CFZ Opinions vs Trolling- Some Serious Advice

Starstruck22

Reaction score
honest suggestion to the mods. if you bench someone and they ask you why it happened, answer them honestly. sometimes they really don't know. answering them that "they know why" is lazy and doesn't help anyone or contribute to the board.

it happened to me once and i to this day have no explanation. several reached out to me to just let it go cause you will get banned. if you want posters to be respectful, using your authority in the same manner should be a standard. i get it, your job is voluntary and thankless. but if you choose to do it, do it with pride.
Fairness is a two way street. I agree, this happened to me as well with no explanation.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
I called a few people homers. How about we start with the simple thing not calling people homers or haters anymore. Nothing else has to change immediately. But this would be a start.

Offering a hand here. :)
Let’s just follow rule number 8. No name calling at all, no insinuations, no ad hominems, no vulgar references and stick to respecting the right to all to state opinions no matter how different they are from your own. This is America and not China and free expression should be encouraged. If you dont like the opinion either provide a valid counter argument or ignore the thread. This is not rocket science.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
"Trolling" is not having a different opinion that is not popular. It's not arguing your position in the face of misrepresented facts.
"Trolling" is taking a position you don't really believe simply to annoy someone else.
You can tell a "Troll" pretty easy. No matter what the subject, they follow certain posters into threads and disagree, and they usually start hurling insults quick, because they really have nothing intelligent to say.
But here at the zone, you get labeled as a troll simply because you won't agree with popular opinion. Your threads get moved or deleted because they don't go along with certain posters wishes.
100% agree. I have posted many opinions about the play of this team and and constantly called a troll despite the fact I have been a Dallas fan for 55 years. It is untrue. I actually think you should be benched for calling someone a troll because it is name calling and a violation of rule 8. People that disagree with you are not trolls and should not be called trolls. If people were benched for doing so, there would be fewer people calling names and calling people trolls.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
By the way…this is a great post and I like the points contained therein. Just a little bit of civility and common sense goes a long way.
Bingo…all opinions should be welcome and respected. Just common sense people. If you dont like the thread then ignore it. No one is forcing us to read certain threads. Or just ignore members if you cannot be civil.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
the other term of choice is having an “agenda”…..it’s permeating many of the conversations. We don’t know what in each other’s minds yet some assign nefarious or non football biases toward a poster.

Many of us do view performances differently and do apply critical thinking such as strength of opponent and other simply do not. The lions game is a perfect example. 190 passing yards and 1 TD against the lions can be views critically while doing the same against the Bills defense should be viewed positively.

that’s where civil debate should exist without the derogatory terms and insults. I can say that I dislike no one here and don’t have a single person on ignore.
Bingo, way too much derogatory language and name calling. Even calling others trolls for an opinion that you dont agree with should get you benched. Let’s let free speech flourish on here.

VABoyz

Reaction score
Some people are who they are and think how they think. i cant imagine coming to a message board with the thought of trying to change some grown *** person's mind about what THEY think about the cowboys. some people are super dug in on their perceptions and opinions and honestly thats their right. it aint that serious here so who cares. you can show some people a mountain of evidence one way or another and they will still die with their opinions. thats just how some are wired and sometimes a few wanna be antagonist. my best advice is the ignore button and simply DON'T go into a thread you don't like or respect. its the INTERNET, you don't have to be here. its a choice! ive been on these cowboys sites for about 15 years and there has always been these kind of issues. you just have to work around it or ignore it because you can best believe that there are some people who come to the board strictly to bully, try to force opinions and be difficult to anybody that doesnt agree with them. its actually insane sometimes LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

Here are some serious suggestions to avoid getting the bench:
  • Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • The constant criticism and nit-picking of your fellow fans is tiresome.
  • We’re not here to win arguments. We’re here to offer opinions.
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!

100% without question the biggest issue is the Dak trolls hijacking non Dak threads. They arent here to root for the team or football discussions. They are just here to spew hatred and piss off the rest of the forum. THATS IT!

So until you put some controls on that element we have to assume you like all of it.

