Our roster is a disaster

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Okay, you're being sarcastic. I couldn't tell.
DLaw, Gregory and Aldon Smith aren't talented? Jaylon Smith and LVE aren't talented? We need help in our secondary but the talent on D is there. They just need to be coached better. Tackling wasn't even allowed at training camp this year.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
DLAW, Diggs, Gallimore, Gregory, Smith, LVE, Jaylon, Awuzie

Lots of guys on this defense have talent, they just aren't producing. Big difference.

DLaw - yes
Diggs & Gallimore - hopeful, but not proven.
Gregory - maybe, only under contract one more year
Smith - rental
LVE - damaged goods, a shell of the player he was his rookie year
Jaylon - below average LB, grossly overpaid
Awuzie - will be a Cowboy 2 more games

This is one of the least talented defenses in the NFL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wouldn't put Gallimore on the list yet but IMO Gallimore and Hill combined at 3T can certainly be listed as talent at the position.

The other factor is coaching, if no one anywhere would have questioned LVE and Jaylon being on the list prior this year it tells you the coaching is a big part of the issue.
Bingo...I think this team is above average in identifying talent, but have completely whiffed on developing defensive players and adapting scheme to fit player strengths.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
DLaw - yes
Smith - rental

Disagree. Again your'e talking about production, not talent. I agree nearly everyone on that list has under performed, but is that always a reflection of talent? No, and i would almost bet over half of those players would be impactful players on other teams. All drafted in the top half of the draft, all shown at least flashes of great play, and nearly all have regressed under the new defensive staff. That is where im placing the blame. If this roster really is that bad then Mike Nolan should get a pass this year. I'm not ready to go there just yet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
DLaw - yes
Smith - rental

All a matter of opinion.

conner01

Reaction score
HUGE amounts of money due the next two years to four players who are declining: Zeke, T. Smith, DLaw, & J. Smith. If we do the classic Cowboys move and restructure those guys, the pain is stretched out more years. We're basically trapped with four massive contracts (T. Smith can be cut after next year without too much pain, but not the other three).

Young players with potential becoming FA with little money leftover to sign them: Awuzie ('21), Williams ('22), Gregory ('22), Gallup ('22), Schultz ('22), Knight ('22).

Not to mention $6M in dead money for Travis Frederick next year, plus an astronomical contract for Dak.

So it seems we're destined to continue doing our magical cap manipulation while we shop the free agent bargain bin, which has produced ugly results lately. Ugh.
Jaylon can be cut after next year fairly cheap and I expect it
Zeke is 2 more years away
Dlaw I think they are fine with
Smith could be cut next year if they wanted
I don’t think any team is spending huge on FA this off season and I think it’s possible with the cap situation to get a good FA or two on one year deals so they can hit the market the next year with better options
But like every year you aren’t buying a roster, you have to draft the majority of you roster
So I don’t think our roster is as bad as some think and not out of the ordinary for the league as a whole

Kaiser

Reaction score
Disagree. Again your'e talking about production, not talent.

He says talent but he means young, underpaid defensive talent with zero history of injury. When rules out every player in our division except the Commanders DL, which cost them a bunch of #1 draft picks. And those guys will be off the list soon because they will hit their FA contract years.

Bluefin

Reaction score
They also moved Leighton Vander Esch to MLB so that Jaylon Smith would be able to "excel" at WLB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This roster disaster has managed to win 3 straight and get back in the playoff hunt.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
A disaster? Yeah, we've got issues especially defensively.

Offensively, get some guys healthy again and we can become a double-digit win team (especially in this division).

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
HUGE amounts of money due the next two years to four players who are declining: Zeke, T. Smith, DLaw, & J. Smith. If we do the classic Cowboys move and restructure those guys, the pain is stretched out more years. We're basically trapped with four massive contracts (T. Smith can be cut after next year without too much pain, but not the other three).

Young players with potential becoming FA with little money leftover to sign them: Awuzie ('21), Williams ('22), Gregory ('22), Gallup ('22), Schultz ('22), Knight ('22).

Not to mention $6M in dead money for Travis Frederick next year, plus an astronomical contract for Dak.

So it seems we're destined to continue doing our magical cap manipulation while we shop the free agent bargain bin, which has produced ugly results lately. Ugh.
What you don’t like having players that don’t fit your scheme, oh that’s right we don’t have a scheme

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Smith makes like 10 million dollars a year which is nothing for a starting left tackle.

Lawrence makes plays every game and this game in and game out the focused of every pass protection.

Zeke cost us Jones which is a huge loss but outside of that I really don't see it