Our roster is a disaster

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
HUGE amounts of money due the next two years to four players who are declining: Zeke, T. Smith, DLaw, & J. Smith. If we do the classic Cowboys move and restructure those guys, the pain is stretched out more years. We're basically trapped with four massive contracts (T. Smith can be cut after next year without too much pain, but not the other three).

Young players with potential becoming FA with little money leftover to sign them: Awuzie ('21), Williams ('22), Gregory ('22), Gallup ('22), Schultz ('22), Knight ('22).

Not to mention $6M in dead money for Travis Frederick next year, plus an astronomical contract for Dak.

So it seems we're destined to continue doing our magical cap manipulation while we shop the free agent bargain bin, which has produced ugly results lately. Ugh.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
Culture plus Coaching and Contracts equals Cowboys Cancer.

Today's message brought to you by the letter C.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Are the numbers in parentheses supposed to be the ages of those players?

fivetwos

Reaction score
The year they become a free agent.
Ahh ok.

I think theres some flexibility after 2021. Maybe not so much for Elliott, but I think they will be able to keep who they want of their own.

I dont think the roster is all that bad, but large money is allocated to guys that arent at all earning it.....that's for certain

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Despite all the roster issues this team performs in the category that matters most. Team value. That’s my super bowl.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HUGE amounts of money due the next two years to four players who are declining: Zeke, T. Smith, DLaw, & J. Smith. If we do the classic Cowboys move and restructure those guys, the pain is stretched out more years. We're basically trapped with four massive contracts (T. Smith can be cut after next year without too much pain, but not the other three).

Young players with potential becoming FA with little money leftover to sign them: Awuzie ('21), Williams ('22), Gregory ('22), Gallup ('22), Schultz ('22), Knight ('22).

Not to mention $6M in dead money for Travis Frederick next year, plus an astronomical contract for Dak.

So it seems we're destined to continue doing our magical cap manipulation while we shop the free agent bargain bin, which has produced ugly results lately. Ugh.
Come May we will be Superbowl bound here in the CZ once again.
Jerry has the best customers in the NFL....:yourock:

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Ahh ok.

I think theres some flexibility after 2021. Maybe not so much for Elliott, but I think they will be able to keep who they want of their own.

I dont think the roster is all that bad, but large money is allocated to guys that arent at all earning it.....that's for certain

Check out the cap numbers. No flexibility with Zeke, J. Smith or D. Law till at least 2022. Even then it would be painful. We're trapped.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Young players with potential becoming FA with little money leftover to sign them: Awuzie (21), Williams (22), Gregory (22), Gallup (22), Schultz (22), Knight (22).

Why do you concern yourself with this minutia? It's not like Stephen Jones doesn't always find a way to put together one of the most talented rosters, year after year. It's the coaching that's been bitting us in the arse.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
One of Jerry’s best customers has spoken!

p.s.until he lets Dak hit the road .....:muttley:
One of Jerry’s best customers has spoken!

p.s.until he lets Dak hit the road .....:muttley:
Don't like Jerry and Dak is going to be here for another 10 years so get use to it and quit whining all the time, every day, every thread, every post.

catiii

Reaction score
Most experts and at least half of us said how stoopid the Zeke contract was and how stooopid Jones was to pay him 2 years early. Dem chickens comin home to roost for
dem two arkansas bogans. Too bad their stoopid decisions don't affect their income. It's all a real life Madden game to those clowns and ain't nuthin' any of us can do 'bout any of it.
Now they gonna make another stooopid decision w Dak........

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

When did Dlaw decline? Lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Zeke and Jaylon are the big ones, other then that, I dont see any big problems.

Offense is stacked just need to move on from ZEke. Defense is where the big problems lie. If we can get a top 7 pick and use most of the draft on defense that will be a great start.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Why do you concern yourself with this minutia? It's not like Stephen Jones doesn't always find a way to put together one of the most talented rosters, year after year. It's the coaching that's been bitting us in the arse.

I can't tell if you're serious calling this a talented roster with zero pro bowl players. I'll admit that, if Dak gets signed and Martin & Collins return healthy, the offense will be talented. But our defense has so many holes we literally have need at every single position. Outside of several quality free agent signing, which we can't afford, it would take at least two years of excellent drafts focused on defense to rebuild it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I can't tell if you're serious calling this a talented roster with zero pro bowl players. I'll admit that, if Dak gets signed and Martin & Collins return healthy, the offense will be talented. But our defense has so many holes we literally have need at every single position. Outside of several quality free agent signing, which we can't afford, it would take at least two years of excellent drafts focused on defense to rebuild it.
With a healthy roster and proper coaching, we have one of the more talented rosters in the league.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Because Cap Hell, that's why! Cap Hell I tells ya!!!!

I see someone is getting their 2021 Offseason Cap Hell threads out of the way early.