Origins of Garrett as head coach

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This may be crazy but Garrett is a product of a good education plus being able to talk like a robot with positive conviction. Seriously! Think about it, if you met him and he shook your hand, looked you in the eye and started talking his football philosophy you’d be sold at first. I always said that if Garrett spoke and handled himself like Rex Ryan, he would have been fired years ago. He handles himself like you think a success should do it so it tricks you. Jerry gets sold on this “solid, hard working kid” but he doesn’t know how to coach overall

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This may be crazy but Garrett is a product of a good education plus being able to talk like a robot with positive conviction. Seriously! Think about it, if you met him and he shook your hand, looked you in the eye and started talking his football philosophy you’d be sold at first. I always said that if Garrett spoke and handled himself like Rex Ryan, he would have been fired years ago. He handles himself like you think a success should do it so it tricks you. Jerry gets sold on this “solid, hard working kid” but he doesn’t know how to coach overall
The Princeton politician

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Parcells did save us. Thats why you Garrett fans cant comprehend. He just didnt see it to the end. Garrett benefited from players Parcells got. His little buddies Witten and Romo were from the guy who saved us. Jerry was the owner still
But Jerry still meddled preventing the job from getting done.

I’d argue it’s a false hope there’s a similar scenario now. Jerry doesn’t need a new stadium built.

Regardless it’s doubtful If a HC like Bill couldn’t overcome no one probably can.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Princeton politician
He’s been the perfect Puppet for Jerry. And why Jerry’s so upset he’s going to have to let him go.

If you don’t understand why Garretts still here then you don’t understand what’s driving Jerry’s passions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is I've seen you bring up parcells playoff resume in dallas to defend that piece of garbage coach. That speaks volumes.

Still don’t know which discussion you’re referencing, so it’s hard to reply to you here. I probably did point out in some context that Garrett’s playoff record was better than Parcells’ in Dallas. But it wouldn’t have been a swipe at Parcells necessarily. Though I can easily imagine you overreacting as if it were. But that’s more a commentary on you, and on your posting style.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Garretf a response to Jones missing out on Sean Payton? Payton was a Cowboys assistant from 2003 to 2005. Then he took the Saints job started off kind of slow (10 wins, then 7, then 8) then had a 13-3 season in 2009. Then Garret became the Cowboys head coach in 2010. It kind of seemed like Jones realized he wiffed on Payton and tried to get his own Payton in hiring Garrett.

Meanwhile Jones had gone through 4 head coaches in 11 years, something very uncharacteristic for this franchise.

I think Jones was dead set and having some young brilliant mind who he was going to be patient with. I assume his thinking was that continuity was better than trying to always find lightning in a bottle with a new coach hire. Hey it took Landry several years didnt it?

If all those assumptions are right, I do respect Jones big picture plan. It just didnt work. He probably waited 2 years too long to make the move we are all assuming and hoping he will soon.

Frankly I am excited to see what comes next. I wonder what his thinking will be now. He is 75, that has to factor in to things. I bet he reverts back to a recently very successful college coach since he wants to make a quick splash and thats what got him the 3 championships he did get (Johnson, Switzer)

As a Michigan fan I detest Urban Myer, but somehow think JJ will do all he can to get him.
It was OK until the last time Garrett's contract was renewed.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You can defend garrett without bringing up a clearly superior coach no matter the context. But thats what you do with Garrett. Defend by any means even if you have to point out what a hall of fame coach didnt do
Still don’t know which discussion you’re referencing, so it’s hard to reply to you here. I probably did point out in some context that Garrett’s playoff record was better than Parcells’ in Dallas. But it wouldn’t have been a swipe at Parcells necessarily. Though I can easily imagine you overreacting as if it were. But that’s more a commentary on you, and on your posting style.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"ORIGINS OF GARRETT AS HEAD COACH"
3kh76v.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Jones always regretted pulling the plug too early on Chan Gailey who was doing some great things with the offense before injuries to the WRs. We had a top 5 offense under Garrett, and Jerry did not want to lose that. Garrett was getting interviews, and reportedly a couple of offers from other teams. Jerry paid him big money to hang around as OC and then made him head coach. It’s as simple as that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can defend garrett without bringing up a clearly superior coach no matter the context. But thats what you do with Garrett. Defend by any means even if you have to point out what a hall of fame coach didnt do

It all depends on the criticism and the context. Which is why I can so easily sidestep your silly line of argument here.

Like I said above, if you want to cite a prior discussion, just link the thread. It’s not hard.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
FYI....I absolutely hate everything about Bill Parcells from his days as coach of the Giants.
I hated every minute his fat self was stuffed in a Dallas sweater on the same sidelines Tom Landry walked.
I don’t and won’t attack him as a coach...I just cannot stand him and was happy his stay in Dallas was brief and without a single playoff win.

Facts are there are no great champion coaches without great teams of great players.
Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Belichick and others were failures everywhere other than the one team with the right players and leaders. Coaching absolutely matters, but Parcells won nothing except in NY with a great defense led by the best OLB ever. Johnson won in Dallas with Jerry spending money on whatever was needed until the salary cap era, and he was a failure in Miami. Belichick was a Failure in Cleveland.

Players can’t win without the right coach, and coaches can’t win without the right players. Everything must fall into place perfectly, sometimes for only one year, to win a SB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Good ole' Nepotism..

The Jones' aren't the only "Football Family" involved in screwing over the team:

https://thedallasprospect.com/failing-forward-brief-history-nepotism-jason-garrett/

One of the few discussions about it by poster @Galian Beast :
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/garrett-family-nepotism-and-pyramid-scheme.393958/

Highly recommend the article. A detailed Garrett football chronology starting from highschool.

I didn't know how Garrett's college career was made possible by his coaching father, and that's how he got originally signed with the Cowboys as well. Money shot from Jerry:
“I’m just so comfortable with his family,” Jones said in a Dallas Morning News article, “I know Jason so well. From Jim and John and all the others, the thing that I want you to understand is how much I value their judgment.”​

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Although there is nothing new in either article and though many CZ members have discussed Jason's background, I can only conclude that Garrett is a supreme example of the Peter Principle. He has advanced way, way beyond his capabilities.

Had it not been for nepotism, Garrett would likely be teaching high school social studies now.

No where in his history has Garrett remotely demonstrated the "boy genius" traits so eagerly sought after by new age owners, no where has he demonstrated the ability to learn and evolve as a coach and, no where has he demonstrated the ability to build a team.

Put simply, Garrett is a result of JJ's hubris and self delusional belief that he could create a coaching legend.

There was a book written in the 1800's that captures what Jerry has tried to do - it's called "Frankenstein" and we all know how it ended.

Jerrystein's Monster.

The "boy genius" legend around Garrett is built up entirely around his Ivy League degree. Many are *way* too easily impressed by that.

Going by press conferences, Garrett is ordinary middle management. Going by his game management, he's smart enough to rationalize idiotic dogmas to himself, and double down on them when they blow up in his face. A football IYI.

Zman5

Reaction score
Parcells did save us. Thats why you Garrett fans cant comprehend. He just didnt see it to the end. Garrett benefited from players Parcells got. His little buddies Witten and Romo were from the guy who saved us. Jerry was the owner still

Don't forget about DWare. He was also drafted by Parcells.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
If that was his design, he was doing it wrong. Payton at least went through his learning phase with seven years of NFL assistant coaching experience (plus an additional five in college) before getting a head coaching job. Garrett was a quarterbacks coach for a year and had his hand held for a year with Sparano, then two seasons under Phillips before he stabbed him in the back.

….and he didn't learn anything from any of the above.