Our DE need

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrell McClain is a good football player, and he finally managed to stay on the field for most of last season for a change, but I don't see him returning.

There's the injury issues, McClain's age, and the team opted to pay Cedric Thornton instead of looking to extend a player they already knew and liked.

McClain and Thornton will both turn 29 during the summer, that's too much age for a position that plays less than the rest of the DL.

McClain, the incumbent, played 44.6% of the snaps and notched 2.5 sacks and 3 TFLs.

Thornton, a new addition, played 26.3% of the snaps and recorded 1.5 sacks and 3 TFLs.

I'm comfortable that Thornton will continue to grow in the scheme and play better. And while he may not be asked to play 45% of the snaps next season, his participation will go up a good bit.

I'd spend the money needed to re-sign McClain on a free agent RDE, which is a bigger positional concern, and then look to add a rookie NT to groom behind Thornton.

Thornton's trash.

I've read it on this forum, so it must be true.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Cowboys fans I promise you I'm coming back with a bigger bladder and better than ever. Surgery went great!
I would view these two as pick ups that cover holes in our team. THere's no reason to reach for a DE just let em come to ya.
Draft one early. Draft a CB early safety

waving monkey

Reaction score
Terrell McClain is a good football player, and he finally managed to stay on the field for most of last season for a change, but I don't see him returning.

There's the injury issues, McClain's age, and the team opted to pay Cedric Thornton instead of looking to extend a player they already knew and liked.

McClain and Thornton will both turn 29 during the summer, that's too much age for a position that plays less than the rest of the DL.

McClain, the incumbent, played 44.6% of the snaps and notched 2.5 sacks and 3 TFLs.

Thornton, a new addition, played 26.3% of the snaps and recorded 1.5 sacks and 3 TFLs.

I'm comfortable that Thornton will continue to grow in the scheme and play better. And while he may not be asked to play 45% of the snaps next season, his participation will go up a good bit.

I'd spend the money needed to re-sign McClain on a free agent RDE, which is a bigger positional concern, and then look to add a rookie NT to groom behind Thornton.
Though I agree with your post I'd draft another D1

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Either Risen Star got talked to, he's got a new shtick, or he's friends with Gregory... something is going on.

But that being said, I agree that DL in the first isn't something that needs to be forced. An actual healthy Lawrence and the addition of Tapper is somewhat of a boost. Collins with a year of experience, ditto for Irving, will be some improvement. And they'll likely add a piece at some point in the draft.

But a complete overhaul isn't happening.

We likely roll with Mayowa, Lawrence, Tapper, rookie DE, Collins, Crawford, Thornton, Irving, McClain (possibly brought back or another low level signing).

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If we roll with the same Dline plus a rookie DE, expect the same or worse results then last year. Dline must improve significantly to make it deep in the playoffs.

I just can't see any significant improvement coming from tank, mayowa, Irving, Ryan Anderson ect. Hey but if it happens, I'll be pleasantly shocked!

Go cowboys

Bluefin

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys owner and 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Jerry Jones recently joined ESPN Dallas 103.3's J Dub City to talk all things football. Here are some highlights:

Does Dallas have to have a big time pass rusher to return to the Super Bowl?

Jones: I don't know [about] big time, but we need more pressure. And we can get that. But we've got to come to grips with how we're going to get it.

You can get it by compromising the fundamentals of other places on your defense by, in effect, blitzing. But those are not our style. We really want a player to stay in there that defends the run, can hold the gap, as well as when called for crash the gap. So, we've got to make sure that we've got the personnel skills. We've really got it on campus, so to speak, in [DeMarcus] Lawrence and we've got it in [Randy] Gregory. They both are compromised as we sit here and speak, but they're both the type of players that we need out there.

On if he would go out and get a top pass rusher...

Jones: If I have a chance to bring one of these premiere pass rushers, one of these war daddies that takes two to block, if I have a chance to get a player like that - I would...it's not a question of that. It's a question of where is he? And who gives him up if he's a veteran, or where is he in the draft, or where is he anywhere? So, yeah we do need pressure. We're going to try to do something about it.

On where the defense can get better...

Jones: We have, in Jaylon Smith, a real improvement to our defense. He can play now if he starts now and has the kind of spring that you'd expect him to have. He can play, in my view, where he is. But I do expect him to improve with his nerve and even be more comfortable, but in my mind, he's capable of playing right now. He's a dramatic difference on the field. He's not necessarily your designated pass rusher, but I don't know that he can't be an outstanding pass rusher. He's outstanding every place else. Now this guy is - healthy - a No. 1 pick. So, right there we've got a chance to add a new face that makes a difference for us.

We've got some guys that are free agents that we need to sign. Then, we need to continue to develop players like [Charles] Tapper. We need to continue to see the evolving and developing of [David] Irving. And then we need to get [Tyrone] Crawford well. And we need to see the expected improvement in [Maliek] Collins inside - Terrell McClain had a good year there, and we need him.

