Our Jamal Adams is already on the team

quickccc

Reaction score
and his name is Xavier Woods. He is another player I think was misused by the previous coaching staff. Xavier Woods doesn't seem like a ball hawk to me. He has been better laying hits. I think pairing him with a true free safety and playing him close to the line of scrimmage more often would give him the best opportunity to produce. I really wanted the team to bring in Earl Thomas which would have put Woods at SS, or for them to draft a free safety instead of Trysten Hill. Clinton-Dix would fill that role well enough this year but they should try to get a ball hawk for next season.

LOL ..When i saw the title i thought for sure it was gonna be about Donovan Wilson ...not Xavier Wood.

:muttley:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a perfect example of fans overvaluing their own.

Wilson is a special teams player at best.

Woods is an average safety at best.

Well, if anyone would know about "overvaluing" someone, it would be a guy campaigning to give huge money to Clowney, so I'll take your word for it!

:laugh:

Dre11

Reaction score
The old staff used the SS and FS as the same. They thought they could be used in either spot to fool the offense. At least I read that once, they were interchangeable.
Shows, again, how incompetent they were at the scheme as well as coaching.

you do know quite a few team does that, Ron Rivera good defenses in Carolina had that same philosophy that he said he will bring to Washington.. I also think Zimmer in Minnesota uses that same philosphy as well

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
You can't just throw around Jamal Adams comparisons like that, and with WOODS??? Its simply not true. Woods might not even be the starting safety this year, much less an all-pro safety who's arguably best in the business. And please, don't try and compare stats to try and make an argument that the two are in the same breath, because they are not even close. Adams is a superior player in every way, shape, and form.​

J12B

Reaction score
Well, if anyone would know about "overvaluing" someone, it would be a guy campaigning to give huge money to Clowney, so I'll take your word for it!

:laugh:

Clowney has been more impactful than Crawford, Woods and Wilson combined!

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clowney has been more impactful than Crawford, Woods and Wilson combined!

He'd certainly cost more, like combine all of their salaries and double it.

He never has and never will be worth the cost.

The very definition of "overvalued". And overrated.

J12B

Reaction score
He'd certainly cost more, like combine all of their salaries and double it.

He never has and never will be worth the cost.

The very definition of "overvalued". And overrated.

Clowney had an 87.3 PFF grade for 2019.

Khalil Mack had an 86.2.

Dee Ford had and 84.4

Tyrone Crawford had a 58.3

There is a lot more factored into being a good dlineman than just sacks.

quickccc

Reaction score
Better than $17 million for 2 less INT's. :laugh:
Besides they will draft S's next year. I will still roll the dice on Woods this year. He can't be that much worse than Adams for the money, but who knows he could be better. :D

you mean draft a safety high ? .. or another mid to late round developmental/special teams type ?
(ala Donovan Wilson) ... i just wonder how many passing years have we've been saying that ?
and how many more years are we gonna keep saying that in the future ?
Would we have really pulled the trigger on Juan Thornhill in the 2nd round if not for T. Hill ?
i just dunno how much this team values safety when it comes to the NFL draft.

That being said, the only thing i can probably be on board with Cowboys is taking a safety
in the first round only they thought he is that much of a blue chipper to pass over.
(ala Gerwin James, Minka Fitzpatrick) Not just taking a safety that high for the sake of needing a safety
that badly.

o_O

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clowney had an 87.3 PFF grade for 2019.

Khalil Mack had an 86.2.

Dee Ford had and 84.4

Tyrone Crawford had a 58.3

There is a lot more to being a good dlineman than just sacks.

Certainly more than what some nerds at PFF and their 'grades' would have you believe.

It's the typical excuse attempted for the guys that don't get those sacks - like Clowney.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Look, I Like Woods as much as the next guy.... errrr well, maybe not as much as the OP.

J12B

Reaction score
Certainly more than what some nerds at PFF and their 'grades' would have you believe.

It's the typical excuse attempted for the guys that don't get those sacks - like Clowney.

PFF is an established sports grading company so there analysis has merit.

And I watched Clowney play his last year with the Texans and last season with the Seahawks.

He is still disruptive. Much more than Crawford has ever been.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFF is an established sports grading company so there analysis has merit.

Not here it doesn't.

And I watched Clowney play his last year with the Texans and last season with the Seahawks.

I did too. Amazing that someone that physically talented manages to produce so little. But that's always been the case with him. And it's why the Texans traded him away for a bag of chips and why the Seahawks didn't keep him. Not worth the price tag. Return never meets investment.

You're chasing a false narrative. I don't want Crawford either. I'm also not dumb enough to think about paying Clowney's ridiculous asking price that his play has never warranted.

J12B

Reaction score
Not here it doesn't.

I did too. Amazing that someone that physically talented manages to produce so little. But that's always been the case with him. And it's why the Texans traded him away for a bag of chips and why the Seahawks didn't keep him. Not worth the price tag. Return never meets investment.

You're chasing a false narrative. I don't want Crawford either. I'm also not dumb enough to think about paying Clowney's ridiculous asking price that his play has never warranted.[/QUOTE]

1 year at 16 million is worth a gamble.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 year at 16 million is worth a gamble.

You want to "gamble" $16 million? That's crazy talk.

And I'm very glad that the Cowboys have zero interest in doing anything like that.

'This ain't Madden'.

J12B

Reaction score
You want to "gamble" $16 million? That's crazy talk.

And I'm very glad that the Cowboys have zero interest in doing anything like that.

'This ain't Madden'.

Releasing Crawford would free up $8 million so we will have cap space.

Clowney can consistently create pressure against opposing qbs and is great against the run.

He probably will get to the QB more with Lawrence taking on double teams. 10 sacks is a possibility. Crawford-no chance at 10 sacks.

And again, he had a higher PFF grade than Mack who is making 22 million per year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Releasing Crawford would free up $8 million.

Half of what Clowney is looking for.

Sign Griffen at close to that price.

Clowney can consistently create pressure against opposing qbs and is great against the run.

He probably will get to the QB more with Lawrence taking on double teams. 10 sacks is a possibility. Crawford-no chance at 10 sacks.

Really? How many double digit sack seasons did he have opposite JJ Watt?

I'll let you answer that one.

And again, he had a higher PFF grade than Mack who is making 22 million per year.

And far less production. An indictment of PFF's grades, nothing more.

Mack is making those $22 million because he has gotten those sacks. Clowney never has.