CFZ Opinions vs Trolling- Some Serious Advice

Motorola

Reaction score
A little bit of advice on this.

Yes it can help and can stop arguments, if it gets to the point where one poster just keeps, basically harassing another. Use the ignore to stop seeing any further responses before it gets too far.
Or you are tired of seeing the same thing repeated, as the OP said, you can just not go in the thread, or if you are already posted, then it starts.

However, at some point remove them from ignore. As many things are said in the "heat of the moment" as it does not mean that poster is always like that.

Also if you have someone on ignore. You do not see any threads they start. Even if you do not agree with them much of the time, you can miss out on some valuable news. Such as player signings or injuries. Also can lead to duplicate threads.
Say it has been posted by a person you have on ignore, so you see the news and create a thread. Only to find out there is already 3 pages about it.

So yes it can be a good feature, but remove them after things have cooled off.
Will have to try that.
I have 16 members on ignore..but about a dozen of them I blocked were back in the spring.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

Here are some serious suggestions to avoid getting the bench:
  • Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • The constant criticism and nit-picking of your fellow fans is tiresome.
  • We’re not here to win arguments. We’re here to offer opinions.
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
Look in the mirror buddy! So much of what you post is a source of unnecessary vitriol. The list of such posts is so long, I don't even know where to start. When someone complains about it they are clobbered over the head by the forum rule #1 clobbering club. Watch what happens here folks.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post Bob.

I'll be honest. I've used trolling techniques to troll a troll and that probably makes me a troll of sorts. I recognize that I do it and will try to be better.

There is just something that irks me about posters who predict us to win 7 or 8 games and miss the playoffs in September, and still ***** and cry IN EVERY THREAD about everything when we are 5-2. I'd understand if it was posts with concerns, like "I'm worried about our run defense against a quality opponent in the playoffs" that doesn't bother me at all. It's the "I don't care what our record is because some team that is better then us will run down our throats in the playoffs when it counts and Dak isn't good enough to keep us in the game" posts that are just so trollish that I get annoyed with. There is no facts behind the sentence and those same posters use that same sentence in every thread to argue why they have decided to ruin the thread with their negativity.

Anyway...Like I said before, I'll try not to stoop to there levels as much. Sometimes you gotta fight troll with troll though. :muttley:
All any of can do is try to be better.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
+ If you feel the need to tell other people to go follow a different team because of their opinions, don't. Just turns you into a fool for everybody to see.
Whatever! If you don't like me telling you to root for another team, then go root for another team and leave us alone.
:lmao:LOL-JK.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Agreed with the name calling. One dude attempted to call my avatar ugly. Said if that was a picture of me, he felt sorry for me. It was a picture of Sal from Impractical Jokers but still, it hurt lol.
Yeah, but...You is ugly in that picture though.
:laugh:LOL-JK.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Identifying trolls:

If you look at a user's profile and the last 10 posts are all on the same subject across multiple threads.
Users with less than 100 posts ever suddenly creating threads. --this generally means they were banned before and are back in a new account to troll more because emails are easy to come by.
If the likes on a post are chockful of other people suspected of being trolls.
You can see the likes of people you have on ignore so birds of a feather here.

As noted above use ignore liberally. Forum is much better if you weed out people that have no real interest in talking football IMO.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
That's great but point #1 is without exaggeration 90% of the content on this forum.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

• Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!

Lord knows I've been guilty of getting frustrated with certain posters lately.
:clap:Cowboys

Starstruck22

Reaction score

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
Bravo……the name calling on here is rampant!!! Thank you for moderating rule violations.