Our FO’s offseason FA work summarized in a tweet

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What a surprise, they went cheap and thought it would work and it blew up in their face. The same can be seen with taking risks like drafting Jaylon Smith and LVE just to have it blow up in their face.

cern

Reaction score
So is that Jerry’s goal? Just to make money and not be in the red? I’d rather make the most money possible.
Money and size don't matter are two of the biggest lies in the world. Fortunately having a lot of the first overcomes the lack of the second.

Flamma

Reaction score
The big picture is worse. May I refer you to the performance of this front office for the last qtr century?

Oh I agree. I just don't know what is wrong. Something other than raw talent is affecting this team. That's clear. But this team has been soft, or borderline soft during most of that time. With the only exceptions being when Jimmy and Parcells were the coach. Even some of Bill's weaker teams never played soft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A few months with the loser Cowboys organization will do that to the weak minded.
They sucked last year which is how we got them lol. Teams don’t let good players go to free agency unless they are about to be severely overpaid like Byron Jones.

zerofill

Reaction score
They were all all band aids to begin with. Band aids that didn’t work. Ha Ha didn’t even make this team. OMG. How far has that guy fallen if you can’t even help this D?

I dunno, they probably could pull one of the waterboys off the sideline to help this team, it is so bad.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
It does but he also reaps the benefits of inheriting such a die hard fanbase. He couldn’t pull this crap in Jacksonville.

I couldn’t agree more. It pisses me off that he profits off the tradition started by Tom Landry and Roger, etc... and continued by Jimmy and all... while he’s done nothing but ride on their shoulders the last 25 years... and now made us the laughing stock of the nfl

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Nothing has changed they still need DTs, DEs, S and CBs, now add LB and that’s every position on defense. To me this smells like they’re cleaning up the locker room, you don’t want a bunch of FAs coming in saying how bad it is. That’ll stop the tweets and leaking to the media.

lostar2009

Reaction score
How much dead money did they absorb? Could've gotten one quality FA DT or S.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s amazing that Will and Stephen were getting all the credit and now Daddy gets all the blame . Selective or hypocritical analysis.

Defensive picks in the draft and free agency have generally been poor. Hit on Quinn and Bennett last year, but totally whiffed on defense, using actual money, this year. Griffen, Poe, McCoy, Dix, Worley. Just brutal. All gone. All but 1 gone for poor performance.

The flier on ASmith worked. We should trade him to squeeze value out of him for next year.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
In a word?

Apathy.

Dedicated, noticeable, impactful, undeniable apathy.

If enough people stop caring, and merchandise numbers drop enough, and ratings drop enough, and attendance drops enough, I think that he would ultimately get the message that his act will no longer be tolerated.
He'll need to build a new stadium again someday, so he'll get serious about a real coach then, for a little while at least.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Defensive picks in the draft and free agency have generally been poor. Hit on Quinn and Bennett last year, but totally whiffed on defense, using actual money, this year. Griffen, Poe, McCoy, Dix, Worley. Just brutal. All gone. All but 1 gone for poor performance.

The flier on ASmith worked. We should trade him to squeeze value out of him for next year.

Is this ironic?

"Under Garrett, the usual strategy for NFL free agency was to sit out the first wave -- sometimes even the first two waves -- and instead go bargain shopping in the third and fourth waves, but McCarthy's influence on owner Jerry Jones and the Cowboys front office has seen them depart from the dated blueprint and instead dive right in the pool early and often."

Haimerej

Reaction score
I don't see what you're objecting to.

I agree with that. Though Quinn was an exception to that rule.

I just remember their justification for not jumping into FA being because they didn't want to get fleeced. Then they switch it up, jump right in, and have been fleeced. Seems ironic.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Problem is Reggie Robinson needs to start over Thompson asap.
Trade Woods start Wilson .
See what you have the rest of the season and see if you will need to draft another Safety.
Co.mon since says that. Woods gotta go

I don’t think you could get a box of coffee filters for Woods. He might be the worst S in the league.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would contend those are all serviceable players. The issue is veterans come here and see the toxic culture and just fall into it. It’s all the Jones family.
Jerry is the eternal optimist. It's served him well in every phase of life except wins and losses on rhe football field. I find it sad, really. There is no question he wants the lombardy for his fans. I doubt anyone feels worse about the current state of the cowboys than jerry.
Probably so. Gotta be nerve racking for him.

kumizi

Reaction score
I really loved all the posts here about how Mike McCarthy understands the value of run stuffing defensive tackles and is finally fixing that position.

Then a handful of people pointed out how the Panthers had the worst yards against per rush attempt in the NFL last year with Poe and McCoy as their DTs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Is there another GM in pro sports capable of surviving this kind of pathetic incompetence without getting fired? Only Mike Brown who also owns the bungles. 30 other GMs get fired for this kind of organizational slop.

This screams either laziness or incompetence or both. Damning either way.

It just shows what happens when you are always looking for bargains. If we hired a GM and he was handicapped by the owner to only bargain hunt in FA, we'd probably get the same thing.

You have to get lucky, usually because of extenuating circumstances, like with Aldon Smith when you shop for bargains. Most are going to turn out bad, especially if you are counting on them as starters.