Origins of Garrett as head coach

irving

Reaction score
The NFL has always had a nepotism problem and they probably always will. Fact is Garrett was never qualified to become the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. But as we well know credentials do not always matter when it comes to coaching positions in the NFL.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Im watching 30 for 30 on parcells and belicheck. Its magnifying why garrett is so garbage. Belicheck said Parcells controlled everything on the sideline. Weasel says its all Kellen Moore and Richard. Then you have goofies like @Idgit throwing pot shots at Parcells playoff record in dallas to defend garrett. Ridiculous garbage. Get another MAN in here to coach.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Im watching 30 for 30 on parcells and belicheck. Its magnifying why garrett is so garbage. Belicheck said Parcells controlled everything on the sideline. Weasel says its all Kellen Moore and Richard. Then you have goofies like @Idgit throwing pot shots at Parcells playoff record in dallas to defend garrett. Ridiculous garbage. Get another MAN in here to coach.
Exactly. Remember the “wrong cleats” game that Jason claimed wasn’t his problem? Parcells would be on the field 2 hours before game day trying to figure out all those little weather / wind : equipment issues himself. Jason doesn’t even consider that part of his job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm a fan of Parcells in Dallas. Please don’t try to make me responsible for your own twisted understanding of something I actually said. Thanks.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Was Garretf a response to Jones missing out on Sean Payton? Payton was a Cowboys assistant from 2003 to 2005. Then he took the Saints job started off kind of slow (10 wins, then 7, then 8) then had a 13-3 season in 2009. Then Garret became the Cowboys head coach in 2010. It kind of seemed like Jones realized he wiffed on Payton and tried to get his own Payton in hiring Garrett.

Meanwhile Jones had gone through 4 head coaches in 11 years, something very uncharacteristic for this franchise.

I think Jones was dead set and having some young brilliant mind who he was going to be patient with. I assume his thinking was that continuity was better than trying to always find lightning in a bottle with a new coach hire. Hey it took Landry several years didnt it?

If all those assumptions are right, I do respect Jones big picture plan. It just didnt work. He probably waited 2 years too long to make the move we are all assuming and hoping he will soon.

Frankly I am excited to see what comes next. I wonder what his thinking will be now. He is 75, that has to factor in to things. I bet he reverts back to a recently very successful college coach since he wants to make a quick splash and thats what got him the 3 championships he did get (Johnson, Switzer)

As a Michigan fan I detest Urban Myer, but somehow think JJ will do all he can to get him.
Comparing Jason Garrett to any HC with experience is a joke. He was signed by Jones as HC in waiting before hiring a HC. His experience before this was 1 year as a QB Coach.

Now see you current OC. Boy Genius had a grand total of 1 year as a QB Coach before given the same learn on the job experience Garrett had from the same Dumbo GM.

Look at the coaches you named experience before becoming a HC then compare to Jason Garrett and you will laugh like the rest of the league laughs behind Jerry Jones back.

I do not respect anything done by Jerry Jones concerning football on the field. He is about him, his money, and his *** being kissed.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You never brought up Parcells record to defend Garrett? Lets be clear on this
I'm a fan of Parcells in Dallas. Please don’t try to make me responsible for your own twisted understanding of something I actually said. Thanks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You never brought up Parcells record to defend Garrett? Lets be clear on this

I have no idea. I’ve had a lot of posts on the subject of defending Garrett from stupid criticisms. If you want to refer to an argument I actually made, feel free to link to it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I have no idea. I’ve had a lot of posts on the subject of defending Garrett from stupid criticisms. If you want to refer to an argument I actually made, feel free to link to it.
Is it a stupid criticism to say that he doesnt control every aspect of gameday decisions like Parcells did? Go ahead and humor me.

CB61

Reaction score
Was Garretf a response to Jones missing out on Sean Payton? Payton was a Cowboys assistant from 2003 to 2005. Then he took the Saints job started off kind of slow (10 wins, then 7, then 8) then had a 13-3 season in 2009. Then Garret became the Cowboys head coach in 2010. It kind of seemed like Jones realized he wiffed on Payton and tried to get his own Payton in hiring Garrett.

