Our first round picks...

Reaction score
raichledog;1912930 said:
That sounds like the deal of the century. I have heard rumors about that as well, but find it hard to imagine Detroit doing that. Roy is one of the top WR's in the game, why trade him? I understand he has a large cap number next year, and I get that they have Calvin Johnson as well, but to me, they would be crazy to deal Roy Williams.... that said we are talking about the Lions.

They dont want to get nothing for him if he walks. Even if he is franchised he moight walk the next year. They might as well get something in return for him

BigDave95

Reaction score
I don't get all the love for Malcolm Kelly. He disappeared in a lot of games and Iglesias looked like the best receiver on that team on several days. I'd take him at #22 but I'd much rather have Limas Sweed.

The only two CB's I'd take at #22 are Jenkins and Talib.

The only WR's I'd take are DeSean Jackson, Kelly, and Sweed.

And the only RB worth that pick is J Stewart.

If we got one of those six guys at #22, I'd be thrilled. Then fill the other holes at #29 and with the 2nd.

raichledog

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1912937 said:
They dont want to get nothing for him if he walks. Even if he is franchised he moight walk the next year. They might as well get something in return for him

I mean as a Cowboys fan I like the sound of that, but don't you think teams like to keep their best players? Roy Williams is probably the best football player on that team, do you think they will just let that go for a 2nd round draft choice? I can't imagine it, but I'd love to see it.

Reaction score
theogt;1912922 said:
What about 4th rounders that were projected as early 2nd rounders, but fall due to injury?

Here is some research Ive done...

Some people here (Not saying you) believe you can stick a late round pick in there and they will produce to be a starter at one of the most important positions on offense.

Sure there are some busts at LT in the first round but the upper echlon of LT's in the league are taken high.. Here are some examples....

Pace 1 rd 1 pick
Ogden 1 rd 4 pick
Samuels 1 rd 3 pick
T Thomas 1 rd 11 pick
W Jones 1 rd 6 pick
Jamaal Brown 1 rd 10 pick
B McKinnie 1 rd 7 pick
L Jones 1 rd 10 pick

Flozell 2 rd 38 pick
K Barnes 2 rd 52 pick
Joe Thomas 1 rd 3 pick
Levi Jones 1 rd 10 pick
D Ferguson 1 rd 4 pick

The stud LT's are taken in the first round. Not saying a later round pick can't play the position, just that chances are against them to play at a high level in this league. If you want to replace a pro bowl caliber LT in Flo, pick a LT in the first round or else watch Tony get Osi'd.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
You can do that with any position. Most of the high performers are going to be high draft picks. It's probably more true of LT than any other position because it's incredibly hard to find athletic guys with the size to play the position. But that doesn't mean you can't find guys that fit the description in late rounds. Free is more than athletic enough to play the position. He'd be a heckuva pass-blocker immediately, which is my biggest concern for a LT. His only question is whether he has the bulk and strength to get push in the running game. But again, that's a lesser concern. He could fill in and not be a "problem" like Torrin Tucker or Rob Petitti.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
raichledog;1912930 said:
That sounds like the deal of the century. I have heard rumors about that as well, but find it hard to imagine Detroit doing that. Roy is one of the top WR's in the game, why trade him? I understand he has a large cap number next year, and I get that they have Calvin Johnson as well, but to me, they would be crazy to deal Roy Williams.... that said we are talking about the Lions.
You have to look at the total WR picture in Detroit. They paid a huge amount for Calvin Johnson. The paid a lot for Mike Furrey. Sean McDonald is producing.

They can either tire up a fortune at WR or move one of those WRs to fill other needs.

It isn't about how good he is, it's about where they need to go.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
They'll probably want more than our 2nd rounder, though, because it's essentially a 3rd rounder. If the reports are true, then surely they'd take our late 1st rounder.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
theogt;1913009 said:
They'll probably want more than our 2nd rounder, though, because it's essentially a 3rd rounder. If the reports are true, then surely they'd take our late 1st rounder.

Here's some creative thinking for ya-- the Cowboys trade down into the early second round with their second first round pick, in the process picking up a third rounder... then they trade the early second round pick for Roy... in effect, they'd be getting Roy for the price of trading down from pick 29 to the early 3rd round...