Our middle tier free agents

Verdict

Reaction score
Van Jaylon is catchy. I'd rather have Van Jay Lee.

Lee shouldn't be a backup. He should start on the strong side.

Or let's just say he should start in the base, and they should figure out the best positions for each. I thought that was Lee WLB, Jaylon SLB, and LVE MLB. But they can figure that out.

In nickel, take out Lee. Or better, let Lee and LVE take traditional zone coverage roles of LBs, and let Jaylon be more of a wild card, playing man coverage on TEs like Byron used to do, or blitzing. Let Jaylon be a real big honking in the box SS in nickel.

And having Lee as a guy to backup LVE and Jaylon is some very nice depth.

Lee's almost immediate talk of retirement sounds like he's feeling down about his performance this year. Probably doesn't feel he is worth 7. I bet he would take a discount, and make it play dependent too. If the Cowboys made an offer now and let him know they think he could have a lot more in the tank, that could keep him playing and get us a very team friendly deal.

Lee is worth a couple mil cap just as a coach developing LVE and Jaylon. He had a crappy year, but I bet he can come back from it. There's value there that we should see about tapping. His upside is pretty high.

The upside of all three of them playing together is really high. We shouldn't be so eager to throw that chance away.

Lee is a great guy. Lee will be a great coach. Lee is most likely done as a player and he knows it. I doubt he tries to milk it like Witten did.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lee is a great guy. Lee will be a great coach. Lee is most likely done as a player and he knows it. I doubt he tries to milk it like Witten did.

Could be done as a player. Unless his body really can't get right, I don't see any reason he should be done at his age.

Probably never an All Pro anymore. But a very good player? A good player? And however he plays himself, he makes the guys around him better on the field and off the field.

The only issue I have with Witten is taking too many snaps, and keeping guys who should have been on the field off of it. Swaim should have gotten more of a chance to develop. But there's no shame in contributing to the team, even if you're not the great player you once were. I've got extra respect for guys who can face up to their decline, let better players step forward, while still contributing what they can. I can see Lee being that kind of guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Fleming may see a bump in pay.

I would have thought so too, but listening to Mickey, Broadus, and others, it sounded like they thought Fleming stunk and we got lucky to get wins with him on the field.

I'll be interested to see what happens. I think Williams should be our swing next year. Actually, back up everything but center.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would have thought so too, but listening to Mickey, Broadus, and others, it sounded like they thought Fleming stunk and we got lucky to get wins with him on the field.

I'll be interested to see what happens. I think Williams should be our swing next year. Actually, back up everything but center.

I like that idea as well. Williams is built to be an OT rather than a guard.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Could be done as a player. Unless his body really can't get right, I don't see any reason he should be done at his age.

Probably never an All Pro anymore. But a very good player? A good player? And however he plays himself, he makes the guys around him better on the field and off the field.

The only issue I have with Witten is taking too many snaps, and keeping guys who should have been on the field off of it. Swaim should have gotten more of a chance to develop. But there's no shame in contributing to the team, even if you're not the great player you once were. I've got extra respect for guys who can face up to their decline, let better players step forward, while still contributing what they can. I can see Lee being that kind of guy.
The NFL is No Country for Old LBers

SLee is done in DAL.... no one hired NBowman this year..... SLee would be a terrible SAM.... he was moved to WILL to protect him and he still can't stay healthy

Verdict

Reaction score

Fleming seemed to have played ok. Mickey is a reject and Broaddus is a nice guy but seems to have limited knowledge. I can't believe he was a real life scout.

Verdict

Reaction score

SLee is done in DAL.... no one hired NBowman this year..... SLee would be a terrible SAM.... he was moved to WILL to protect him and he still can't stay healthy

I don't understand how anyone who actually watched Sean Lee play this year would want him on the field for us next year unless he drastically improves

Verdict

Reaction score
I think they have him penciled in to take over for Collins in 2020. They should.

Yeah. Maybe we will draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd and let Collins walk at the end of his contract. Or maybe we trade him.

I just don't understand why they don't flip Williams and Collins. Collins is built to be a guard.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think Beasley and Wilson are cap casualties. Wilson is a decent LB and ST player that could be replaced in the draft for a lot less money.

Beasley will probably price himself out IMO. He’s good, just not worth what I’ve read he thinks he’s worth. If a Cowboys fan is honest and takes the “fan glasses” off, he’s not even a top 20 receiver in this league and will be 30 next season. Which means you should NOT pay big bucks for a 30 year old slot receiver who’s 5’8” and has declining skills.
Dead on about Beasley.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

People hire you if you're cheap enough.

Lee's injury problems have been hamstrings lately. Not a contact issue. If we make the contract pay for play, getting injured doesn't hurt us. Lee has value on the sideline.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
People hire you if you're cheap enough.

Lee's injury problems have been hamstrings lately. Not a contact issue. If we make the contract pay for play, getting injured doesn't hurt us. Lee has value on the sideline.
JSmith and LVE don't need to come off the field
Any big body can play the SAM

We don't need a mascot..... we need young athletes that can fly around

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe we will draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd and let Collins walk at the end of his contract. Or maybe we trade him.

I just don't understand why they don't flip Williams and Collins. Collins is built to be a guard.

Collins just wasn't that good as a guard. He's a pretty solid tackle. He's better at a more costly position.

I think churning LGs with vets should be pretty easy. LG is the graveyard of olinemen. Where you go when your career is winding down. Power and experience will get you by.

We've got 3 under contract next year. SuaFilo, Looney, Ehinger. I thought churning veteran LGs was going to be their plan for the oline when they paid Collins for RT. I doubt we would have picked up Williams if we didn't perceive him to have dropped so far.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
JSmith and LVE don't need to come off the field
Any big body can play the SAM

We don't need a mascot..... we need young athletes that can fly around

I don't like that theory that we should put a nothing at SAM. I don't think any position should be considered a nothing. Maybe you put less resources into it, but I want good players at every position if I can get them.

And all those young athletes flying around can use an on the field coach like Lee to make up for what they lack in brains and recognition. Lee made our defenses better.

I'll take a healthy Lee over a Damien Wilson at SAM any day. And we won't even have a Damien Wilson next year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't care what Lee SAYS. Lol. His play says he is done. If his level of play gets better, awesome, he can stick around. If not he can become a coach.

All of this "he was good before so he gets a pass now" stuff is really idiotic. He has to be able to play NOW. What he did before is irrrelevant.

I'm just glad that you have nothing to do with personnel...even pretty cold as a fan. I'll just ignore a kick him out the door comment in the future.

I guess the man part was too tough to listen too...better check for tooth gap as well.