Meanwhile Jones had gone through 4 head coaches in 11 years, something very uncharacteristic for this franchise.

I think Jones was dead set and having some young brilliant mind who he was going to be patient with. I assume his thinking was that continuity was better than trying to always find lightning in a bottle with a new coach hire. Hey it took Landry several years didnt it?

If all those assumptions are right, I do respect Jones big picture plan. It just didnt work. He probably waited 2 years too long to make the move we are all assuming and hoping he will soon.

Frankly I am excited to see what comes next. I wonder what his thinking will be now. He is 75, that has to factor in to things. I bet he reverts back to a recently very successful college coach since he wants to make a quick splash and thats what got him the 3 championships he did get (Johnson, Switzer)

As a Michigan fan I detest Urban Myer, but somehow think JJ will do all he can to get him.
Well I've posted about Sean Payton and the Cowboys job several times on here and got shot down but I will say it again he could have offered Sean Payton the assistant head coach job with the understanding when Parcells left he would take over ? Now there were several key factors that probably play doubt in letting him go first of all it was for a head coaching job Jones was happy with Parcells at the time but he had his chance to keep him now would Peyton have stayed I don't know? Essentially he was the assistant head coach even if he didn't have the title and we don't know exactly what transpired but the whole thing may be Peyton was offered that and didn't want to? I don't really know the answer but personally if I was Jones I would have tried to get him to stay and some capacity that would have satisfied him. As far as the success he had initially and then faltered he definitely had to rebuild that team they were in Dire Straits when he took over the first thing he did was bringing in Drew Brees that everybody else thought was washed up because of injury? That seemed to be the general consensus around the NFL at the time but there were 31 other teams that were dead wrong about that and yes I'm sure some of them weren't interested in the quarterback at that time but we were imagine that

CB61

Reaction score
Well I've posted about Sean Payton and the Cowboys job several times on here and got shot down but I will say it again he could have offered Sean Payton the assistant head coach job with the understanding when Parcells left he would take over ? Now there were several key factors that probably play doubt in letting him go first of all it was for a head coaching job Jones was happy with Parcells at the time but he had his chance to keep him now would Peyton have stayed I don't know? Essentially he was the assistant head coach even if he didn't have the title and we don't know exactly what transpired but the whole thing may be Peyton was offered that and didn't want to? I don't really know the answer but personally if I was Jones I would have tried to get him to stay and some capacity that would have satisfied him. As far as the success he had initially and then faltered he definitely had to rebuild that team they were in Dire Straits when he took over the first thing he did was bringing in Drew Brees that everybody else thought was washed up because of injury? That seemed to be the general consensus around the NFL at the time but there were 31 other teams that were dead wrong about that and yes I'm sure some of them weren't interested in the quarterback at that time but we were imagine that
And just so we set the record straight I don't know everything about football I only post from what I see and what I remember there's been a lot of decisions the Dallas Cowboys have made that have gone horribly wrong I still say letting Jimmy Johnson go was the first mistake question mark now was he going to coach forever no but he had this team set up for a dynasty or one hell of a run at it and somebody messed it up horribly

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it a stupid criticism to say that he doesnt control every aspect of gameday decisions like Parcells did? Go ahead and humor me.

I don’t know that either of us have the details to know if that’s true or isn’t. Parcells definitely has the more controlling personality type, if that’s what you’re asking.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett was all about hiring and grooming a Puppett who if we had success wouldn’t take all of the credit which Jerry has been pursuing since Jimmy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Cowboy fans are depending on a great HC to come in and save us from Jerry, we are screwed. Lol

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don’t know that either of us have the details to know if that’s true or isn’t. Parcells definitely has the more controlling personality type, if that’s what you’re asking.
Garrett just told you Kellen controls the offense :facepalm:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If Cowboy fans are depending on a great HC to come in and save us from Jerry, we are screwed. Lol
Parcells did save us. Thats why you Garrett fans cant comprehend. He just didnt see it to the end. Garrett benefited from players Parcells got. His little buddies Witten and Romo were from the guy who saved us. Jerry was the owner still