Continue reading...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Either Risen Star got talked to, he's got a new shtick, or he's friends with Gregory... something is going on.

But that being said, I agree that DL in the first isn't something that needs to be forced. An actual healthy Lawrence and the addition of Tapper is somewhat of a boost. Collins with a year of experience, ditto for Irving, will be some improvement. And they'll likely add a piece at some point in the draft.

But a complete overhaul isn't happening.

We likely roll with Mayowa, Lawrence, Tapper, rookie DE, Collins, Crawford, Thornton, Irving, McClain (possibly brought back or another low level signing).
We don't have a RDE. That's the issue.

Lawrence is miscast there.

RS12

Reaction score
I dont trust either of those guys to stay healthy. I also am skeptical a difference making pass rusher will be there at 28.

bud914

Reaction score
It seems like most everyone considers DE to be the most critical need area on the team. It's not a want it's a must get. Early in the draft if not in FA and there doesn't look to be anyone realistic in FA. At least with all their fingers and toes.

Here's the deal though. It's not what you think. It's not what I think. It's what the team thinks that's going to actually shape our offseason.

I'm sure there will be a lot of eye rolling to those tweets but these are two recent draft picks. Lawrence has proven he can play in the league, Tapper hadn't had his chance to fail. There's no reason the Cowboys would feel any differently toward his talent now than they did a year ago drafting him in the 4th round. Both appear healthy and ready to go for next year medically.

So is it possible that while the entire Cowboys fan base views this offseason as pass rusher or bust that the team sees it differently? Not that they will have no interest in a pass rusher at some point but the need isn't nearly as critical as the fans believe it is.

Food for thought. Don't dismiss it. This could easily be true and lead to a lot of Coughlin faces on draft week.

on board with this since both have contributed so much so far

Bluefin

Reaction score
We don't have a RDE. That's the issue.

Lawrence is miscast there.

Agree on DeMarcus Lawrence.

Tank has built himself into a heavier player and fits much better at LDE now than RDE.

We do have a RDE in Benson Mayowa, but he is best suited to be being used in a tandem. Hopefully, Mayowa will continue to improve next season, but he needs to be paired with a veteran free agent RDE in order to get the production we need from the position.

That is line one when free agency begins.

I also am skeptical a difference making pass rusher will be there at 28.

There will definitely be a run on edge rushers in round one and the Cowboys could be left without one at #28.

That's why signing a veteran free agent is so important. It doesn't have to be a huge signing, either, just do something to make the position better than it was with Ryan Davis last season.

I want to draft a pass rusher, but I don't want to be forced to. Sign a free agent and then let the board dictate the draft selections while using others factors to break close calls.

Even if we select a RDE in the first round, it would be unlikely to see him make a big splash as a rookie. It's possible, but the impact would likely start to show up consistently in years two and three.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Completely agree with this and think people are getting their hopes too high. A lot of talk of going DE/DL rounds 1 and 2 in the draftzone and I think people are getting their hopes way too high

Lawrence
Mayowa
Tapper
Irving
Crawford
Thornton
Collins

Like it or not that's 7 guaranteed roster spots for DL right there and that's not counting McClain/whoever replaces him because we need DT's. So that's 8. We dress 8 or 9 most weeks and won't carry any more than 10. So basically be prepared to be disappointed...again.

That list is why playoff results are likely to be the same.

tm1119

Reaction score

How much do you think McClain is going to get paid?? The $ you save on McClain might get a 1/3 of a DE that can make an impact in free agency.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Completely agree with this and think people are getting their hopes too high. A lot of talk of going DE/DL rounds 1 and 2 in the draftzone and I think people are getting their hopes way too high.

Stephen Jones at the Senior Bowl:

“Well, we’ve been wanting to improve on that for several years now,” Stephen Jones said. “We’ve taken shots at it. A couple years ago we did, and it didn’t work out. We’re playing good, sound defense, but obviously, that’s our No. 1 priority, is to continue to try to get pressure on the passer. We’re big believers that it can certainly change the dynamic of your defense and therefore your football team. So we’ll continue to try to improve in that area.

Jerry Jones on the radio this week:

On if he would go out and get a top pass rusher...

Jones: If I have a chance to bring one of these premiere pass rushers, one of these war daddies that takes two to block, if I have a chance to get a player like that - I would...it's not a question of that. It's a question of where is he? And who gives him up if he's a veteran, or where is he in the draft, or where is he anywhere? So, yeah we do need pressure. We're going to try to do something about it.

-----

I don't know how the team will address the DL, re-sign their own, sign new guys, and/or the draft.

But they know help up front is needed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do have a RDE in Benson Mayowa, but he is best suited to be being used in a tandem. Hopefully, Mayowa will continue to improve next season, but he needs to be paired with a veteran free agent RDE in order to get the production we need from the position.

That is line one when free agency begins.

Team Mayowa with say Addision or Sheard and I think you have something.