Our Jamal Adams is already on the team

J12B

Reaction score
Half of what Clowney is looking for.

Sign Griffen at close to that price.

Really? How many double digit sack seasons did he have opposite JJ Watt?

I'll let you answer that one.

And far less production. An indictment of PFF's grades, nothing more.

Mack is making those $22 million because he has gotten those sacks. Clowney never has.

I'd be happy with Griffen and no Crawford.

Sure, not a problem at all.
In 2018 Clowney had 9 sacks and Watt had 16.
In 2017 Clowney had 9.5 sacks and Watt only played 5 games that season.
In 2016 Clowney had 6 sacks and Watt only played 3 games.
In 2015, basically Clowney's rookie season, he had 4.5 sacks and Watt 17.5 sacks.

Oh and Watt had 4 sacks last year in 8 games.

It is obvious that Clowney made Watt a better DE and Clowney was still productive while Watt was out.

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be happy with Griffen and no Crawford.

Sure, not a problem at all.
In 2018 Clowney had 9 sacks and Watt had 16.
In 2017 Clowney had 9.5 sacks and Watt only played 5 games that season.
In 2016 Clowney had 6 sacks and Watt only played 3 games.
In 2015, basically Clowney's rookie season, he had 4.5 sacks and Watt 17.5 sacks.

Oh and Watt had 4 sacks last year in 8 games.

So the answer is 0 then? Clowney has had 0 double digit sack seasons.

It is obvious that Clowney made Watt a better DE and Clowney was still productive while Watt was out.

So now it’s Clowney that made Watt? Will the nonsense ever stop?

J12B

Reaction score
So the answer is 0 then? Clowney has had 0 double digit sack seasons.

So now it’s Clowney that made Watt? Will the nonsense ever stop?

Yeah zero. But he had 2 seasons with 9 and 9.5 sacks. That says a lot especially considering he lined up a majority of the time inside. Quit looking at sacks as the only metric in evaluating dline.

My point was that Watt clearly benefits with talent around him like every single other player in the NFL. And Clowney only played with Watt for 2 seasons.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sometimes when I watched him last year, I wondered if he was overthinking. It was odd watching him at times, because he almost seemed to make a real effort to get to where the ball was, but once he was there he had no idea where it was.
I agree, and feel the same about Awuzie, almost like they are missing a certain something...like talent.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Clowney isnt a great player, and no way has lived up to being the first pick in the draft...

But he is way better than whoever they are gonna run out there at RDE this year.

Maybe they have other plans or hopes for the long run, but he is an upgrade over anything currently here.

Worth the money or the trouble? That's a different argument.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah zero. But he had 2 seasons with 9 and 9.5 sacks. That says a lot especially considering he lined up a majority of the time inside. Quit looking at sacks as the only metric in evaluating dline.

I’ll ‘quit’ when the NFL does.

My point was that Watt clearly benefits with talent around him like every single other player in the NFL. And Clowney only played with Watt for 2 seasons.[/QUOTE

Which STILL wasn’t enough to get him to double digit sacks. My point.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not here it doesn't.

I did too. Amazing that someone that physically talented manages to produce so little. But that's always been the case with him. And it's why the Texans traded him away for a bag of chips and why the Seahawks didn't keep him. Not worth the price tag. Return never meets investment.

You're chasing a false narrative. I don't want Crawford either. I'm also not dumb enough to think about paying Clowney's ridiculous asking price that his play has never warranted.
Stash, I'm pretty sure much of this is predicated on Clowney settling for 1 for 10-12 type deal as opposed to what he was seeking early on.

He is definitely disruptive, and would be an upgrade over anyone here now.

Dont tell me if you had to pick one youd want Crawford at 8m over Clowney at 12ish.

That's a no brainer, and also probably not something he would settle for, or the team would give.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
500 coaches can win with this talent.
500 qb's can win with this team.
500 safeties can do what Darren Woodson did.

So where are the Super Bowls?

Reactions: BAT

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, I'm pretty sure much of this is predicated on Clowney settling for 1 for 10-12 type deal as opposed to what he was seeking early on.

He is definitely disruptive, and would be an upgrade over anyone here now.

