Our former DBs excelling... It's the coaching

visionary

Reaction score
It's the pressure I tell you, it's the pressure of playing for Jerry and the cowboys

The pressure is unbearable

The coaches and players themselves are blameless

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Me too. They're basically the same players they've always been. Some good, some bad. They've made some plays, and they've been beat. Neither is going to the Pro Bowl (unless they're like the 5th alternates)

Newman has played better than Jenkins that's for sure but neither are missed in Dallas honestly.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The last thing I'm gonna do is argue with you over an ex-cowboy. Good riddance to Newman, I don't miss him.

Not arguing. Just pointing out many here thought the guy was abruptly over the hill and like you were happy to see him gone. He's a better corner than anyone on the team and I'd love to have him right now. OTOH, I stated he was too oft injured and couldn't play well enough to do the job. We just were so talent poor they had to put the guy on the field with bad wheels and a bad shoulder for most of one year. We basically had the same problem with Jenkins (shoulder) although he wasn't as talented as Newman then. There are other reasons for them to be gone including salary so it's not cut and dry a bad move to have released them.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
But in this time frame we've had different coaching and defensive coordinators... .. ..

But don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

mrmojo

Reaction score
If you have the front pressure that the bengals have..you will look like an all star
Yup, Quality players in the trenches is what win's championships. We haven't addressed that since Jimmy left.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
I'm telling you....i've seen how our ex-players did today....how our ex-coaches have done today......if we get rid of Romo, Ware and Witten they'd excel even more in their careers.

Yep and maybe they deserve to be let go so that they can stop being held back from achieving their dreams of winning a Super Bowl. Maybe they deserve better.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I agree. Newman had a great career for us but he was getting older, played injured a lot, and was getting burned. I don't have a problem with getting rid of a guy as he starts to get older (although we'd never do that to Romo/Ware/Witten). I don't like how the fans treated him though. He had a great career for us and he got the Roy Williams (safety) treatment. Not to mention, Williams had a great career for us too.

Newman was 33 his last season in Dallas. Ware and Witten aren't 33 yet, so who knows what will happen when they reach that age. And Romo is a QB, so the rules are a bit different.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Newman has been solid but far from stellar.
His issue was being paid like a top 10 guy and then being a 25-30 area CB.

Jenkins issue was money. Once it was clear he wasn't a top line starter he was going to leave.
He was mad at the team and vice versa.
They should have found a way to mend that fence and keep Jenkins IMHO but it is what it is.

The team didn't think either guy sucked. They didn't think they were worth the money they wanted.

If Dallas wants better QB play it'll have to first get better safety play.
We have had arguably the worst safety play in football the past decade.
And that makes CBs look really bad.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you guys think about adding a couple of cornerbacks in the offseason? It might make a difference.

perrykemp

Reaction score
PFF has ranked current and past Cowboys CBs as follows:

46th (Tie) out of 107 - Brandon Carr
46th (Tie) out of 107 - Terrance Newman
85th out of 107 - Maurice Claiborne
89th out of 107 - Mike Jenkins

Basically, there is no negligible difference between the guys the Cowboys replaced (Newman and Jenkins) and Carr and Claiborne which has to be considered a big disappointment considering the amount of resources ($50m+ contract for Carr and multiple top picks for Claiborne) invested in improving the positon.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have always been a Newman guy. But i must admit, i thought he was physically done in his last games as a Cowboy. I thought the numerous groin/hammy injuries simply took away too much of his physical ability. Definitely surprised to see him getting the job done 2 yrs later in Cincy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If Dallas still had Newman, the very first time he got burned on a play people would be screaming about having a 35 year old CB on the team.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Newman was brought up in the Cover 2. So him playing the Cover 2 in Cincy is nothing new. He had a lot of issues with injuries and I think that caused him to no longer be a full-time man coverage cornerback.

Jenkins also had injury issues. And I'll believe that Jenkins is a willing tackler when I see it.

I really don't think Monte Kiffin is the issue here. Between the injuries and the changes in scheme, it has hurt. I think the offense is killing our defense more than anything. The defense seems to piece things together and sort of hangs on and just needs the offense to keep the ball and score points and it often does the opposite of that...punts the ball away and doesn't score points.

Newman was a decent tackler, Jenkins was a terrible tackler. And in today's NFL with all of these short passes designed to create YAC, you needs capable tackling DB's. It also doesn't help that our safety play has been awful from 2004 and on. Roy Williams was great in '04 and '05, but what he had to work with was terrible (i.e. Lynn Scott, Tony Dixon, Keith Davis, etc). We simply don't place much value on the safety position and place a lot of value on 'cover corners' that don't tackle very well. To me, it's an organizational philosophy more than anything.

YR

JackWagon

Reaction score
What do you guys think about adding a couple of cornerbacks in the offseason? It might make a difference.

Goes to show you how much it really means to play CB. Do they really deserve 10 million a year? Much better to spend your dollars on the front 7 rather than at CB.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Goes to show you how much it really means to play CB. Do they really deserve 10 million a year? Much better to spend your dollars on the front 7 rather than at CB.

I'd rather spend it on the safeties and then draft for the front 7.

We need quality players with experience at safety and we need fresh bodies in the front 7 that are not guys we have to find off the street.

YR

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Newman was brought up in the Cover 2. So him playing the Cover 2 in Cincy is nothing new. He had a lot of issues with injuries and I think that caused him to no longer be a full-time man coverage cornerback.

Jenkins also had injury issues. And I'll believe that Jenkins is a willing tackler when I see it.

I really don't think Monte Kiffin is the issue here. Between the injuries and the changes in scheme, it has hurt. I think the offense is killing our defense more than anything. The defense seems to piece things together and sort of hangs on and just needs the offense to keep the ball and score points and it often does the opposite of that...punts the ball away and doesn't score points.

Newman was a decent tackler, Jenkins was a terrible tackler. And in today's NFL with all of these short passes designed to create YAC, you needs capable tackling DB's. It also doesn't help that our safety play has been awful from 2004 and on. Roy Williams was great in '04 and '05, but what he had to work with was terrible (i.e. Lynn Scott, Tony Dixon, Keith Davis, etc). We simply don't place much value on the safety position and place a lot of value on 'cover corners' that don't tackle very well. To me, it's an organizational philosophy more than anything.

YR

I agree its either that and/or just bad drafting over time that has us still trying to dig out of a talent deficit with a cap problem. When you are constantly having to fill holes without the benefit of much FA cap flexibility then you are playing marginal hands at best.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had our guys slotted for the front 7. The issue is, they're all hurt this season, including Crawford, who's a young player we were counting on, and even Bass, who'd shown in camp that he was going to contribute. The rest of the guys backing them up are actually playing better than we have any right to expect. The issue on the DL is injuries.
The coming offseason is the season we slated to address the DL, and I"m sure we'll spend some resources there. But the S problem has been the bigger problem for years, now, and it's still hurting us. I was hoping we'd get lucky and one of the mid-rounders would develop into a quality player. Wilcox has potential, I think, but so far, it's not happening.