Orlando Browns wants a trade, is Tyron Smith and our 2nd enough?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I like Brown, but I'm not even sure he could beat Tyron out of the position. It would have to be injury related because otherwise Tyron is the better of the two players. People make too big a deal out of Tyron's age and injury history. Out of 166 possible games he's played in 133, made 7 Pro Bowls, and two time first team all-pro and is only 30 years old. That's not old in OL years and the injury that has nagged him for years has been surgically repaired in the off season. After 10 seasons in the league, he just got the longest vacation to heal up and get his body right of his life. I appear to be in the minority, but Smith and the entire offensive line are what I'm most excited about in 2021.

exciter

Reaction score
Who can draft at 10 that is better the a pro bowler like Orlando Brown? The draft guys are maybes. Brown has proven himself.
He’s limited as a LT, too heavy, 2 years of his rookie contract are already used, there are several player, all but one will be available at 10, that have potential to be really good players on that side and are a more natural fit. Browns size and slow feet are going to eventually be an issue and it won’t be long!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He is not as good as 75%Smith ....... Only an idiot Would even want this.

quickccc

Reaction score
Our new starting LT will be La'el Collins. When Smith can no longer go, Collins will be switched to his natural side to take over. If Smith either retires before the season or gets hurt during it, we can kick Martin out to RT, move Collins to LT and go with Williams, Biadasz and McGovern inside. Knight might also be in play at guard or at RT. I'd like to see Williams in play at one of the tackle spots as well, but I'm not sure he will be.

The last thing we need to do right now is spend more premium resources on the offensive line. We've still got a first-round pick at LT as long as he can go, a first-rounder at RG, a second-rounder at LG, a RT on a substantial contract and a third-rounder at guard.

The only real question IMO concerns the health of Collins. If his problem is something that he's not likely to bounce back from and start for several more years, then getting another starting lineman becomes a higher priority.

- While I could see moving the natural southpaw Lael Collins to LT ,… I don’t think it’s a good idea of moving RG Zack Martin to permanent RT.

- I thought we had no choice with Martin to RT, when bodies such as Collins and Irving went down, leaving Knight as the only reserve and he had to play LT at that
while starting rookie Terrence Steele was utterly horrible and was just not improving.

- That was an emergency level red situation, and a last resort. I’m not for moving Martin from into that phone booth, to on an Island on a permanent basis.
Martin is getting that much older and he’s becoming injured more often at this age and stage of his career to have to full 16 starting basis at that.
And i'd strongly prefer to keep him inside at his best position, especially at this later stage.

- Plus I’d much chance it with Williams at starting RT, with moving McGovern at LG while keeping Martin firmly entrenched at his RG spot.
Another angle is I still want to know how OL coach Joe Philibin feels about McGovern long term wise, as I only got the sense that McGovernor only got
playing time with all the injuries and role switching.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
There's no guarantee that 2nd rounder will even make this team let alone help this year though.

That's been our problem whiffing on tops picks. AND if you have a 2nd round pick not making the team period (not starting) but getting cut, then somebody head's need to roll.

Rayman70

Reaction score
as much as I would LOVE Brown, the price is too costly. Draft picks are currency in the NFL and in a rebuild on D, I am not parting with any. Especially when we can get us a much cheaper LT in the draft, and still keep Tyron.

Adreme

Reaction score
I am not sure the Ravens would take that trade. They have a two-time Pro Bowl player on the last year of his rookie deal who has had zero injury issues to speak of. Those types of players get MASSIVE hauls if recent history is any sign.

Edit: That is also a lot of money for the Ravens to put out for an oft injured Right Tackle (they already signed their future LT to a massive deal).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
- While I could see moving the natural southpaw Lael Collins to LT ,… I don’t think it’s a good idea of moving RG Zack Martin to permanent RT.

- I thought we had no choice with Martin to RT, when bodies such as Collins and Irving went down, leaving Knight as the only reserve and he had to play LT at that
while starting rookie Terrence Steele was utterly horrible and was just not improving.

- That was an emergency level red situation, and a last resort. I’m not for moving Martin from into that phone booth, to on an Island on a permanent basis.
Martin is getting that much older and he’s becoming injured more often at this age and stage of his career to have to full 16 starting basis at that.
And i'd strongly prefer to keep him inside at his best position, especially at this later stage.

- Plus I’d much chance it with Williams at starting RT, with moving McGovern at LG while keeping Martin firmly entrenched at his RG spot.
Another angle is I still want to know how OL coach Joe Philibin feels about McGovern long term wise, as I only got the sense that McGovernor only got

I'd like to see us try Williams at tackle because I don't think there's any way he gets another contract with us at guard, especially if both Martin and McGovern are playing guard.

However, much like Larry Allen, I think Martin could be quite good at tackle and would have no issues with Dallas moving him there, especially if Collins can handle left tackle.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

100%
And something peeps might reject, or not think about: That old boy in Philly that was a great OL and they switched him to T because of injury and he said: Nope. Pay like a T and I'll play T?

Zack is no joke and doesn't joke about his pay.
We just don't care because his play is amazing.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Where do you guys get this sudden urge to give away costly 2nd round picks, especially on a much older player?

HARD PASS.
I know a 16 year old starting tackle at the local high school, I mean if he's not too aged for you. The guy Twenty-Four years old...

J817

Reaction score
I'd ship J. Smith, LVE and X. Woods for him (dont correct me on who's under contract or not)

I like the way you think. I would add Chris Jones and that undrafted rookie who “attempted” to be RT in there to entice them as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
ok, you are parting with one of the best at his position and he could be healthy. You spend a second round pick which is a much higher probability to stick and help the team on a rookie contract. Then you will have to pay said stud in the near future that has already said he wants what he wants.

None of that is a good idea or conducive to rebuild a championship roster.

Where is the risk though? Only thing you mentioned was a 2nd round pick that could bust? Jerry's money isn't a risk.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'd like to see us try Williams at tackle because I don't think there's any way he gets another contract with us at guard, especially if both Martin and McGovern are playing guard.

However, much like Larry Allen, I think Martin could be quite good at tackle and would have no issues with Dallas moving him there, especially if Collins can handle left tackle.

Larry Allen was at a young age when we tried him at RT. I'm not for changing Martin who will be 31 yr age this year .. to a full time role at OT
And as mentioned before, we dunno how Philibin feels about McGovern starting as there was questions why he was reluctant to turn to him
at the beginning. If not for all the emergency injuries and turning wheels, McGovern would have never even got on the field.

what has to be done is we have to have much better options than having to turn to martin to play RT ,..and Steele having to fill in at RT, or any OT.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Brandon McKnight was good enough for Andy Dalton then he should be just fine for a QB who is set to earn 30+million more this year. We can't waste more resources propping up a QB and then wonder why the defense struggles to compete at a middle school jv level.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Brandon McKnight was good enough for Andy Dalton then he should be just fine for a QB who is set to earn 30+million more this year. We can't waste more resources propping up a QB and then wonder why the defense struggles to compete at a middle school jv level.

Knight is not good enough to be a full time starter- he's a reserve..he's an emergency reserve. He's a last resort.
Hope you're not thinking of placing that kind of lower tier quality for our starting QBs ?