Dont tell me if you had to pick one youd want Crawford at 8m over Clowney at 12ish.

That's a no brainer, and also probably not something he would settle for, or the team would give.

Not at all. If the numbers were anywhere close to that? I'm interested.

Fact is that Clowney's demands are still so high that teams have stopped talking to him.

I can't see him taking that number nor the Cowboys giving it to him.

I put the odds much higher of signing Griffen.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good observation and it will be interesting to watch how it plays out this season.
We have a new head coach and like we said before I don’t know how good the talent on this team truly is can’t wait

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you mean draft a safety high ? .. or another mid to late round developmental/special teams type ?
(ala Donovan Wilson) ... i just wonder how many passing years have we've been saying that ?
and how many more years are we gonna keep saying that in the future ?
Would we have really pulled the trigger on Juan Thornhill in the 2nd round if not for T. Hill ?
i just dunno how much this team values safety when it comes to the NFL draft.

That being said, the only thing i can probably be on board with Cowboys is taking a safety
in the first round only they thought he is that much of a blue chipper to pass over.
(ala Gerwin James, Minka Fitzpatrick) Not just taking a safety that high for the sake of needing a safety
that badly.

o_O

Passing on Thornhill was under the old staff, we know how they were. The new staff, we seen the new Jerry, as he stuck to the board at BPA. Give him a top S next year, and we will see. :D

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong this year but our safety position on paper and film has been and still is one on the weakest positions on the team. Everyone looks at pics and coverage which is very important but our line up is also very suspect with run support. Esp. when Smith (our "great" MLB) fails the play which is quite often. Dix tackles with his helmet and Woods either hits direct or misses the tackle completely and often looks lost on coverage.
Perhaps our new DC will be able to help with that but I'll wait to see it on the field.
You pick your poison.
Safety position is this teams poison.
Every team has a build model, and every team has to choose which position they must try and accommodate and in doing so you allow cap to transcend other positions.
I will say that we have more options now on this roster to possibly elevate the position, more talent that can fit that role.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I cant think of a dominant defense that didnt have a guy ready to lay a smack, and make WRs think about the idea that they are there.

Not wanting to pay the price for Adams, or not thinking he is that is one thing...

But thinking Woods IS is some funny stuff. He isnt.

Wilson probably isnt either, but we dont know that yet.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not true. Not the Marinelli and Kris Richard years.

The secondary coach before Richard played Byron Jones at SS in 2017. It's comical that fans didn't even notice...

Bryon Jones biggest asset in those years was his ability to cover the TE, yes he was the team's SS.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You pick your poison.
Safety position is this teams poison.
Every team has a build model, and every team has to choose which position they must try and accommodate and in doing so you allow cap to transcend other positions.
I will say that we have more options now on this roster to possibly elevate the position, more talent that can fit that role.
Mahomes. Put up five Hail Marys in the Super Bowl. Free safety strong safety if the cornerbacks had any help whatsoever maybe San Francisco wins that game. We have an upgrade with Clinton Dix but not much. I didn’t want Elliot in the draft I wanted the safety So-called quarterback. I agree other than special-teams is been our Achilles’ heel

quickccc

Reaction score
Passing on Thornhill was under the old staff, we know how they were. The new staff, we seen the new Jerry, as he stuck to the board at BPA. Give him a top S next year, and we will see. :D

McClay weighted very heavily on the draft choices we picked.
And as he served under Garrett regime, he will do so here as well, with the new coaching regime.
Coaches and even the executives such as the Jones, don't know draft value and what round most draftees are warranted going in, until it is relayed onto them by the player personnel staff.

It's McClay's board that Jerry is going by and making McClays' preferred pick official at call-in.
the big difference with this past draft is McClay can still to his board a great deal more than having to feel
pressured by Marinell's quick twitch and preference in drafting a player just to please Rod.

That resulted in selecting the best player available on their draft board in CeeDee Lamb over a needy pick in LSU's K’Lavon Chaisson. In such case in the past, Marnelli would have had his wish in Chaisson, rather than having a chance at the next DeAndre Hopkins.

Just about everybody in the nation was already predicting and it had to assume we'd be picking K’Lavon Chaisson instead..