A simple solution would be to make a rule that posters cannot hijack a thread topic by turning into a Dak thread. Anyone trying to turn a non Dak topic into a Dak thread gets a warning and benchings. Just make it a rule. And that should go for any Dak fan doing the same thing.

You want some of the hatred gone, I would start there.

Keep the Dak stuff in the Dak threads ONLY.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I’m writing this to try and reduce some of the unnecessary vitriol and occasional trolling that pops up on our great forum from time to time that can be easily avoided and make this forum even better for everyone. Probably 90-95% of our members show respect at all times so just trying to increase the respect meter around here.

Let me say upfront, we encourage everyone’s opinions about the Cowboys. Having a variety of opinions is what makes this place interesting. What we don’t encourage is name calling, race-baiting, insults, and general immature, trolling behavior. We are Cowboys fans, not e-girls fans.

Here are some serious suggestions to avoid getting the bench:
  • Once you’ve made the same argument time and time again, and many people have disagreed with that same basic argument, there’s no need to just keep making it over and over and over. At some point, we can all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Very few people dug in an opinion are going to suddenly say, “Wow, that 13th time you made that same point, I saw the light.”
  • The constant criticism and nit-picking of your fellow fans is tiresome.
  • We’re not here to win arguments. We’re here to offer opinions.
  • Once you start calling people names or insulting them, you’ve already lost whatever points you wanted to make.
  • If you don’t like someone’s thread, instead of insulting them and the topic, just don’t post on it. The fastest way to kill a thread is to avoid it. They usually die a quick death that way.
Finally- Sometimes there’s a fine line between sharing an opinion repeatedly and trolling. If we all stopped trying to “own” or “school” someone rather than respect them, this place would be so much better than it already is.

I appreciate our forum and every single Cowboys fan who posts here. In the end, there’s so much more we have in common than the things we disagree on around here.

Let’s Go Cowboys!!!
Another great post.

To be clear I like Dak. Forever.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This board used to be my unequivocal number 1 spot to go to for Cowboys information for years but that changed when the Cowboys YouTube community came to the forefront. Now I stop in here once or twice a week to see what folks are saying. The problem with all message board is the there is no civility, it so impersonal that anyone will say anything with out repercussions of what would happen face to face.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This! Make one dedicated thread for the Dak haters because that’s all they want to talk about. It could be sort of like the kiddie pool for the two year olds.

Yep, the little band of haters can have a field day every day all by themselves over on the Dak bashing thread. That would clear up the main board real quick. I bet it would clear out the trolls fast also.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yep, the little band of haters can have a field day every day all by themselves over on the Dak bashing thread. That would clear up the main board real quick. I bet it would clear out the trolls fast also.

And when they come over to the other Dak thread everyone just ignores them…

USArmyVet

Reaction score
100% without question the biggest issue is the Dak trolls hijacking non Dak threads. They arent here to root for the team or football discussions. They are just here to spew hatred and piss off the rest of the forum. THATS IT!

So until you put some controls on that element we have to assume you like all of it.

A simple solution would be to make a rule that posters cannot hijack a thread topic by turning into a Dak thread. Anyone trying to turn a non Dak topic into a Dak thread gets a warning and benchings. Just make it a rule. And that should go for any Dak fan doing the same thing.

...or perhaps with not using the term trolls or haters as several have mentioned on here already.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Its the ones who talk like they know more than the next poster, we all sitting home watching the same game with less than average eyes for the game. When people state opinions as they facts, and continue with the stance, then it becomes trolling.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Thing is though, you guys are being afraid of your own shadows by now. You see a Dak hijacking everywhere. For example, if someone says "Dak couldn't connect with Amari anymore" in the what if Amari was still here thread, you march in like the seventh army and start defending your boy Dak, even though no one ever declared a war on him. Just relax ffs, and let people have their discussions. I bet you couldn't even stay out of that "kiddie pool" you were suggesting for a single day.

You guys literally just hijacked this thread even though it wasn't about Dak. You 're always taking the bait even when there's no fishing rod in the water.

Last edited:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Oh great and powerful Oz ..... Can we still use Dakstabber? It's new and hip.