is a great post and I like the points contained therein. Just a little bit of civility and common sense goes a long way.

starfan1

Reaction score

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
My issue is the hijacking of threads it gets tiresome. We have ennough Dak sux threads on the board that you can direct your vitrol to. Perfect example is the chicgo rushing attack thread. 2 post in it was about dak. That garbage happens frequently.
another example is the prescott had better game than some are getting credit for.That thread wa not needed all it does is invite the same disageements as the 48 dak threads. Make a Dak zone if need be. I can avoid obvious troll threads but when it takes over every thread even the ones that have nothing to do with the QB its trolling. I can look at user namers and know who is trolling and who isnt

shabazz

Reaction score
The Dak/Anti Dak argument seems to find its way into every thread. I don’t even care about that, as people are entitled to see things however they want to pro or anti Dak or anything in between.

I do agree that the use of the term “trolling” or “homer” tends to start a cascade effect of ever increasing “personalization” of the thread. In my humble opinion it’s not the substance of the posts that is the problem. It is the personalization/insults and veiled insults that are the problem here.

None of it offends me. I just think knowing where that line is important for forum integrity.

the other term of choice is having an “agenda”…..it’s permeating many of the conversations. We don’t know what in each other’s minds yet some assign nefarious or non football biases toward a poster.

Many of us do view performances differently and do apply critical thinking such as strength of opponent and other simply do not. The lions game is a perfect example. 190 passing yards and 1 TD against the lions can be views critically while doing the same against the Bills defense should be viewed positively.

that’s where civil debate should exist without the derogatory terms and insults. I can say that I dislike no one here and don’t have a single person on ignore.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Good post Bob.

I'll be honest. I've used trolling techniques to troll a troll and that probably makes me a troll of sorts. I recognize that I do it and will try to be better.

There is just something that irks me about posters who predict us to win 7 or 8 games and miss the playoffs in September, and still ***** and cry IN EVERY THREAD about everything when we are 5-2. I'd understand if it was posts with concerns, like "I'm worried about our run defense against a quality opponent in the playoffs" that doesn't bother me at all. It's the "I don't care what our record is because some team that is better then us will run down our throats in the playoffs when it counts and Dak isn't good enough to keep us in the game" posts that are just so trollish that I get annoyed with. There is no facts behind the sentence and those same posters use that same sentence in every thread to argue why they have decided to ruin the thread with their negativity.

Anyway...Like I said before, I'll try not to stoop to there levels as much. Sometimes you gotta fight troll with troll though. :muttley: