Signed by Cowboys OTs Baldwin and Cameron Bradfield added and OT Charles Brown goes On Retired List

RS12

Reaction score
I really hope Chaz steps up because the backup T spot looks a little shaky. Hate see them have to move Martin or Collins out there in an emergency.

NewsBot

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys have made a couple of changes to the offensive tackle position, which includes the retirement of last year’s swing tackle.

Continue reading...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys announced Tuesday that they have placed OT Charles Brown on the reserve/retired list and waived OT David Hedelin.

The Cowboys also signed offensive tackles Darryl Baldwin and Cameron Bradfield to contracts.

Read More
http://nfltraderumors.co/cowboys-place-ot-charles-brown-retired-list-add-two-offensive-tackles/

Makes me think more and more that our backup plan at tackle is going to be our two guards who can play the position better than any of the reserve tackles we have.

Leary and Looney make us fairly solid on interior backups, but unless Green makes a jump in his second season, we're way too shaky behind Smith and Free.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Makes me think more and more that our backup plan at tackle is going to be our two guards who can play the position better than any of the reserve tackles we have.

Leary and Looney make us fairly solid on interior backups, but unless Green makes a jump in his second season, we're way too shaky behind Smith and Free.

Martin and Collins can be good tackles at RT if needed. Frankly I rather them swing out than Chaz Green.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Martin and Collins can be good tackles at RT if needed. Frankly I rather them swing out than Chaz Green.

At this point, I agree. If Green shows he can handle it and be the future at right tackle, then I'd rather not disturb the rest of the line and just insert him. However, I want the best protection on the field even if that means Martin goes to right tackle and Leary comes in at right guard if Free gets hurt or Collins goes to left tackle and Leary to left guard if Smith gets hurt.

Leary has shown that he's a starting guard (and frankly, I can't explain why some team wasn't willing to give up a pick for him other than his degenerative knee condition), so we need to take advantage of having six capable starters if we're put in a situation where we need to do that.

One thing I'm curious about is Leary's ability to play tackle. He started out at Memphis as a backup tackle, then made 36 consecutive starts at left tackle before moving to left guard during his senior year because of injuries. Since Dallas knows he's a backup this year, I wonder if the team will give him practice time at the tackle spots to help justify dressing him for games. If Dallas takes seven linemen to games, then Leary could play guard and tackle and Looney could play center and guard.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yesterday Ron Leary tweeted about doing whats best for him.

has anyone heard more on this, I wonder if he is not showing up to camp? Without good tackle play and leary the second unit on offense all summer will be terrible which in turn means the backup qb's and wr will never get any usefull work in the preseason because they cant block, which not to complain but has been a serious issue since Jason Garrett has taken over. The second and third unit's in the preseason are not competitive because of how poor the talent is.

To me this is a real problem people do not talk about. All those 2nd team guys need the work desperately.

Verdict

Reaction score
The selection of Green was a bit peculiar at the time it was made. I think the organization got a bit of a pass in selecting him because of its success in drafting stud OL (in the first round). If we whiffed on green that one will leave a mark. IIRC there were several players available that were linked to us who were fairly highly regarded when we passed on that opportunity and too Green. I hope it works out for us in the long run.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The selection of Green was a bit peculiar at the time it was made. I think the organization got a bit of a pass in selecting him because of its success in drafting stud OL (in the first round). If we whiffed on green that one will leave a mark. IIRC there were several players available that were linked to us who were fairly highly regarded when we passed on that opportunity and too Green. I hope it works out for us in the long run.

I am still confused why TJ clemmings wasn't a more favorable guy? He is the backup tackle in Minnesota but he played well last year. He played all 16 games last year at right tackle.

He seems like a guy that would be a perfect swing guy here and potential to take over for Free in a year or so.

Not for nothing but the Vikings made the playoffs last year with Joe Berger starting at center and clemmings at right tackle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yesterday Ron Leary tweeted about doing whats best for him.

has anyone heard more on this, I wonder if he is not showing up to camp? Without good tackle play and leary the second unit on offense all summer will be terrible which in turn means the backup qb's and wr will never get any usefull work in the preseason because they cant block, which not to complain but has been a serious issue since Jason Garrett has taken over. The second and third unit's in the preseason are not competitive because of how poor the talent is.

To me this is a real problem people do not talk about. All those 2nd team guys need the work desperately.

I have to wonder if Leary can afford to risk being fined for missing time in training camp. Given that he's shown up for the mandatory stuff, I expect that he will be there. I don't being a 'bad apple' will do him any favors in drawing interest elsewhere.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I have to wonder if Leary can afford to risk being fined for missing time in training camp. Given that he's shown up for the mandatory stuff, I expect that he will be there. I don't being a 'bad apple' will do him any favors in drawing interest elsewhere.

Well, I think it could possibly work in his favor. It seems that's the way they do things in this industry........holding out is the norm.

A dude who doesn't show up...........obviously doesn't want to be there. Price may go down a little cause he wants out and wants to be available.

JMO, of course.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
But in Leary's case if does not go to TC, is inactive for 14 games his value will stink.

Teams want a player to put the drama behind them, even if Looney will take away his snaps, swing OG status.